Edifier R1850DB with Arctis GameDac

Dr.AbdullahK

Hello complete Audio noob here.

I just bought the Edifier R1850DB active speakers to be used with my existing Arctis GameDac (with headphones) to my PC. I read that the best way to connect these is through optcial directly to the mobo, but my mobo doesn't have an optical port.

So my question is: which would produce the best audio for my case, connecting it using analog to the mobo or connecting to the DAC? Also, if I decide to connect it to my GameDac which has an optical output, should I use that instead of the 3.5mm line out?

I'm also not into any audio related content creation, I'm just a simple user.

Welcome to the forum..

For you if want to use the DAC of edifier you need to use any of the digital input like optical or coaxial. Ofcourse Bluetooth as well. But if you feel the DAC you mentioned is superior to what with the edifier, you can connect to RCA port of edifier from the DAC. The inbuilt DAC of any PC will be inferior in quality.

If you want to take an optical out from the PC ( guess there is no optical out in your PC), you may want to consider some USB to optical converter like this..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XPRSGM/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_65QJ9718AADNMRPR85M7

Welcome to the forum..

For you if want to use the DAC of edifier you need to use any of the digital input like optical or coaxial. Ofcourse Bluetooth as well. But if you feel the DAC you mentioned is superior to what with the edifier, you can connect to RCA port of edifier from the DAC. The inbuilt DAC of any PC will be inferior in quality.

If you want to take an optical out from the PC ( guess there is no optical out in your PC), you may want to consider some USB to optical converter like this..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085XPRSGM/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_65QJ9718AADNMRPR85M7
Thank you, kind sir.

I honestly hate these converters so I'd like to avoid them. So if I connected my Edifiers to my GameDAC via optical will I notice any degradation in audio? Is it the same as connecting it directly to a PC with optical?

When you connect via optical on your GameDac convertion happens at the edifier. Whereas if you connect it from 3.5mm audio jack of GameDac, convertion happens with in the GameDac only. You are the best judge to find which is good for you..all the best.

Also, if I decide to connect it to my GameDac which has an optical output, should I use that instead of the 3.5mm line out?
Are you sure your DAC has an optical out? I looked it up and it looks like the optical port is an input port, not output. Output is only through 3.5mm, which would make sense given it's for headphones.

In any case, even if your DAC did have optical out, connecting with that would mean taking analog out from PC, converting it to digital and feeding to the speaker, which would again convert it to analog using its inbuilt DAC. There's no way this setup can add anything to the sound quality. Unnecessary conversion can only lead to a loss in quality.

The best option, according to me would be to directly connect it to the motherboard 3.5mm out and use the headphone DAC only if you feel the volume is not sufficient. To use the optical input of the speaker, you'll need a PCIe or USB sound card.

When you connect via optical on your GameDac convertion happens at the edifier. Whereas if you connect it from 3.5mm audio jack of GameDac, convertion happens with in the GameDac only. You are the best judge to find which is good for you..all the best.
Will do some testing once they arrive. Thank you so much.

Are you sure your DAC has an optical out? I looked it up and it looks like the optical port is an input port, not output. Output is only through 3.5mm, which would make sense given it's for headphones.

In any case, even if your DAC did have optical out, connecting with that would mean taking analog out from PC, converting it to digital and feeding to the speaker, which would again convert it to analog using its inbuilt DAC. There's no way this setup can add anything to the sound quality. Unnecessary conversion can only lead to a loss in quality.

The best option, according to me would be to directly connect it to the motherboard 3.5mm out and use the headphone DAC only if you feel the volume is not sufficient. To use the optical input of the speaker, you'll need a PCIe or USB sound card.
I don't know, I never used the port, and my Edifiers still haven't arrived yet. So you're probably right and I'm stuck with the 3.5mm.

Do you think it's worth getting a converter or new sound card or should I just stick to what I have? I'm not really an audiophile but I kinda feel guilty just realizing that optical would be best for it.

I don't think you should get a sound card before you have listened to the speakers. For these speakers, the improvement with a sound card may not be too great. Just let the speakers arrive, listen to them, let them burn in over a month or so of active usage, and then take a call.

A decent sound card will cost at least half as much as your speakers. Ideally, it's better to spend that money on better speakers rather than a sound card. But since you've already bought the speakers, you don't have that option even if you have the budget.

I don't think you should get a sound card before you have listened to the speakers. For these speakers, the improvement with a sound card may not be too great. Just let the speakers arrive, listen to them, let them burn in over a month or so of active usage, and then take a call.

A decent sound card will cost at least half as much as your speakers. Ideally, it's better to spend that money on better speakers rather than a sound card. But since you've already bought the speakers, you don't have that option even if you have the budget.
Guess waiting for it is the only thing left to do now. Just wanted to know my options and clear my mind before they arrive.

You've been more than helpful, great sir. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back