Emerald Physics CS 3

I dont think we need to differentiate between Valve amp and SS.. they are both the "same" as long as we look at it only at sonics..only the components used are different.

Assuming you mean sonics = sound signature, could you clarify why you think 'sonics' are the same between tube & SS amps?

Assuming you mean sonics = sound signature, could you clarify why you think 'sonics' are the same between tube & SS amps?

Hey marsilians,the so called 'Tube" and "SS" sound in my view is too much of a generalisation.... from my own example I own a Tube int amp (a leben CS600) and a SS one (A sugden A21al)

the Sugden, though an SS has classical tube characteristics of a liquid and thick midrange , sweet highs and rounded Bass
the leben is a different animal. with EL34 tubes they are "tubey" as above, but with 6L6 series they are more similiar to an SS in terms of punch etc.

so when I said it was "same" , my intention was that it may not be correct to assume that they are different as in the end they can sound quite unlike what we expect. Of course not sure if an SS would be able to sound like a 3W SET (But the T-Amps do come pretty close)

Suri, maybe because we can :D ..we like to make simple systems as complicated as we can:sad:
Sridhar, is there a gain control somewhere to balance gains across different amps ?

Yes absolutely, you can do this on the DSP crossover and compensate for the gains across the different amps. In fact, it has to be done :)

cheers

In my initial post mentioning that thee CS2.3s can be biamped with two different amps - it was only a way of saying tubes/SS can be mixed, there is no need to do it, instead it can be even a mix of say a cheap Pro amp for the bass (like a Crown, Qsc, etc) and a lower wattage but sonically better sounding amp for the mids/highs. At below 100 Hz (on CS2.3) the integration is not that difficult. The previous version had the cut off at 1Khz making the integration of two different amps harder.

Suri, you should come down for a listen :D

cheers

Hi Suri
I think here it comes to a matter of preference and tastes. I have tried all combos and I know that different people will prefer different setups. The EP CS2.3 is designed such that the bass frequencies are below 100 Hz and the rest is handled by the mid-woofer. I agree with what you say if the freq crossover is in the few hundred Hz or higher. At 100 Hz, there isnt much tone (though there is definition) and harmonics where tubes and SS really differ the most

cheers

Exactly!
The only CS 2.3 that is in India is with my friend who has put tubes and an SS and it works fine.
Shridhar would replacing the SS quad Monos in his set up with an SS amp with more control add to anything? Or would this exercise be a waste.
IMO the scale and impact is tremendous and things would be perfect if we could 'control' the bass. Tweaking the behringer and cutting the bass down alters the entire balance.
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar
Actually we ended the discussion last by him wanting to try a better SS amp for the mids/highs. Will there be a difference in control if he goes to a better amp - sure, but would the return he would get in spending for this change/upgrade be worth it - this is hard to say, depends on how well the amp does wrt to the Quads. I can tell you this the Symphonic Line we have has the best control of any amp that has passed through our showroom so far. There is a big difference in the control it exerts compared to other good amps we have, however at this point one has anyway reached the point of diminishing returns.

cheers

Exactly!
The only CS 2.3 that is in India is with my friend who has put tubes and an SS and it works fine.
Shridhar would replacing the SS quad Monos in his set up with an SS amp with more control add to anything? Or would this exercise be a waste.
IMO the scale and impact is tremendous and things would be perfect if we could 'control' the bass. Tweaking the behringer and cutting the bass down alters the entire balance.
Rgds

I forgot - the open baffle nature has enough surprises when people hear all the tracks they are accustomed to (in box speakers), so the best way to actually tube the behringer is to use a Real time analyzer (or a PC with a good Mic) and ensure that the freq response is as flat as possible in the room. Now listen to the same tracks - you will find that its not the behringer/speaker that needs tuning, its our ears/brains that need to be tuned to now establish a new reference as to what each track sounds like :lol: This exercise goes for any speaker, nothing special about the EPs in that respect. I would really encourage you to set it up in your friends place this way before any further tweaking is done.

cheers

You can hear cannons even on cheapy systems. There are 2 things to keep in mind however:

1. The SPL of the blasts - There are systems where this has gone as high as 115 dB
2. To feel the bass from 14:30 onwards as it goes below the hearing limit

Frankly, spl is the last thing I looked for in the canons :eek:
Definition, cleanliness, detail and speed in the bass region. These are the toughest things for most speakers to do. Spl is of course important. Without the first four, spl is meaningless.
In addition to the first four, the cs3 does an impressive job with spl in a medium sized room.

Reviving an old thread.
I heard the CS3s yesterday driven by an Ayon CDP and the Ayon Spirit Amplifier.

Went in with some pre-conceptions of sound( Thin, missing bass and "Digitised" midrange/treble").

Must way they were all shattered.

It is very clean sounding and extremely revealing speaker. has a articulate bass though not with the same overhang which gives it the "thickness" as box speakers and is surprisingly fast with a great midrange. i think it is a really great bargain today. I found it to be pretty aesthetically pleasing to look at as well . and playing around with the digital EQ for different response curves really changed its presentation.

i though the Ayon electronics were really doing a great job.. had so much more drive than what the specs suggest. The details provided by the CDP was almost as good as my Reimyo/CDM Pro2 combination.

Was not so impressed by the Usher Dancers though...had slightly lumpy bass inspite if being a large floorstander. although the midrange has a very good warmth to it. the Leben CS600 could not drive it well but the Ayon got a very good grip on it.

Last edited:
Hey Arj,

Never knew you were prowling around during the weekend :) Thought you were outtta town like we had discussed a week ago.

Yup the CS-3 is one of the few loudspeakers which had impressed me for its performance and value. Lack of "mud" in the sound and then Clarity -coherence in abundance. Yes they are quite special !

Hey Arj,

Never knew you were prowling around during the weekend :) Thought you were outtta town like we had discussed a week ago.

Yeah was supposed to be travelling but it got cancelled and hence visited sridhar...was planning on this for a very long time. Must say really enjoyed the session spent around 2 hours listening and could have done more were it not for a time cruch on my part.
listened to
Gary karr Double bass
Lata and jasraj vocals
jennifer Warnes and Loenard Cohen
Classical piece : the dance of the Tumblers from Tutti! reference disc
Manger Test disc tracks 9-11

the sense of scale , the dynamics and the tightness of sound was pretty impressive even with a 40W tube amp with KT88's ...and i have always thought of KT88s as Lush and warm sounding.

@Arj, Odyssey.

I have never heard the Ayons. The spirit 2 on the website looks awesome !

Interesting cd players too :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back