Entry level Stereo system

vinodkumarpr

After following this forum to educate myself about audio systems, it is time for me to embark on some practical. So I decided to buy a stereo system and this is my first attempt. Most of the vocabulary used to describe the audio characteristics is Greek and Latin to me. With my tiny understanding, I describe myself as one who likes slightly warm, but does not complain higher frequencies for Indian female singers. If this does not make sense, please bare the ignorance. I listen to mostly popular songs (Pop, Rock, Bollywood hits).

Against normal recommendation to start with speakers, I fixed Norge 2060 as amplifier (not adamant) to align to my budget.

Following are the shortlisted speakers:-
1) Norge New Millenium MK II
2) Monitor Audio M2
3) Wharfdale Diamond 10.1

Curious about:-
1) Tannoy Mercury V1
2) Norge Ultimo

Budget:-
1) Speakers 20,000/-
2) Amplifier 15,000/-

Source will be a Samsung CD/DVD player currently, which is not considered for upgrade as part of this exercise.
Please advise on how to go about this. It will be greatly helpful, if you could suggest stores in Bangalore?

norge + wharfe is a happy combo.. which everyone will agree here to give a good start.

and with left off money . .. save it add some money later whenever possible and add a DAC in between the dvdcd player and amp

It save it add some money later whenever possible and add a DAC in between the dvdcd player and amp
13.gif

try to get a Wharfedale 9.1 instead of 10.1 they were far better I have read (not heard).

Tannoy Mercury V1 / V4 FS are good for music listening. I do not know about their pairing with Norge. I recommend that you listen to them before finalising any other model.

Last edited:
My two cents - Please try Usher S-520. I think it is a far better speaker than the other options available at this price range, and can be driven by a low power/high quality amp. One more thing: In the entry level amps, they behave nicer at substantially lower volumes so a speaker with a stable impedance load (like the Ushers) would do well.

Zensor1 is really musical speaker.Other was CA S30(may not be available).Both are VFM.

Hi...
First Let Me Wish You All FM.....
Happy Diwali & New Year...

I own Zensor 1 BS & I am extreemly satiesfied.
It's realy very good sounding vfm Speakers in my personal humble opinion..Have recievd several Awards also...

But i will suggest for New Zensor 3 (If budget Permits,Launch Date Oct 2013) which is Fantastic Speakers...Pls check on Dali Web...have received Many Awards...
May little above your budget but its realy worth...

Goodluck....
Rajubhai

Last edited:
The 520s retail for around 24k. Worth every penny those speakers. Don't know the equation with Norge though. These sound good with with everything I have, a T20, a Marantz AVR and even with an Odyssey Kismet.

After following this forum to educate myself about audio systems, it is time for me to embark on some practical. So I decided to buy a stereo system and this is my first attempt. Most of the vocabulary used to describe the audio characteristics is Greek and Latin to me. With my tiny understanding, I describe myself as one who likes slightly warm, but does not complain higher frequencies for Indian female singers. If this does not make sense, please bare the ignorance. I listen to mostly popular songs (Pop, Rock, Bollywood hits).

Against normal recommendation to start with speakers, I fixed Norge 2060 as amplifier (not adamant) to align to my budget.

Following are the shortlisted speakers:-
1) Norge New Millenium MK II
2) Monitor Audio M2
3) Wharfdale Diamond 10.1

Budget:-
1) Speakers 20,000/-
2) Amplifier 15,000/-

Dear Vinod,
I had Norge-1000 amp and wharfe 9.2 monitors earlier. In 2009 they costed me 22k total and with my preference for "laid-back SQ" the combo was worth every penny. Considering your budget (20+15=35), like others... I also recommend Usher S-520 (@ 24k) and Norge-2060 (@10k approx). I've heard them, and these items are very capable... but their potential will be restricted by your DVD player (see "upgrade" below). Do take time to audition speakers. Since you are in Bangalore (lucky!), you should be able to audition the Ushers at ARN systems.

Future-upgrade: Considering similar budget-proportions, Your next upgrade MUST* be a VFM DAC like Beresford /Audio-GD FUN /Schitt Bifrost (all these are known to be little on warm side of neutral, and will complement S-520 very well).
* Don't repeat my mistake >> After 9.2 and 20k more I upgraded to Usher V-601, only to find that SQ did't improve significantly as my LG DVDP source itself was "average". (I used to be in "all DAC's are same" camp earlier :eek:)

Regds,

It's realy very good sounding vfm Speakers in my personal humble opinion..Have recievd several Awards also it.
13.gif

Being a good guy that I am, I'll be happy to take those 601s off you! :D

:D I'll keep that in mind when I decide to upgrade. 601's took a leap when I changed from DVDP to xonar soundcard and then another leap with Audio-GD 19 DAC. I don't know how many more leaps are in reserve, but I am sure not parting with them till they stop improving (next upgrade /leap due is speaker cables... :eek:hyeah:)

Regds,

Thank you all for your time and I really appreciate your enthusiasm.

There has been small progress.
1) Started communication with Mr. Shyam Bajaj from Norge audio
2) Visited
- DNI Home Theatre (Denon AVR + Dali Zensor 1)
- Home Theatre Store (Marantz + Wharfdale 10.1)
- Called up ARN for Usher S520 (18100/- for one speaker)
3) Bought Wharfdale 10.1 for 20600/- per pair. This speaker (probably with Marantz) pair sounded very nice.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back