Elac 127 or Jamo S 606

subbani

Hi Everybody,

This is my first post in hifivision and looking for help. I have decided to buy the Onkyo 707 receiver and looking for good 5.1 speakers. The room I intend to keep the speakers is about 26 feet x 18 feet with a 20 feet high ceiling. I am getting a good deal on Elac 127 and also lookin at Jamo S606 5.1 speakers. I am unable to finalize since I am not an expert in acoustics. Please help me out.

Also please let me know if there are other good speakers I should consider as well.

Thanks

Last edited:
This is my first post in hifivision.

Welcome, have a great time

I am getting a good deal on Elac 127 and also lookin at Jamo S606 5.1 speakers.

Having heard both on a stereo setup, the Elac 127 was superb, but was a little bright with the Onkyo AVR (forgot which model), but it was splendid for a 5.1 setup; you need that extra crispness for movie duties. Strongly recommended if you're getting for a good price. IMO.

Please avoid that Jamo.

:)

I have Onkyo AVR with Jamo E series 7.1 set up with two towers as main front speakers and my family is quite happy with the set up. In fact, during one monsoon my bro-in-laws top of the range Marantz and our Sony TV burnt out due to voltage fluctuation whereas the Onkyo stood it's ground.

I've owned various Jamo speakers in the last 15 years and still have idle 2 pairs in addition to the 7.1 set up at home. Having also owned Bose 701 & 901, Canton and Infinity and reading various owner reviews on these speakers, I can comfortably say what sounds excellent to me can also sound garbage to others. Since you have a choice, strongly recommend a personal audition.

In case it helps, during my research for our HT upgrade, I had a side-by-side audition of CA Azur AVR and Onkyo and personally felt the CA had a much superior soundstage whereas the Onkyo just sounded pale in comparison. Even my wife and son noticed the difference (our son is an ardent fan of Onkyo, having handled Marantz and HK AVRs of my bro-in-laws). But at that audition, he had preferred the CA Azur.

Hence, would urge you to try out the CA Azur range as well, if possible.

Please let us know your final decision and the reasons for it. Until then, Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hi again,

Thanks for all your guidance. How about Wharfdale Diamond 9.6 series of speakers compared to Elac? I am planning to take auditions of the 5.1 setup very soon. Please let me know if I should consider them as well.

Regards

How about Wharfdale Diamond 9.6 series of speakers compared to Elac?

The 9.6 and even the 9.5 are great speakers for stereo as well as for movie duties, and they both got VFM attached, so it's a safe bet IMO. The percentage of folks here using Wharfedale is more than those of Elac, I mean, those Diamonds are tried and tested, so can't go wrong with them.

Said that, audition all those speakers mentioned above before taking the plunge.

Hi,

Thanks vindo_david for your continuous support.

I took an audition of Wharfedale Diamon 9.6 speakers and found it to be good as well.
The Wharfedale dealer played ordinary DVD's from a low powered receiver (75 W output) while the Elac dealer played Blue ray's and few high quality DVD's with an high end onkyo receiver, so it sounded good. I am now confused which one I should buy.

The config which Wharfedale dealer suggested is : -

1. Diamond 9.6 - 2 Font Speakers
2. Diamon 9.CM Center Speaker
3. Diamon 9.DFS - 2 Rear speakers
4. 12" PC 12 Bottom firing Sub Woofer

The total package comes to Rs 80,000 for only the speaker. Installation and all other stuff cost extra.

He also suggested that I go with Yamaha 2065 Receiver even though he said the Onkyo Receiver I choose (SR707) is good as well

I am extreamely confused. Please let me know what I should buy. My usage is 80% music and 20% movies.

Regards

Last edited:
I took an audition of Wharfedale Diamon 9.6 speakers and found it to be good as well.

Y'see at the end of the day, the final say are your 'ears' and your 'heart', please take the plunge on which you find VFM with good SQ.

My usage is 80% music and 20% movies.

Then why are you leaning towards an AVR and 5.1 setup; not to confuse you further, I find you like music more, then my suggestion would be to look at cdp, integrated amp., and a pair of FS or BS. What say ?

Hi Guys,

I am planning to go with Wharfedale 5.1 speakers with Yamaha receiver. The config is :-

1) Diamond 9.6 FS - 2 Nos
2) Diamond 9CM Center Speaker
3) Diamond 9 DFS Rear speakers - 2 Nos
4) PC 12+ Sub-Woofer
5) Yamaha 2065 Receiver

Planning to buy this package from Vector Systems Bangalore. What say guys ?

Regards

Hi Guys,

I am planning to go with Wharfedale 5.1 speakers with Yamaha receiver. The config is :-

1) Diamond 9.6 FS - 2 Nos
2) Diamond 9CM Center Speaker
3) Diamond 9 DFS Rear speakers - 2 Nos
4) PC 12+ Sub-Woofer
5) Yamaha 2065 Receiver

Planning to buy this package from Vector Systems Bangalore. What say guys ?

Regards

Hi:

Very good setup and good VFM. When planning to order?

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late reply.

I brought the system and including installation the package came to 1.35 Lakhs. I brought a Sony DVD player .. but unfortunately the DVD player plays only MP4 Simple Profile and not High Profile.

The system sound great.

Regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back