DNM amplifier or Telome amplifier or High end like Naim audio

varma_vikas

Hi All,

Currently I have woodstock speakers( 300watt peak power I think 80 watt rms). Earlier I had decided to purchase hi end amplifier like Naim , Rotel and Belles etc,

However everybody on this forum suggested to me that I need not to go for such high end amplifiers and spend approx 1 lakh+ money and I should go for amps like DNM, Telome, Norge etc

I need reviews for the above mentiond amps DNM, Telome, Norge .

My only issue is that I need high quality products and components inside.

I believe that a completely mass market product like yamaha ,onkyo, nad are waste of money and does not provide worth the money.

Should I go for Naim Nait 5i type of highend amplifiers OR is it better to be with low end amps? I know that is also in my budget.

Hi All,

Currently I have woodstock speakers( 300watt peak power I think 80 watt rms). Earlier I had decided to purchase hi end amplifier like Naim , Rotel and Belles etc,

However everybody on this forum suggested to me that I need not to go for such high end amplifiers and spend approx 1 lakh+ money and I should go for amps like DNM, Telome, Norge etc

I need reviews for the above mentiond amps DNM, Telome, Norge .

My only issue is that I need high quality products and components inside.

I believe that a completely mass market product like yamaha ,onkyo, nad are waste of money and does not provide worth the money.

Should I go for Naim Nait 5i type of highend amplifiers? I know that is also in my budget.

Listen to as many amplifiers with your speakers and then let your ears decide. Don't get caught in the brand name.

helium
Cambridge Audio Azur 640c V2.0 + Lyrita SET 2A3 + Vintage Akai Speaker SW-175 + Pure Silver cables = 'Music Nirvana'

varma vikas,

sometimes you may land up buying amplifier from the "unfair bracket ".

First go listen to a few and then seek opinion. That way you will be able to co-relate to things. Baaki everything what you have written is just speculation.

mpw

i suggest you have an audition for the Norge 1200 pre + power combo, the telome 8400i integrated and the DNM a-777 amps.

you might just be lucky..;)

If budget permits, you may go for Amplifiers like Naim. Many people will say that pairing low end speakers with high end amp is waste of money but I will considere that as a middle step in getting superior set up. If you are sure that you won't upgrade for at least 5-6 years and if you have 1lakh to spend, I would suggest you to split the buget as 40k amp+50k speakers + 2k for good interconnects and speaker cables. I hope you have a decent source like CDP/PC with good sound card/DAC. If not then the equation will change as 25k for source+30k for amp+ 40k for speakers approx. Rest for interconnects/cables. I hope you have allocated good amount for buying good quality music as well which is extremely important for good sound. I would give least importance to power ratings of the equipment. Amplifier and speakers above 30w RMS are more than enough for midsized room. There are lot of brands between Naim (high end) and DNM (low end)

The point is, Woodstock speakers, although great I am sure, will only go up to a certain level in terms of high fidelity. Now, that level may be more than sufficient for you or me right now. But, if you tread along the path and begin to appreciate high fidelity more. When the music you like sounds more pleasurable than it sounded before on different equipments, then you will want to upgrade. It is at that stage, Naim Nait 5i kind of amps make a difference.

So if that stage is far away, get the DNM and invest your money somewhere better. You can always buy high end components later when you are willing to get not only the amp but speakers also.

But, if you go for it, I can assure you, as soon as you put a Nait 5i kind of amp on your woodstocks, you will be thinking about upgrading your speakers very soon!

hi Ashish,
I appreciate your reply.
You are absolutely correct.
The moment I go for naim kind of stuff I would have to upgrade my speakers. That is true.

If budget permits, you may go for Amplifiers like Naim. Many people will say that pairing low end speakers with high end amp is waste of money but I will considere that as a middle step in getting superior set up. If you are sure that you won't upgrade for at least 5-6 years and if you have 1lakh to spend, I would suggest you to split the buget as 40k amp+50k speakers + 2k for good interconnects and speaker cables. I hope you have a decent source like CDP/PC with good sound card/DAC. If not then the equation will change as 25k for source+30k for amp+ 40k for speakers approx. Rest for interconnects/cables. I hope you have allocated good amount for buying good quality music as well which is extremely important for good sound. I would give least importance to power ratings of the equipment. Amplifier and speakers above 30w RMS are more than enough for midsized room. There are lot of brands between Naim (high end) and DNM (low end)

Hi You are the first person in this forum who has understood my condition properly. Actually I am stuck somewhere in between. I wish to go for a agood set up but again I would have to start looking for the very good pair of speakers as well.

Like Klipsch, Usher, etc etc etc. Could you please let me know which are the best and respected brands for floorstanders speakers? Personally I like big powerful woofer( like 12 inch woofer of my woodstock. They look very good to me. hahaha

Currently I have a sony aiwa cdp, desktop computer , laptop, plasma . Actually my budget was 1.5 L for amplifier. But it seems that a real good setup will require 2.5L.

So till the time I will go for some lowend for my woodstock like dnm or telome or amp costing 10k-20k. Still my problem is even if I wish to go for DNM ,there is no audition here in delhi and I do not know how the amplifier will respond with my speakers. OR even I go to some other state I would not be able to bring my speakers there.

Later on I will upgrade the whole setup.

Thank ful for your very well balanced and well thought reply.

Last edited:
Many people will say that pairing low end speakers with high end amp is waste of money but I will consider that as a middle step in getting superior set up.

There are also practical considerations. Not only how much one can afford to spend at one time, but also the finding of irresistible bargains. I went to audition amplifiers ...and bought the audition speakers! They sounded better than the speakers they replaced, even though the amplifier was not that good. A new amp, a year or so later, moved things up several steps.

Hi You are the first person in this forum who has understood my condition properly. Actually I am stuck somewhere in between. I wish to go for a agood set up but again I would have to start looking for the very good pair of speakers as well.

Like Klipsch, Usher, etc etc etc. Could you please let me know which are the best and respected brands for floorstanders speakers? Personally I like big powerful woofer( like 12 inch woofer of my woodstock. They look very good to me. hahaha

Currently I have a sony aiwa cdp, desktop computer , laptop, plasma . Actually my budget was 1.5 L for amplifier. But it seems that a real good setup will require 2.5L.

So till the time I will go for some lowend for my woodstock like dnm or telome or amp costing 10k-20k. Still my problem is even if I wish to go for DNM ,there is no audition here in delhi and I do not know how the amplifier will respond with my speakers. OR even I go to some other state I would not be able to bring my speakers there.

Later on I will upgrade the whole setup.

Thank ful for your very well balanced and well thought reply.
Boss, if you are in Delhi, why don't you try Viren Bakshi's amps and speakers. In 1 lc you should have extremely good set up : SET amp + single driver speakers! The only reason I am not buying them is I cannot do audition. He is based in Delhi. So you don't need to spend much other than time to listen to high end Tube sound! You may even carry your speakers (but you need hig sensitivity speakers for the tube amps). You have such a great chance to get introduced to Tube set up! Definitely try it out . Viren Bakshi is a forum member here and his web site is Lyrita audio. Once you listen to tube amps, you will know why RMS power is not that important to make big speakers sing.

I forgot to add, I use sony-aiwa DVDp. It is with me for more than 8 years and I am very happy with it. If you have even slightest inclination towards DIY, read open baffle speakers. I am using DIY open baffle speakers and I am veyr very happy with them. Even I use 12" drivers :) and they are THE attention seeking items in my living room.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back