Entry Level AVR or second hand Denon 1602

astrixgaul

Hi Guys,

Please advice if it makes sense to buy DENON AVR-1602 ?
My usage:
- Using it TataSky HD
- Movies.
- 5.1 setup is ok for me.

I am getting a second hand box for ~10K.
What will I miss with Denon 1602 ?
What should I check before buying a second hand AVR.
Or Should I go for a new Low Cost AVR like Yamaha 371 or something similar.

I am a beginner and this will be my first purchase for my Home Theatre.
My Budget : Minimum is the keyword here !

Any suggestions/advice from the gurus here is most welcome.

Bye

The older receivers may not have HD decoding , if its more than some three years old.. So you will only get Dolby digital or dts processed even if you are connecting a blu ray player.. Again dts and Dolby digital will be 5.1 but it will not have the quality of of HD 5.1 ... So if you are getting an old one, try at least with some receiver with HD audio decoding .. Another thing is your luck! You may get a reciever which just had a service.. After some trouble and the owner wants to give it away fearing more trouble out of it.. ;) and they would nicely say: reason for sale :'upgrading' !

But if your use is only limited to Tata sky and DVD you can go for a used one, without HD provided you get a good bargain, in my opinion spending more than some 8k on an older one without HD is not a good idea..and make sure that you get all accessories like remote or calibration mics with it, as you may not get replacement for them, which are not in production now:)

Don't purchase any type old electronic equipment

Why so? Is it your personal opinion or there is any logic?

---

@astrixgaul - Please don't buy very old AVR as they are dated and will not serve your purpose. For e.g. this Denon 1602 is without any HDMI connection and that is like PC without USB and PCI. Really you can't do without a HDMI in today's time. Skip that ...

Yamaha V371 is very good basic AVR and you can safely buy that. I am using the same AVR as you can see from my signature below.

I personally still use the Denon AVR-1602 for my TV and Movies and very happy with it. I personally do not find a need to upgrade, but thats specifically to my requirement. I'm not into BDPs and dont require HDMIs. I also use my Apple TV3 through the optical port. I do watch quite a few movies in 1080p via my Apple TV and its great.

But hey, I'm a 2 channel guy :)

I personally still use the Denon AVR-1602 for my TV and Movies and very happy with it. I personally do not find a need to upgrade, but thats specifically to my requirement. I'm not into BDPs and dont require HDMIs. I also use my Apple TV3 through the optical port. I do watch quite a few movies in 1080p via my Apple TV and its great.

But hey, I'm a 2 channel guy :)

I understand when people tends to keep the old rigs and reluctant to upgrade but I don't see any good reason to buy a dated product whose features are the utmost important thing.

Even I won't upgrade my Yamaha V371 in near future even if I miss few features that may come along ...

Them old Denons could withstand a nuclear blast. I've seen pencil boxes with better build quality than the current lot.

Tata Sky HD has coaxial out, and I don't think we will see broadcasts with HD audio anytime soon in India.

If you intend to buy a BDP, get one with preouts. And if a media player is the source, most media flying around will have regular DTS soundtrack if I'm not mistaken.

A less expensive AVR now would free up more cash for the speakers. Upgrade the AVR when it dies.

I have bought and used some very good second hand equipment at good prices. Depending on the condition, old equipment can make a good deal.
Those good old vintage stuff cannot be bought new! I second shivam, I feel like if you were after some stereo amps and asked for suggestions, there would have been at least some 10 ppl from this forum to say 'just go for it!' :)

Hi Experts,

Many thanks for your suggestion. A very lively and infomative discussion indeed.

After going through it I have decided to forgo 1602....and wait for some more time for an AVR deal, which is a bit more "futureproof", in terms of HDMI support & decoding.

Thanks

Hi Experts,

Many thanks for your suggestion. A very lively and infomative discussion indeed.

After going through it I have decided to forgo 1602....and wait for some more time for an AVR deal, which is a bit more "futureproof", in terms of HDMI support & decoding.

Thanks

Good decision to retain 1602, save some money & buy an AVR later.....

Hi Experts,

Thanks

I believe he meant 'forget 1602' or sid he mean 'go for' , that typo confused someone here!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back