DIY : Silver Interconnects

vin_eme

All,

i was kind of fascinated by the Silver interconnects for long. Wanted to see how it fared with my moderate setup. Was trying to source the necessary materials. Finally my dreams came through. I am putting a small write up below

Source of inspiration for the DIY : Make Your Own Silver Audio Cables

Ingredients :)p)
PTFE Spaghetti Tubing:
Sourced from SP Road Bangalore for 20rs/mtr. Purchased to required length
20120819204651.jpg

Silver Wire:
This was the tough part to source. Which took me so long. Had to hunt down to a jeweler in Trichy, who agreed to get this wire done as per my specs (99.99% purity, 0.8 mm dia). Again 1mtr~5 gms @ 58 rs/gm on that day.
20120819212214.jpg

Silver ICs:
Sourced this from SP Road Bangalore for 65 Rs/peice. These are neutrix silver plated connectors.
20120819204851.jpg

Silver Based Solder:
Again tough part to source this since these are not available in lose. Everything is available in 1kg and above. Got this as per my Spec (Lead Free, Sn 96%, Ag 3.9%, Cu 0.1%). Cost 3000rs/kg
20120819205011.jpg

20120819205025.jpg

Cotton Gloves:
I used my jockey socks as the cotton gloves :lol:

Steps followed:
With all the above ingredients i started assembling as per the instructions given in the link provided on top. Finally i was done and the output are the fantastic Silver DIY Interconnects
20120820000012.jpg

Listening Impressions:
With my moderate setup, i can clearly see there is an improved sound stage, Clearer and crisps highs. Couldnt see much change in Bass. Also the voices are tad bit clearer.

Total Cost:D (for my spec)
Silver = 4500
Tubing = 350
Connectors = 975
SilverSolder = 600
------------------
Total = 6425 (~120$)

Cheers,
Vincent

That's pretty hardcore man! Amazing how you sourced though, IMO those connectors are probably a bottleneck in the design, with that high level of purity it deserves wbt nextgen interconnect plugs or eichman bullets, they are unconventional designs with 300%+ conductivity than normal rca connector designs.

wbt-0152cu.jpg

b0brh.jpg

Mind you they are expensive but regardless, keep an eye out for them on foreign websites for used pieces.

All,

i was kind of fascinated by the Silver interconnects for long. Wanted to see how it fared with my moderate setup. Was trying to source the necessary materials. Finally my dreams came through. I am putting a small write up below

Source of inspiration for the DIY : Make Your Own Silver Audio Cables

What you have done is praise worthy. Kudos to the effort taken and the perseverance. The only thing that i am wondering is that silver oxidizes fast. So if the silver cable is spray-painted on the surface or dipped in paint and dried, that could prevent the oxidization.

http://www.everbritecoatings.com/tarnish_prevention.html

Last edited:
Nice one Vince, that link you have posted has a lot of good info too, was reading it yesterday.

Could you please tell me which shop in SP Road you bought the PTFE Spaghetti Tubing? I will need it for single strand copper speaker cable that I am making.

What you have done is praise worthy. Kudos to the effort taken and the perseverance. The only thing that i am wondering is that silver oxidizes fast. So if the silver cable is spray-painted on the surface or dipped in paint and dried, that could prevent the oxidization.

How to Prevent tarnish and oxidation on brass, copper, bronze and silver.

I totally agree mbhangui, as you would be aware when silver oxides due to contaminants, the resulting silver oxide is better conductor than polished silver.. :)

Make Your Own Silver Audio Cables

Nice one Vince, that link you have posted has a lot of good info too, was reading it yesterday.

Could you please tell me which shop in SP Road you bought the PTFE Spaghetti Tubing? I will need it for single strand copper speaker cable that I am making.

Well i dont remember the name of the shop santhosh, but its right next to Universal transformer (Oppposite to Vishal).
Or you can try in the cable shop below universal. He might also have it. Carry a picture of this when you are going there. Also there are various dias you get it in ....

That's pretty hardcore man! Amazing how you sourced though, IMO those connectors are probably a bottleneck in the design, with that high level of purity it deserves wbt nextgen interconnect plugs or eichman bullets, they are unconventional designs with 300%+ conductivity than normal rca connector designs.

wbt-0152cu.jpg

b0brh.jpg

Mind you they are expensive but regardless, keep an eye out for them on foreign websites for used pieces.

i was totally on those lines Cor, but they are way to expensive. I checked on similar gold plated ones which were like 480 rs per piece. Since i need 10 of them, it would have been more expensive. But maybe on the long run, i will source these... :)

i was totally on those lines Cor, but they are way to expensive. I checked on similar gold plated ones which were like 480 rs per piece. Since i need 10 of them, it would have been more expensive. But maybe on the long run, i will source these... :)
Check out the Switchcraft 3502A or the Rean ones. BIG bang for the buck.

very great , original diy work specially local sourcing information.

points to note for upcoming DIY people:

Silver interconnects normally are forward sounding, so DIY interconnects need 'not' be always pure silver.Good copper ones do very well as well.

If you are doing copper ones bluejeans cable is one place to get sure shot high quality wires for price.many times import costs less than getting locally.

(It is just like all people want to have a tube preamp but many entry level SS pre sounds much better than tube ones )
OFC Copper coated with silver option :
Well made silver coated OFC wire(SILVER SONIC BL-1 ) from here AUDIOPHILE answers will go a great job for 24USD (shipped . approx Rs 1200)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160676762258.
Add 200rs neutrik RCAs thats all.

Last edited:
If that's your quote then you are inviting wrath of tube lovers.;)
Beware :D

i also love tube but they are good when matched properly .yes the tubes look cool. just wanted to point out that basic SS pre also help for a better chain.

Inspired by this thread I built my first DIY interconnect.Fm Murli N. sent me single core shielded Teflon wire and Tin plated good quality Neutrik Connectors.

dsc05355t.jpg

It sounds very nice in my set up.Though I am a non believer in cable but I do believe in capacitance and shielding.This cable provides right capacitance(low) to my set up.Thank you Murli Sir for sending me this.

Regards,
Sachin

Congratulations for a really great endeavor. Like another posted, silver interconnects are usually quite forward and therefore you are perceiving more extension in the highs etc. Sometimes this can be to the point of unrealistic brightness and sharpness. It would be interesting to try the same exercise with good quality copper wire to see the difference. I personally have always preferred copper, except perhaps when it comes to digital interconnects (SPDIF) sometimes. Well done! .....strange my system has no analogue interconnects anymore, unless I hook up my CD player. Today (bandh) may be a good day to do it :)

Congratulations for a really great endeavor. Like another posted, silver interconnects are usually quite forward and therefore you are perceiving more extension in the highs etc. Sometimes this can be to the point of unrealistic brightness and sharpness. It would be interesting to try the same exercise with good quality copper wire to see the difference. I personally have always preferred copper, except perhaps when it comes to digital interconnects (SPDIF) sometimes. Well done! .....strange my system has no analogue interconnects anymore, unless I hook up my CD player. Today (bandh) may be a good day to do it :)
dh labs ICs are a good mix of silver on ofc..i tested a .5mtr pair,sounds great.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back