Doordarshan creates a record

srramanujam

Doordarshan created an international record by showing 86 minutes of advertisements in the common wealth games opening ceremony. Everyone is talking about this accomplishment. I went to meet Prasar Bharti Chairman to congratulate him.

There was too much of traffic on the street. Moreover, one lane was blocked for commonwealth games traffic. I called the Chairman for help from my mobile but he cut the call. The car driver next to me said, are you calling Prasar Bharti Chairman, please call him from a BSNL number, the official mobile for the games. He does not encourage calls from Vodafone. Vodafone is an English company and the England team complained so much about Games Village.

I borrowed a BSNL mobile from a girl called Deepika who was standing next to me. Prasar Bharti Chairman said dont worry about the traffic jam. I will send the official vehicle to pick you up. It is a Hero Honda motorcycle. Minutes later the motorcycle came. The girl next to me said can I also come with you. I want to watch badminton.

So we went to the office of the Prsasar Bharti Chairman. There was a huge crowd in front of his office. His secretary organised the crowd into two parts. He selected a tall gentleman from the first crowd and sent him inside the Chairmans office. The tall gentleman told the Chairman thank you very much for showing our advertisement. Earlier, our trains were booked two months in advance, now they are booked three months in advance. We have got a lot of business from your programme. The Chairman was very pleased and said all for national service, thank you. The tall gentleman left after giving the Chairman a special gift from the Railway Minister, two RAC tickets for New Delhi- Gorakhpur Garib Rath Express.

The secretary sent a South Indian from the second crowd inside the Chairmans office. The south Indian was very angry and told the chairman to stop all the advertisements at once. He said, the advertisements have created a lot of problem. Earlier we used to cut electricity once a week. Now people have started using more electricity and we are having to cut every day. Please stop the advertisements. The Prasar Bharti Chairman said please give your request in writing. We will do the needful, but I cannot promise you much since our meter is already down. The south indian kept the gift that he brought from the NTPC Chairman on the Prasar Bharti Chairmans table, it was an inverter.

The secretary sent a foreigner from the first crowd inside the Chairmans office. The foreigner said my CEO has sent his special thanks to you. Because of the games, Indians have become more conscious about punctuality and our Tissot watch sales have gone up. He did not bring any gift but left a small slip of paper under the Chairmans table. It was a secret number for a Swiss Bank account.
A worried babu from the second crowd went inside the Chairmans office. He said, The LIC Chairman is very unhappy. A lot of farmers watched the advertisement and bought our insurance. Now many of them have committed suicide and their families are forcing us to pay their insurance. Please stop our advertisements. He also did not carry any gift but promised to provide commonwealth games a free insurance policy for delays and accidents.

An excited man from the first crowd bribed the secretary and went inside the Chairmans office. He said I am from the Commonwealth Games Contractors Association. My association Chairman wants to book all the advertising slots for the closing ceremony. You can charge us double your normal rate. After all, when India hosts the Olympics, we will win all the contracts at double the normal price and recover our money. A small group of people came with him carrying the gift from the contractors. It was a miniature flyover. When they kept the gift on the Chairmans table, the left side of the flyover collapsed, but fortunately no sportsperson was walking on it at that time.

An impatient man from the second crowd jumped the queue and ran into the Chairmans office. He cried, Please, we need your help immediately. Please send two dozen CWG volunteers to the Indira Gandhi airport. After seeing the advertisements, all passengers from other airlines have bought tickets for Air India. The Prasar Bharti Chairman said, that is very good news, please take a seat, why do you want volunteers to fly when your flight is already full?. The impatient man said, there is no time to wait, the passengers are waiting in the aircraft, but the pilots are on strike. We need volunteers to fly the aeroplanes.

Chairman said, I am so sorry, but I am helpless. But your Air India maharajah can talk to Mr. Suresh Kalmadi and request him to help. Mr Kalmadi can surely arrange something since he is the only Maharajah these days he said.

A nice fairy tale to start the day, but what exactly is the point? The ending was inconclusive ...

I was in splits after seeing advertisements of Air India, Railways and NTPC.

For NTPC and Railways, there is no point of advertising. If more people come to them, they have no capacity to service. No one will come to Air India even if they go begging.

That was the thought and the rest was rambling. Its good to have the time once in a while to ramble, isnt it.

Great!! Today's news paper info - Abhinav's Bindra/Narang winning gold medal was not shown, instead a one line message informs that Bindra/Narang won a gold. Many well wishers (browing various doordarshan channel to catch the glimpse - but all in vain!! None of the doordarshan channels could air it live! Instead they telecast it 2 hours later) could not see their hero winning the gold shot!!! Doordarshan's relay... yet again!!!

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back