do i need a sub?

Hi experts,
I do listen to music only with my currently 2 speaker system. Do I need a subwoofer for music listening? will it enhanve the enjoyment of music? I do listen all types of music from carnatic to vocal to pop and guitar, jazz..
regards,
Anand

music is always stereo buddy.. so 2.0 is the best...

however if your speakers are unable to deliver low frequency response well or you an extra thump.. then go for a sub...

What GeorgeO said.....I myself prefer that extra thump with my Wharfedale 9.1s,but the 9.1s are not that much bassy either.I had tried 9.2 and 10.1 for short stints of time, and still would get a sub to go with them anyday,eyes closed.I don't have a very musical sub, but it definitely gets the work done and i can say immediately if it ain't turned ON even when hearing normal 2 channel flacs.Having a sub is a must IMHO if u are into those DTS Cds/wavs like me.

The main problem in this subwoofer YES-NO query is that it is highly subjective.Some people cannot live with the overpowering lows that subs produce, others cannot live without it.A properly tuned sub can do wonders for music in my opinion.

Plz do urself a favor and get an extended audition for atleast 3-4 hours with sub connected, and then, try auditioning the same songs with it unplugged.See if the extra thump adds flavor or spoils it for u.Then only decide, don't throw 15k+ on a sub for music unless u have auditioned,i again repeat : THIS IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE MATTER.

Happy auditioning.

true imrahn.. properly selected and tuned sub can do wonders..

however it comes subjective to what kind of music you listen to..

if u listen to trance, metal , rap and indian pop.. you would nee a sub to get the most of that song. on the other side if its jazz,classical and so on. stereo would be enough..

can someone guide how to add a sub if one has an integrated? as in where in the connection is the sub added?

Use an RCA splitter (optional) and one will directly go to the 2 channel amp and the other one will directly go to the sub.

In PC12 NSD, there is one line in and high pass out. If you prefer sub with music take the line out directly from the source and feed the line-in of SVS and High Pass out to your 2 channel amp as another i/p. The amount of High Pass can be controlled by the Freq selector in the sub.

By switching the source in your amp you can use with sub and w/o sub for music.

In this setup if the same is used for HT using another amp with an LFE out, then you need to use another splitter which will act as a selector (may be a DIY will help) to Line In of the sub, BUT YOU SHOULD SWITCH-ON ONLY ONE AMP AT A TIME.
Correct me if I am wrong. Is there any issue if I connect 2 amps as I have mentioned above?

Last edited:
This is what I have done:

I have taken two line outs from my (diy) DAC-one to my integrated amp and the other to my sub plate amp. In another case, I have connected my line in to another set of RCAs that I installed at the back of the preamp, so my line level signal goes into my preamp as well as to a sub amp. This can also be done in an integrated, if you wish. In a third case, I used a splitter.

If what you listen to is music, you don't need a sub. Remember, music is 2.0.

Cheers

here -

a definition is needed -

WHAT? -

is music?

for different minds with different perceptions -

music could be the output of

Carnatic music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

then again - music could be the output of

50 Cent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and yet again, - music could be this-

Diana Krall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FOR SURE -

TWO CHANNEL STEREO - WITHOUT (A SUITABLE) SUBWOOFER - would be a canvas without colours:)

there are those who want all the colours when they listen to a piece of music-\

and others who are insensitive-

CHOOSE!

If it is just music then a sub is a subjective need depending on what music you listen to and how thumpy you like it. For movies, particularly all varieties of Dolby and DTS, a sub is absolutely mandatory.

I personally do not use a sub with music but then my Fronts are really awesome in terms of LF performance.

I think Suri put it well. To my ears listening sans a sub reduces one dimension of my music, but that doesnt mean that it is the same for everyone. I have two powered subs for two systems, but I have a third speaker system which has outstanding LFE, and in that room I may( or may not, in the long term, havent taken a call on this yet) choose not to have a third sub.

In addition it also depends on how much I use that system.In Suri's place he has a humungous enclosure with a downfiring sub driver , and I found the integration very effective.My subs are much smaller-one is about 85 liters and the other around 55 lts.

Back