DVD Player-Video Upscaling

petes

Hey Pals!!

I have Philips DVD Player (DVP 642K). Since this player does not have HDMI output, it is connected via Component Video Cable (Y,Pb,Pr) to my 40" LCD TV that supports Full HD. However, the player supports Progressive Scan.

My question is, when i play a HD DVD disc on this player, there is humming sound that appears while reading the Disc. This is heard only in the player throughout the video and NOT in the Speaker. Also, the quality of the picture is not good eventhough the Progressive Scan is turned on (Worse than standard DVD disc), but the audio quality is extremely good.

I am little confused whether my DVD player does not support upscaling or the problem is related to disc.

After researching many reviews, i believe upscaling should be possible by using Component Cable and not just by HDMI.

Any thoughts, Thanks a lot!!

I am using MX Component Cable for the connection. The humming sound is from the player and NOT from the speakers. This sound is heard only if i play HD DVD disc and Not on the regular DVD Disc.

Can you tell us how you upgraded your hardware to play "HD-DVD" on your player? :rolleyes:

Couple of things need clarificaitons from your post:

What do you mean by "when I play a HD DVD disk on this player"? From the specs, this DVDP does not support HD DVD format.

If it indeed supported, you do not need to upscale the picture.

Apart from all this, though technically there is no reason for component cables to not support higher resolutions, the industry only implements upscaling via HDMI. One workaround is to let your AVR do the upscaling if it allows. This is better than your DVDP as the signals will be impacted when passing through the AVR anyways.

Last option is to see if you TV has the capability to upscale. This was introduced around 2008 timeframe first by Toshiba.

Hey Pals!!

I have Philips DVD Player (DVP 642K). Since this player does not have HDMI output, it is connected via Component Video Cable (Y,Pb,Pr) to my 40" LCD TV that supports Full HD. However, the player supports Progressive Scan.

My question is, when i play a HD DVD disc on this player, there is humming sound that appears while reading the Disc. This is heard only in the player throughout the video and NOT in the Speaker. Also, the quality of the picture is not good eventhough the Progressive Scan is turned on (Worse than standard DVD disc), but the audio quality is extremely good.

I am little confused whether my DVD player does not support upscaling or the problem is related to disc.

After researching many reviews, i believe upscaling should be possible by using Component Cable and not just by HDMI.

Any thoughts, Thanks a lot!!

The Disk what i have supports upto HD resolution.

Anyways, how do i know whether my DVD supports Upscaling?? is there any way to test this. Because, I guess most of the recent players supports this and the older ones doesn't.

I have 40" Samsung LCD TV LA40C550. Hence, i am no sure whether i need to change my DVD player to a player that has an HDMI output to connect to TV or whether my existing connection (Component cable) will be able to do the upscaling.

It Says "Blu Ray" Disk, but i am not sure whether actually it is... Humm...probably i should attach the scanned image of the disk!!

must a duplicate Blu ray disk
your DVD player CANNOT handle Blu Ray
from where you got this ? at what price?
have you checkd this disk in PC DVD drive?

I got this through one my friend. It plays on my PC DVD Drive, but now i am wondering whether this problem is somthing to do with the disc..??

I got this through one my friend. It plays on my PC DVD Drive, but now i am wondering whether this problem is somthing to do with the disc..??

pc dvd drive too CANNOT play blu-ray
check the size of the disk
is this 25 Gb or 8 gb?

It Says "Blu Ray" Disk, but i am not sure whether actually it is... Humm...probably i should attach the scanned image of the disk!!

I own the same model DVDP. It does not support HD-DVD or Blu-ray disc.

There are plenty of pirated DVD's with imprints as Blu-ray available in the market(I have seen in Chennai, Madurai et al for Rs.20/-). They are basically ripped from blu-ray and converted into a DVD with menu. Video and audio quality is better in these discs. Most of the times in such rips they retain the blu-ray video logo.

In PC insert this DISC and find the folder names. If it has VIDEO_TS, you can be sure that it is just a DVD.

Component video may give you better resolution but in my opinion it cannot upscale video through component video. Anyway the DVDP in question here does not do any kind of upscaling.

Progressive scan need to be supported both from DVDP and TV. I am sure about the capability of DVDP on progressive scan. You may check the TV's spec for its capability on progressive scan.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back