Do you see difference between 720P and 1080P?

ISO

It is surprising that there is very little visual difference between 720P and 1080P on Amazon Prime video.

How do I know? At the bottom of screen, it shows video quality. When net speed decreases, video automatically switch to lower resolution.

It is surprising that there is very little visual difference between 720P and 1080P on Amazon Prime video.

How do I know? At the bottom of screen, it shows video quality. When net speed decreases, video automatically switch to lower resolution.
What's your screen size? You might notice a difference on a larger screen and sitting closer to the screen. While watching on my laptop I use the Good option. Higher options definitely make the quality sharper, but that's ok.

MaSh

What's your screen size? You might notice a difference on a larger screen and sitting closer to the screen. While watching on my laptop I use the Good option. Higher options definitely make the quality sharper, but that's ok.

MaSh
Sony full HD 40 inch. Watching aprox 15 feet away from screen.

If you are streaming real 720p signal (not already upscaled from lower res to 720p), then your TV should do a decent job of upscaling from 720p to full HD (1080). At your viewing distance, the difference will not be obvious anyways.

The thumb rule of watching video on a big screen and be able to make difference between FHD and HD is that the viewing distance has to be within 1.8 times the screen diagonal length. So in case of @ISO for a 40 inch screen the max viewing distance should be within 40 inches x 1.8 = 72 inches = 6 feet.

In my panasonic 50 incher plasma (9 years + and still strong with awesome blacks even now) I sit 7 feet away for the same reason. But as @MaSh and @skumar has said, if its a true 720p and your TV upscales to 1080p it will be a difficult competition against the true 1080p of the same title. Yes there are some possible areas where you can catch differences for example while looking at colors or color gradients like radiating lights from a light source (look for abrupt bands as intensity decreases radiating out), if for example 1080p was 30 fps and 720p was 24 fps so panning shots / fast moving shots can at times go for a toss. But why spent so much time on finding faults, rather enjoy the movie :)

The thumb rule of watching video on a big screen and be able to make difference between FHD and HD is that the viewing distance has to be within 1.8 times the screen diagonal length. So in case of @ISO for a 40 inch screen the max viewing distance should be within 40 inches x 1.8 = 72 inches = 6 feet.

In my panasonic 50 incher plasma (9 years + and still strong with awesome blacks even now) I sit 7 feet away for the same reason. But as @MaSh and @skumar has said, if its a true 720p and your TV upscales to 1080p it will be a difficult competition against the true 1080p of the same title. Yes there are some possible areas where you can catch differences for example while looking at colors or color gradients like radiating lights from a light source (look for abrupt bands as intensity decreases radiating out), if for example 1080p was 30 fps and 720p was 24 fps so panning shots / fast moving shots can at times go for a toss. But why spent so much time on finding faults, rather enjoy the movie :)

Good analysis. I say, wherever possible, streaming at 720P will save lot of your data.

Good analysis. I say, wherever possible, streaming at 720P will save lot of your data.
You can refer this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

If you are on a limited plan, yes 720p saves but on unlimited plans like those offered in cable broadbands there is less to worry. Then again two videos of same duration and frame rate and same quality settings consume different bandwidth for variations in frame data difference. But yes, different streaming providers may have different consumption if their streaming encoding is different.

Just on a side note, I think the processing and quality of the panel takes precedence over the resolution.
I now have the proof. I have a Panasonic plasma X30D with a dead main board. Since board availability was an issue went and bought a used S10D.
Now here is the catch. X30D is 720p only whereas S10D is 1080p. I have compared same content over both TVs and find X30D to be superior despite it being only 720p.
I have played around with resolution and content of all types that I have to confirm.
The take is that processing, panel quality and other factors take precedence over mere resolution.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back