DSLR or not ?

Dr.Bass

Friends,
Hope this topic is fresh:). I have been using a Canon IXUS point & shoot for some time now. It is very handy, quick and captures decent pictures. However when I compare the pictures taken with my camera to the ones taken by even an entry level DSLR (like the Nikon 5100), the difference is unsettling. But then I am very clear that I do not want to get into photography, I only want to take family pictures or good casual pictures of audio equipments when I visit hifi shows;), I mean things like that. However my basic requirement is great quality pictures with auto mode, both indoors and outdoors. I would also like to have good (HD?) video capabilities. With such criteria should I look at the higher end compact cameras like the Canon G15 or an entry level DSLR like Nikon D5100 ?

By the way, if they are neck to neck, then a portable camera like G15 could be more appealing to me simply to carry it anywhere without the feel of excess baggage. But if the D5100 has a clear advantage over G15 (in picture quality) then I would still take the 5100 or the likes.

Unless, you are into photography I mean figuring out and remembering settings and want to carry around a camera bag lens and all that jazz, stick to that G 15.

+1 with Square Wave. A DSLR can be quite annoying especially when travelling or moving around in a suit :).

Why dont you start post processing your IMAGES (Adjust Levels, Contrast, Cropping, Sharpness, Noise Etc). The results can be close to DSLR images. You can use Lightroom, FastStone, Adobe C5/6 Etc. Trust me, 10% of PP on your original shots will take them to the next level.

If you like, I will be happy to share some PP steps that you can perform yourself at home :). All you need is the App and a calibrated monitor.

Cheers...

Bass,
Unless you are into pure photography or has a passion for photography, u can stick to PS.
If you are still not sure. you can upgrade to ultra zoom camera which has all the capabilities of DSLR. Look for Sony Hx200 or Nikon or panasonic.all these 3 are really good and have proven model.

The Canon SX50 is a good compact camera with a 50X zoom, if you are looking at a compact.

I toyed with the same choice recently and bought a D5100 four days back.

I dont like PP since i try to get good quality pictures through the camera.

Regards

An entry level Nikon D5100 maybe entry level for SLRs but they will knock out any PS camera. They are phenomenal machines. I just keep mine on auto and take pictures - whole new level of pictures. The cons are the mandatory camera bag etc but if its good pictures you are after its well worth the trouble.

There is one area where DSLRs absolutely kill PS cameras - low light pictures. I can pretty much take pictures in pitch black darkness knowing fully well the camera will sort out the light issues. No chance with a PS camera.

Thanks guys for valuable pieces of information. I already have a Canon P&S to take quick pictures and my iPhone for even quicker pictures, so I guess this one could be a DSLR so that I could take great pictures though I know it will have to be more planned.

Among the entry level DSLRs the Nikon 5200 seems to be a favourite but then there are Canon and Panasonic also, are they worth considering ?

Among the entry level DSLRs the Nikon 5200 seems to be a favourite but then there are Canon and Panasonic also, are they worth considering ?

Stick to Nikon or Canon. Between the two its a matter of preference.
I prefer the Nikon based on the interface and the lens selection available locally.

I would suggest you pick up a model one or two versions older than the "latest greatest" offerings for a real VFM deal. Used cameras are exceptional value IMO.

Thanks guys for valuable pieces of information. I already have a Canon P&S to take quick pictures and my iPhone for even quicker pictures, so I guess this one could be a DSLR so that I could take great pictures though I know it will have to be more planned.

You can take great pictures in any camera but for low light performance you can also go with NEX and m4/3 cameras.
The NEX for eg has the same large size sensor as a DSLR infact D5100 uses a sensor made by Sony.The new Sony NEX-5R is compact has both PDAF and CDAF and can shoot at 10fps with AF,whats more its silent doesn't attract unwanted attention.

Check this video its funny "DSLR NO IDEA"
DSLR quality without the difficulty - YouTube

DSLR GEAR NO IDEA - YouTube

Stick to Nikon or Canon. Between the two its a matter of preference.
I prefer the Nikon based on the interface and the lens selection available locally.

