DIY tools/instruments price thread

thatguy

I am setting up my electronics lab (a childhood dream that I have decided to fulfill after a quarter century :) ) and have been researching price/availability of different tools and instruments that would go into it. If you have recently bought anything or know the prices of instruments that might be useful, please contribute.

Acquired so far:

Amazon.com: Xacto X75170 X-tra Hands with Magnifier: Home Improvement
$12 and some change, Shipping by Aramex

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Amazon.com: 8" DIGITAL CALIPER w/Extra-Large LCD Screen Instantly Converts SAE&METRIC Stainless Steel: Home Improvement
$18, Shipping by Aramex

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Amazon.com: 9440 with JW-350 Jumper Wire Kit: Home Improvement
$42, Shipping by Aramex (still on the way)

Oscilloscope:

I wanted to buy the Rigol 1052E, but the prices quoted by the Indian vendors put me off. Scientech.bz (Scientech Technologies) quoted a price of 42,000 and Sceintific MES Technik (Scientific Mes-Technik Pvt. Ltd. provides Test and Measuring Instruments and Solutions.) wanted 38,000 + tax. This is an entry level oscilloscope and costs about $ 380 in the US.

I am still waiting for a quote from GW-Instek for their 1062A. Will update when I get it. If they don't offer me anything reasonable, I will ship the Rigol from toolboom.com.

Function generator:

GW Instek quoted 11,200 (+5% VAT)for SFG-1013. I have asked for a quote for SFG-2004.

Not yet researched:

I am still looking for a power supply (a 3 channel, 0-30V/5A x 2 and 3.3V/5V fixed with current limiting), a soldering station (probably a Goot 802AS), a desoldering station, a hot air rework station and a PCB holder.

Last edited:
GW Instek prices. They are offering a 10% discount on these prices. I might buy the function generator from them; for the others, importing looks like the best option.

1. 60MHz, 2 channel, 1GSa/s & 2M Memory DSO,, Model : GDS-1062A : Rs.48,000.00 per unit plus KVAT @ 5%

2. 4MHz DDS Function Generator, Model : SFG-2004 : Rs.17,440.00 per unit plus KVAT@ 5%

3. 4-channels, 200W D.C. Power Supply, Model : GPS-4303 : Rs.24,300.00 per unit plus KVAT@ 13.5%

4. 3-channels, 195W D.C. Power Supply, 180W D.C. Power Supply, Model : GPS-3303 : Rs.22,580.00 per unit plus KVAT@ 13.5%

I have one of these from a hobby shop in SP Road, costs around Rs.300. Very good for learning.

Oops. Actually, I had gone to SP road with my part list. But after a few conversations about the big ticket items, I lost interest. The prices were ridiculous (50,000 for a Metravi 50MHz DSO?) and the methods of dealing were a turn off ("you come sir, when you want to buy, we will give you a good price"). I decided to skip SP road for my equipment buying.

Here are a few more quotes (from Advance Tech Services (P) Ltd.) for soldering equipment:

Goot Desoldering Gun TP-100: 15,500
Goot Desoldering Gun TP-100AS: 20,500
Goot Soldering Station RX-802AS: 16,500

Plus 12.5% Sales Tax + 250 Packaging and handling + Shipping (550 by surface and 1100 by air).

If you believe Audio equipment dealers are overcharging you, you should take a peek into the electronics instrument world :) For the prices these guys are quoting, I can import everything legally, buy a few bottles of single malt, hire two hookers and go on a vacation to a nearby country.

MPJA and Elec Goldmine have great deals on some tools. Like -

Soldering Helping Hands-The Electronic Goldmine
https://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17932+TL

DealExtreme has the best price with free shipping for the
DS1052e (which is hackable to 100 Mhz as per the huge thread
on eevblog ) -

$339.99 - RIGOL DS1052E 5.6" TFT LCD 50MHz 2-Channel Digital Color Storage Oscilloscope - Professional Tools

Function generator - why not diy it with a XR2206 or MAX038?
MAX038 is still avbl from ebay, but expensive. XR2206 are
cheap though. Or a kit from sparkfun.

Function Generator Kit - SparkFun Electronics

Thanks Quad for the links. The dealxtreme.com offer is very tempting. Have you had any experience ordering from them? How does customs work with EMS or EMS express?

Yes, I have ordered and got some stuff safely from dealextreme,
but nothing this expensive.
Be warned - they have tons of interesting stuff - leds,
lasers, cell jammers, rare earth magnets. A real drain on time and
money :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back