Entry level home theatre better than TV speakers

Caveman969

I have an LGC1 which has decent speakers and virtual surround for a TV and I want to upgrade to a better setup. I really don't know what my expectations should be with soundbars and home theatres. I've seen the obage 5.1 available for quite cheap and am considering that as an entry level option. Also samsung and philips has some 5.1 soundbar setups, some 3.1.2 around 30 to 40k.
I also considered bose 600 soundbar which was 50k, however expanding this in the future to 5.1 will cost another 50k atleast.
The final considerations I had was to get a yamaha 5,1 with avr and speakers (40k ish) or a denon avr (50k, 5.1) and spend another 25k on some speakers.

Can someone help me understand which is going to offer the best value and how these very different options are going to compare? I have a pretty small room and my wife doesn't let me increase the volume too high.

I have an LGC1 which has decent speakers and virtual surround for a TV and I want to upgrade to a better setup. I really don't know what my expectations should be with soundbars and home theatres. I've seen the obage 5.1 available for quite cheap and am considering that as an entry level option. Also samsung and philips has some 5.1 soundbar setups, some 3.1.2 around 30 to 40k.
I also considered bose 600 soundbar which was 50k, however expanding this in the future to 5.1 will cost another 50k atleast.
The final considerations I had was to get a yamaha 5,1 with avr and speakers (40k ish) or a denon avr (50k, 5.1) and spend another 25k on some speakers.

Can someone help me understand which is going to offer the best value and how these very different options are going to compare? I have a pretty small room and my wife doesn't let me increase the volume too high.
The AVR route will be better because of upgrades and sound quality.

Nikhil's replay made me laugh a bit as I was there too once at the same situation and so are most who come here asking for a 25 to 50k budget solution but end up spending lakhs and lakhs over the turn of a decade. (Hence its like welcome to the club of lost induviduals :)
To begin with, I spent money on a Sony 5.1 soundbar plus rear satellites, had it for a year - was good but not clean sounding and its mickey mouse sub woofer did little to nothing at all. But my ears wanted more.

So skittled here with a lot of questions got ridiculed a bit but got several brilliant answers that helped me get a preowned optical 7.1 AVR for 12k(one of its kind as optical supports only 5.1 in theory, widely believed but it worked - 7 channels were distinct), bought Micca 0o0 pairs for 10k each, (and a single piece for 7k), thats 37k plus 12k, sub woofers pair of Taga for 45k. So ended up with 12+37+45+4+3+5=1.06 lakhs. (I included wiring, electrician labour and HT calibration consultancy charges as I was new here and I was glad I did that).

The experience watching bluray discs was so immersive that I would say would make sound bars, HTIBs look like a distorted rusted train vibration. Then i spent for my other room an Atmos set up going up to 1.65 lakhs this time (Denon 2700h receiver cost me 65k instead of the Pioneer 817's 12k being the major difference). To my ears this was a masterpiece! Compared to the previous setup. I sold the Sony Soundbar HTIB and have used these for a year and a half when some HT local group painted a need for me to go 11 channel with a Marantz 8015 AVR which would cost 3 lakhs only for the receiver and maybe 2L for a used under warranty olx deal. Now my electricity bills went up and I installed solar for a few lakhs to offset the bill.

All these are rabit hole stuff. Therefore I just shut myself off HT groups so as to not get tempted to spend more. Now if someone asks me, I would advice them to find good second hand deals and once a good setup for a lakh or less is established, dont try to go for upgrades. Thats a never ending path.

Last edited:
Damn, the rabbit hole stuff is what I was afraid of. However I'm the kind of person who won't upgrade unless what i have goes bad or if the upgrade is significant enough (bought an open back and closed back headphones 2 years ago, still haven't upgraded)
I understand that avr route would be the best for long term usage but is a cheap 5.1 setup gonna sound better than an expensive 2.0 setup? (Since I'll be broke after getting the avr). That's why I was considering the obage speakers, they're supposedly quite clear and 15k is pocket change in comparison to expensive setups

Damn, the rabbit hole stuff is what I was afraid of. However I'm the kind of person who won't upgrade unless what i have goes bad or if the upgrade is significant enough (bought an open back and closed back headphones 2 years ago, still haven't upgraded)
I understand that avr route would be the best for long term usage but is a cheap 5.1 setup gonna sound better than an expensive 2.0 setup? (Since I'll be broke after getting the avr). That's why I was considering the obage speakers, they're supposedly quite clear and 15k is pocket change in comparison to expensive setups
I got it. Long story short, a 5.1 is better for home cinema while a good 2.0 is sheer bliss for music especially melodies.

