EMT 948 choice of a good MM cartridge

STALIN

Hello all,

which MM cartridge do you use ? Ortofon OM 1 is really not great , what have other members used ? Thanks for the advice

Alexander ( Paris )

Hello all,

which MM cartridge do you use ? Ortofon OM 1 is really not great , what have other members used ? Thanks for the advice

Alexander ( Paris )
I dont have a EMT turntable, but I use a EMT TSD15 MC cart with a acoustic signature TT and it is superb and neutral to my ears. But then I tend to keep my sources neutral, and add the colouration I want down the chain with cables, amps and speakers.

Which Phono do you use with it..is it the built in one ?
Also is it the EMT tonearm ?

If both are standard EMT then your cartridge is of course not at the same level. if its an external Phono then both the Cart and Phono need to be looked at..

Which Phono do you use with it..is it the built in one ?
Also is it the EMT tonearm ?

If both are standard EMT then your cartridge is of course not at the same level. if its an external Phono then both the Cart and Phono need to be looked at..
To be honest Arj...Iam a bit surprised that someone wants to use a MM cart on such a high quality table, unless of course its a step gap arrangement.

To be honest Arj...Iam a bit surprised that someone wants to use a MM cart on such a high quality table, unless of course its a step gap arrangement.

the EMT cart is what the table is made for hence any cart will be a compromise but it also depends on the Phono being used !

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply . I actually have 2 EMT 948 , one with the TSD 15 and the other one with the plain card only so I am looking for a good MM cartridge that would fit into the TSD headshell - it is for VG + records that have a few scrathes and could wear out the precious TSD 15

Thanks for the reply . I actually have 2 EMT 948 , one with the TSD 15 and the other one with the plain card only so I am looking for a good MM cartridge that would fit into the TSD headshell - it is for VG + records that have a few scrathes and could wear out the precious TSD 15
I believe reading EMT used to have a headshell with the option of of mounting SME cartridges but not sure of availability maybe you can as one of the Restorers about it. Alternate is to buy it from a ebay seller called Stanley engineering,..

there is also the EMT Headshell plug available Here.. if you are OK to take a regular headshell and remove its plug and install this on, that will also work. this way you can use your favourite headshell as an EMT headshell.

The easiest is a SME to EMT adaptor hence you can use a regular SME headshell with any cartridge and connect it to an EMT tonearm using this adaptor..but i am not sure if it messes with the Tonearm geometry !

you can add any MM Catridge you want after this..

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back