earthquake

moktan

forum members who watch the news are probably aware that a devastating earthquake measuring 6.8 on the richter scale caused massive havoc in sub-himalayan west bengal and sikkim....
this earthquake and its after shocks (some of which were felt even last night) wasn't unexpected..
however earthquake prediction, for all the scientific and technological progress that mankind can boast of, isn't a very exact affair..
anyway this is how my personal experience went..
i was listening to Lester Young's The Complete Savoy Recordings. the track was Neenah. suddenly there was a tremor. right away i knew it was an earthquake and expected it to pass. but the intensity grew and stuff fell off the wall units. the lights went off and the rattling of the window panes grew ferocious. i quickly ran out of the house to the lawn outside. i was relieved to see my daughter and wife who were in the ground floor out in the open. but in the confusion my three year old son was left in the house. he was in the second floor with my parents.
it was perhaps the most terrible thing to watch your house lurch from side to side- it could be real or my imagination i cannot confirm- all the time knowing that your loved ones were inside.
anyway the quake passed and we got the rest of the family out. i have the luxury of having large lawns both in front and behind the house so we felt safe in the open.
however the earthquake was a very sobering experience.
and now we have to live through the uncertainty of the aftermath- commonplace shakings make us jump.
the worst are the rumours floating around that the next big one is imminent.
i know these are just rumours but such stories impact the kids and the womenfolk. some would want to err on the side of caution.
also thinking about the idyllic places of north sikkim ravaged by this temblor makes me feel quite sorry for the people affected..
anyway here is hoping that things will pass and this tremor becomes just a distant memory.
now coming to the real reason for the post:
could any forum member shed some light about geodesic tents, their sizes, how much they cost, where they could bought in India etc.
i just realized i needed a tent in case the scenario that we just experienced got repeated all over again. at least the kids can get a good night's rest even as we adults worry about this and that....
thanks

Last edited:
Moktan,
Never experienced anything of this sort but through your post I can very well relate to the ordeal that you, your family and thousands of other families out there have been through.
Our thoughts are with you at this time. Hope and pray that things settle down quickly and there are no more such occurrences.

Sorry I am not able to help with the tents(as I don't know much about this topic) but I know that there is a Bangalore based company called Wildcraft who make excellent tents amongst other adventure gear. If you would like me to enquire anything on your behalf, I'd be glad to help.

Wildcraft's website:
http://www.wildcraft.in/

Moktan,
Never experienced anything of this sort but through your post I can very well relate to the ordeal that you, your family and thousands of other families out there have been through.
Our thoughts are with you at this time. Hope and pray that things settle down quickly and there are no more such occurrences.

Sorry I am not able to help with the tents(as I don't know much about this topic) but I know that there is a Bangalore based company called Wildcraft who make excellent tents amongst other adventure gear. If you would like me to enquire anything on your behalf, I'd be glad to help.

Wildcraft's website:
Welcome to Wildcraft

thanks for the empathy and the good wishes Santosh..i will visit the site and see what they have to offer...anyway it isn't that much of an emergency situation at the moment that i have to immediately procure a tent..however browsing through the net i saw geodesic designs of earthquake tents by an American company being sold at US rates (exorbitant for me) and hence was wondering if there were Indian implementations of similar materials and designs at of course Indian prices...

Mods: This thread needs the attention of members who might be able to help. Kindly do the needful to make it appear in the main page when there is a response.

EDIT: Informed mods using the Report feature

Last edited:
thanks santosh. i think i got the right options from the decathlon website.
this one looks good. T6.2 XL AIR Hiking Tents will be able to advise people who need it and probably procure one for myself too.
thanks for the help folks.
mods may kindly close this thread.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back