A few low budget solutions for home cinema like zebronic jukebar 1000 (upfiring Atmos sound bar with a small subwoofer) for about 10k or Sony HT-S40R 5.1 for about 25k or yamaha 1840 HTIB 5.1 (Home theater in a box) for about 38k may suit your purpose. Or if music is more the need of the hour use case then even an Edifier active speakers pair for 13k (active speakers do not require an AVR). 2.0 is great for music usually but for cinematic effects you need surround sound for immersion. You could even look for Sony S500RF at about 35k if you want a little more bass compared to Sony S40R.

What is the approach most people take of they want both cinematic and music fidelity? 2 setups or one that can handle both.

What is the approach most people take of they want both cinematic and music fidelity? 2 setups or one that can handle both.
Thats the predicament that drives them to spend so much. For example: Marantz 8006 + couple of floorstanders for music (1.5 lakhs round about) plus a 7.2 AVR setup for about 2.5 lakhs. If one uses zone 1 and zone 2 in a highend AVR, it goes down by about 75K. But the world of AV enthusiasts do not consider an AVR as a good stereo amp. But to the average Joe like me, no big deal. I even enjoy music in surround! Stereo enthusiasts are from a different world. They are into a myriad of choices like DACs, tube amps, pre and power stereo amps, or even Luxman amp for 8 lakhs even!! They consider surround receivers as a clunky, fragile, compactly packed, flimsy, oddly designed and highly repair prone unwanted piece of engineering.

There is lot of elitism and snobery in the audiophillia field. Use your ears only and don't succumb to peer pressure.
I did the mistake of having 2 setups - one for cinematic and music. In this journey I have found that Cinematic experience is barely tolerable 2 channel setup but Music is pleasureable on both. Another experience that (it's my personal experience) is that what matters the most is the speaker and the avr / amp. All AVR's have option to turn on just two channels where all other channels channels, the surround decoding, digitial circuitry is turned off. Things like cables, class ABCDEFGH of the amp, valve vs solid state, analog vs digital, the cost of the cables are mostly placebos. Don't rely on reviewers and magazines. It is a rotten system like the medical field with the doctor pharma nexus. What you will enjoy totally depends on your psychology. Scientifically if something cannot be proved, ignore it. Just use your ears to decide and let that be the final decision. In many cases, faith is stronger than reason and if that is the situation rely on faith and do whatever means you have to satisfy your faith (money, effect, peer acceptance, etc). What matters is you get peace of mind and are happy.

As far as your original question is concerned, tv speakers are trash. Soundbars will give marginally better performance. Even a 2.0 system with book shelves will give better clarity. An AVR with book shelves is a good start. You can slowly upgrade and add the subwoofer and surrounds later.

Last edited:
I got myself Samsung Q800B last year for my bedroom TV (read "cinematic") watching. The 2-channel setup is in living room. I am happy keeping these separate.

If you are serious about expanding to 5.1 , first get Good AVR with 5.1 or if possible 7.1/9.1 channels for future upgrade.
And get Taga Harmony TAV-506 V.2 HT system which might fit in to your budget.
Also check out Elac debut bookshelves 5.1 or Qacoustics bookshelves 5.1 ht systems.
This should satisfy your need 60 to 70%.

If you are really a freak on good home theater system , then you need to start auditioning the speakers and build the system one by one as you get the budget.

I would say buy used.
Optical 5.1 avr, 5 speakers and a 8" subwoofer can all be procured for 30k.
Use it, gain understanding as to what is it you want and buy new later on.
That is what I did. Place your speakers and sub properly, use quality(not expensive) cables and you are good to go.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back