I would suggest you pick up a model one or two versions older than the "latest greatest" offerings for a real VFM deal. Used cameras are exceptional value IMO.

recently, after much confusion, i bought a canon 1000D with kit-lens for 13k in a seconds-deal (a very well-maintained piece). 'confusion', because even i don't/didn't want to get into the nuances of photography, the prime reason being that i go a lot on treks/hikes and take pictures generally only at that time, and on such ventures, carrying a DSLR with its companion-lenses is a pain! i had been more-or-less satisfied with P&S till now. but since some time, after watching the capabilities of a DSLR which a trekmate of mine has, i was getting inclined towards better cameras.

started with a 'greed' for bridge cameras. bought a used panasonic lumix FZ18 first, then a used nikon P90. the former is much better. took both of them on a couple of outings, and with their bags, it was no big deal to lug them around. but still felt something amiss, and after a lot of following-up (and after reading the discussion on DSLRs in another thread on HFV), decided to purchase a cheap & decent entry-level DSLR, and focus on learning about photography through it and invest in lenses in the future. to my pleasant surprise, with the kit-lens, the DSLR is more or less equal in weight to the bridge cameras i have, and i feel it won't be an issue to carry it along on hikes. however, for now, i have decided to use the DSLR only as a special photography learning tool to be carried only on excursions for photography, and meanwhile buy a compact P&S (the canon A1200 - cheap & decent compact camera with a tunnel viewfinder. i LOVE to take shots from a viewfinder! would've liked to have nikon P5100 instead, but not available anymore). i feel its imperative for a DSLR user to also have a compact camera that can be just tucked in one's pocket and taken out instantly to capture those 'fleeting' moments!

a (DSLR + compact) combo is what an amateur photographer at least should basically have, the way i see it :)

Last edited:
Good photographs are always made by people behind the camera and not by the camera alone. Camera in itself is just a tool.

Check these to understand what a person can do even with a small built-in camera on mobile devices -
Mobile Photo Awards Winners
Phone Photography - gallery
http://www.chasejarvis.com/ipad/

Goodness! What lovely shots!! I am so poor with a much better camera! :(

I sat on the decision to buy a DSLR for more than 5 years after I learnt to take shots manually. I never liked the Nikon or Canon plasticky bodies in the 50K range. For me build quality and engineering is paramount - to experience holding it my hands. Finally last year I got hold of a silver OMD E-M5. But after spending more than a lac, I dont go about shooting willy nilly. The camera is mostly in the cupboard and reserved for specific activities and trips I do.

Cheers
--G0bble

As an ex-SLR user, I can say that I now use my PS cameras a lot. I still use DSLR for some shots. However, for most family trips and for most functions, I use either a Panasonic FZ200(semi) or Panasonic TZ5(compact). FZ200 can shoot at F2.8 through out the range and hence works very well in low light. Zoomin recently had a deal for the camera at 28K. Highly recommended at Amazon and DPReview. Cost more than some of the entry level SLRs(in USD). But you get the 24X optical zoom, image stabilization, moveable LCD screen, Raw, Filters, Flash slot and other features along with the F2.8 lens! A good contender, I would say.

I bought a Nikon D5100 kit with lens finally. Frankly I am not serious about photography and I know I am not great at taking pictures. All I wanted is good family photographs in all kinds of conditions, day, night, indoor, outdoor, cloudy, foggy, whatever. Typical P&S cannot do it. High end P&S may be able to do it but I have had to take a chance on that one. The only sure shot way to get that confidence was to go SLR so here it goes, a cheap one but still not so cheap. Thanks for some very informative posts here.

And Gobble, I never knew about the model OMD E-M5, when I read your post I googled it and what a gorgeous looking camera it is, wow. I would have been highly tempted if I had known it before. By the way I was looking at the Fuji X100s as well but it turned out to be twice as expensive as the D5100 so I had to let it go. Check it out, you may like it.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back