Dolby Atmos Speaker Setup Help needed

sud98

I currently have a 5.1 setup in a 15*12*9 basement, which is a dedicated room.

The layout of the room is as follows

The 5.1 is laid out in the diagram. The ceiling has a set of acoustic tiles in a 2*2 grid. The ceiling is concrete and unfortunately uneven. In the bottom grid (row 15), the ceiling depth is more than 1.5 feet. From Row 8 to row 14, the ceiling depth is just 3 inches and then from Row 1 to Row 7 its around 2 feet.

With this, my possible options were in Row 15 to put the speakers (D1 and D2) as also Row 7 (D3/D4), will this be good enough for Atmos/DTS:X(less restrictive).

Also, does it make sense to have a third row closer to the screen for front heights and will it make any difference.

My current speakers are in my signature. Planning to add TAGA for the ceiling (they too are 8 ohm), do advise if it will cause any issues.

I have ceiling speakers installed in a similar manner , if you could get the top middle more towards the center it would be beneficial. The ceiling speakers come with 15 degree aimable tweeters as long as you are covered in that angle from the top middle and rear you sohuld be good I feel.

Can the Atmos speakers be installed on the walls at the Dolby position ? That should work quite all right too. I have installed mine this way.

Good to know, I used to think for Atmos, bipolar and dipole speakers are not very good as it breaks the atmos logic.

Good to know, I used to think for Atmos, bipolar and dipole speakers are not very good as it breaks the atmos logic.
True. I have a less than ideal setup. Right side is wharfdale as shown above and left side is Quad 12L2's. And the same combination for surround. In theory, this should sound really awful now should it not ? But it doesn't. I don't miss out on any of the magic of 5.1.2.

Now, am not saying that you should do this too. I am only trying to say that your atmos speaker setup need not be perfect to get a good atmos effect. Use speakers of your choice, bring D3 and D4 a bit closer to your seating position and you should have good sound.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back