Existing 2.0 satellite speakers for surround set-up

Kevvkeka

Hello Forum members
I am new to this forum and have just started to build my own Home theater speaker system. I have an existing 2.1 speakers, swans m10 and would like to use those satellite speakers for surround speaker set-up. Please let me know if i can connect these to my receiver.

https://swanspeakers.com/product/m10/

Receiver: Poineer VSX LX302
Front L & R: Polk S20
Planning to connect these speakers for surround set-up. Configuration is below for the speakers. If i configure the input impedance setting in my receiver to 4ohms, would it be sufficient or will the connection spoil my receiver or speakers??

Acoustic System of Satellite Speakers
SYSTEM TYPE 2-way sealed speaker system
DRIVER CONFIGURATION 3" mid-bass driver, 08" dome tweeter
FREQUENCY RANGE 120Hz-20kHz
HARMONIC DISTORTION 280Hz-20kHz≤1% (2.83 V/1m)
SENSITIVITY 87dB (2.83V/1m)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE
POWER RANGE 1-20W

Amplifier System of Satellite Speakers
FREQUENCY RANGE 120Hz - 20kHz
RATED POWER 8W RMS×2
SNR>88dB(Unweighed)
DISTORTION THD<0.5% ( 8Ω, 1kHz, 1W )
INPUT SENSITIVITY 600mV
INPUT IMPEDANCE 22kΩ
SEPARATION >60dB(L, R)

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
I would say not to Try/Use the speakers for surround setup.
The spec shows the risk involved for both AVR and mainly for speaker as it is mentioned as 20w(considering as max it can withstand).
AVR might with stand as it is tiny speakers but not the speakers.IMO

Planning to connect these speakers for surround set-up. Configuration is below for the speakers. If i configure the input impedance setting in my receiver to 4ohms, would it be sufficient or will the connection spoil my receiver or speakers??

You can connect the speakers to the AVR, but you need to do some mods..

Each satellite speaker, are not self powered and is powered from subwoofer with dual RCA ends.. You need to cut the RCA ends from them, and attach more lengthier speaker wires as it is for surr back.. (or) else open up the satellite speakers and you need to remove the older soldering of RCA cables & solder fresh lengthier cable..

As for the spec, it should be compatible with AVR and do the surr duties too.. Once you do the above mod, you may not be able to use the system back with its subwoofer..

You can connect the speakers to the AVR, but you need to do some mods..

Each satellite speaker, are not self powered and is powered from subwoofer with dual RCA ends.. You need to cut the RCA ends from them, and attach more lengthier speaker wires as it is for surr back.. (or) else open up the satellite speakers and you need to remove the older soldering of RCA cables & solder fresh lengthier cable..

As for the spec, it should be compatible with AVR and do the surr duties too.. Once you do the above mod, you may not be able to use the system back with its subwoofer..
Yes !! as mentioned by @elangoas you have to do some modifications.I missed to mention that.
If that speakers fails while cranking up the volume of AVR in any means it might lead voice coil burn and ultimately your original 2.0/2.1 configuration will be unusable if you are looking to put back in old condition with the same speaker.
Keep that in mind before taking decision.

Thanks guys, i think i'll leave that thought for now. Will go for it once i add a sub and a center channel for the set-up.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back