DIY Subwoofer Mumbai

deven_shah

Hi!! All

I will be shortly having Denon 1910 & Mirage Nanosat 5.0.

I will need subwoofer which i am planning to make it myself.

Can someone Pl help/guide me in making a subwoofer in a range on 8 to 10k.

I am confused with whether i need a Amp or Crossover to make Subwoofer?

FYI :- I am in Mumbai

Regards
Deven

I dont think with a budget of 8K you will be able to make a powered sub. The three components you need are a cabinet- cost will depend on the size, a sub driver, and a plate amp with crossover. You need to research this a bit and arrive at a realistic budget-my guess is that it may cost you close to 20K for a good sub, 12 inch driver about $200-250, amp about $150-75 and box about 7-8K. Ig you go for a fancy cub it can cost you significantly more. Drivers and plate amps may not be available locally so budget some cost for shipping from overseas.

Thx!! Guys for such a quick reply

So if i understand right, powered sub requires Amp & Crossover.

Are Peerless drivers good for sub? as they are available in Mumbai.

I have some carpentry work gng on at my place so i can get the wooden box done.

Regards
Deven

Peerless India makes drivers and sells them internationally, but I dont know about specific models. Ideally you want a sub woofer driver designed for this purpose, and 12 inch dia is a normal size, though you may be able to get awy with 10 inches.

This can be used after some modelling( so you will have to get some parameters) in a suitable MDF enclosure- sealed box is an easy recommendation-some of the other designs( ported/passive radiators) are not so easy to implement.Get hold of a suitable plate amp( 150-25 watts) with a built in crossover, and voila you are in business!

Hi!! All

I will need subwoofer which i am planning to make it myself.

Can someone Pl help/guide me in making a subwoofer in a range on 8 to 10k.

I am confused with whether i need a Amp or Crossover to make Subwoofer?

10K? Doable - check this. There is a nice and inexpensive plate amp. in there. Good drivers too. Grab the amp., a driver, model an enclosure and you have yourself a sub.

Last edited:
I had made notes [don't remember when] that using the Foster plate amp and the AR 12 drivers, the box dims [inner] should be a 16" cube with two 2.5" x 12.75" ports. This is taking into account the volume of the driver, the amp, the ports and some bracing.

Really don't remember where I got this from. I'll try to rack my brains hard to remember. Problem is that there is not much to rack. I mean brains. :lol:

Edit: Also had a note saying that the box should be very well sealed.

Last edited:
I have followed a simple rule w.r.t audio and hifi-go for good quality components to use as building blocks and go by reviews of people you trust. In general, since DIY gives you a bigger bang for your buck than commercial products you can afford to up the ante a bit, since it is cheaper to start with, anyway.This may not lead to the lowest cost option, but hey what you pay is what you get!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hi!! All

Sorry to divert from main topic. Me and my friend Visited DNM enterprise | DNM Audio | DNM product | DNM Audio product | dilip bajaj | audio equipment | Audio Dealer in mumbai | Audio Dealer in andheri | Audio Dealer in india | sound equipment | speakers | Graphic Equalizers | Amplifiers | Audio Card Reader yesterday . Demo of DNM audio tower speakers on Yamaha AVR was mind blowing.

Me and my freind personally felt there was no need for sub with those tower.

Tower had 2 woofer, one mid range driver and one Silk dome tweeter.One thing we noticed that was driver cone was paper.

It costed arroud 25k.

Regards
Deven

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back