Elac Cinema 5 or Polk TL1600

Kevin

I have pioneer vsx 923k avr and planned to buy a HT package..I auditioned Polk and it is awesome for movies and ok for songs.. while checking for Elac Cinema 5 in Chennai I couldn't able to find dealer to take a demo can someone suggest a dealer in chennai.. I use HT for 70% music and 30% movies..which one will be good pls suggest?

I'll give you the rhetoric answer of - both are good. :D

I have Polk S series towers and center channel at home. Very happy with them. I took demo of ELAC 5 in US when I was there last and I found them good. Very crisp, clear and effective. Oh - I had taken a proper demo in Kolkata as well with an ELAC sub and it was good.

Difficult choice between them but I feel ELAC will be slightly better. But I won't go kill myself with Polk either. Pick the one that works in aesthetics and cost for you as well.

Personally, I am not into HT and can’t guide you on this like those deeply into HT can. But it’s quite understandable that you found the Elac more musical and Polk better for movies. It makes me wonder if it’s an imperative to have all speakers from the same stable/package for a HT system? Has anyone mixed up best of breed speakers to configure a system optimum for themselves? Is it possible to go with the musical Elacs as the front speakers, and Polk sub and rear speakers for movie effects? And may be a center speaker that best produces speech in your budget?

Of course that would end up being costlier than a standard package. But then, if synergies are ensured, might be the best customised solution for yourself. Expert FMs could perhaps opine if this approach is feasible?

Go with Polk. It's a great unit. Polk should match well with your receiver too.

Try auditioning with your receiver, profx should be able to accommodate that.

MaSh

I have pioneer vsx 923k avr and planned to buy a HT package..I auditioned Polk and it is awesome for movies and ok for songs.. while checking for Elac Cinema 5 in Chennai I couldn't able to find dealer to take a demo can someone suggest a dealer in chennai.. I use HT for 70% music and 30% movies..which one will be good pls suggest?

Hi,

I did use POLK TL1600 paired with Yamaha V477 for more than 5 years. I used it in a room which is 16*12. Here is my take.

The system is a great performer especially for movies and will perform very well if the room size is smaller. So take your room size into consideration.

The center channel along with the satellites are pretty good in terms of product and sound quality. The Subwoofer is 8" unit and perform well.

Music also sounds very good only when subwoofer is played along in a 2.1 Mode -> Check if your receiver has this mode.

You will definitely enjoy movies and this set would take your HT experience to next level.

What is your budget for speakers?..

In both of the budget 5.1 packages you have mentioned, they have 8 inch subwoofer.. Good, but may be not good enough for movies in the room..

Always good to choose 5.0 package than a 5.1 package.. Gives you the flexibility to add a stand-alone subwoofer over time..

Hi Kevin,

In my experience, if you want the best for both HT and music, you need separate dedicated setups. Not the most practical given constraints of space, budget and an irate household most of us face!

I've reached a happy median between both. Like you've experienced yourself, Polk is great for movie watching and there are better speakers for music.
@SachinChavan You were wondering about mixing speakers to get the best for movies and HT - I've got that going for me :)

I started with 2.1 Polk bookshelves + Sub and a Denon AVR doing both music and movie duties. Got myself a Rega stereo amp and tower speakers that are much better at music (Triangle Elara). The fronts are connected to both AVR and the stereo amp via a switcher and serve both music and movies. My Polk bookshelves have moved to surround L-R with the sub remaining connected only to the AVR for movie watching.

Very happy with the mix of speakers during movie watching and my music listening experience got a whole lot better with the dedicated stereo chain.
Most important of all, I could make do with the limited space I have and not get kicked out of the house :D

Hi, I was searching for small HT setup last month during holidays and tried a few setups including the ones you are looking at.

I bought ELAC Cinema 5 last month and its not at all bad for 150$, not sure whats the price you are getting there.
I tried it for a few days and returned
If you must go with small speakers then prefer to have a better subwoofer, stock sub never feels enough for movies and overall sound presentation becomes really thin.
Cinema 5 Sat speakers are very small and should do a good job in small room for movies on moderate volume, but feels bright as you go high. This may be helpful for movies but not at all for music. I tested these with Sony & Marantz AVRs.

4585B083-B759-42E4-8B3D-C3E2A89DD9B5.JPG

I have also had Definitive Technology ProCinema 400, speakers are about the same size as ELAC Cinema 5 but way better in tonal quality (specially music) and sub integration. These are also sold for about 200$ here. If these are available near you then give these a try if you can.

g735PCiN4B-o_satgrilleon.jpeg

I also auditioned Polk TL1600 package, I found them anytime better than ELAC Cinema 5 but again the stock subwoofer was not really that good and changing the sub to a bigger one changed the movie experience completely. These did a good job for movies as well as music on moderate volume.

Hope it helps.

Hi, I was searching for small HT setup last month during holidays and tried a few setups including the ones you are looking at.

I bought ELAC Cinema 5 last month and its not at all bad for 150$, not sure whats the price you are getting there.
I tried it for a few days and returned
If you must go with small speakers then prefer to have a better subwoofer, stock sub never feels enough for movies and overall sound presentation becomes really thin.
Cinema 5 Sat speakers are very small and should do a good job in small room for movies on moderate volume, but feels bright as you go high. This may be helpful for movies but not at all for music. I tested these with Sony & Marantz AVRs.

View attachment 42891

I have also had Definitive Technology ProCinema 400, speakers are about the same size as ELAC Cinema 5 but way better in tonal quality (specially music) and sub integration. These are also sold for about 200$ here. If these are available near you then give these a try if you can.

View attachment 42892

I also auditioned Polk TL1600 package, I found them anytime better than ELAC Cinema 5 but again the stock subwoofer was not really that good and changing the sub to a bigger one changed the movie experience completely. These did a good job for movies as well as music on moderate volume.

Hope it helps.
Better in what ways?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back