Extreamers compatibility with Marantz SR5001 Amp

naveenm

Hi,

My current entertainment setup is the following..

Amp is Marantz SR5001,
Projector is Panasonic AX100,
Speakers are Definitive,
woofer is a velodyne
player is Denon 1930

I plan to go in for an Xtreamer so that I can play movies off a hard disk and also use the other connectivity options. My concern is..would I be able to utilize my existing sound system to the fullest if I get an Extreamer?

I had read a thread somewhere that mentioned Xtreamer does not support HD Audio through a Marantz amp. Has this been fixed? I had spent a fortune on the amp, speakers and woofer :/

Awaiting your reply. Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Naveen Murugesan

I had read a thread somewhere that mentioned Xtreamer does not support HD Audio through a Marantz amp. Has this been fixed? I had spent a fortune on the amp, speakers and woofer :/

This is interesting. How can a player decide which amp it will play HD through?

Naveen, your Marantz 5001 is not capable of handling HD Audio and that is the issue. Irrespective of which player you use, unless the sound is decoded outside the amplifier and sent as analogue signals, you will not get HD Audio on your SR5001. I am going by the specs that I read here.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Venkat. Does this mean the amp is really not going to do a lot? Sorry about my ignorance. I had a consultant setup my entertainment system before 2 years.

So should I have a decoder connected between the xtreamer and the amp? Could you please let me know what kind of decoders I should get.

Thomas..the ax100 has been used under 100 hours.

Naveen:

The Marantz SR5001 does support 8 channel analogue in. What you need to look for is a media player that has 8 channel analogue out.

Cheers

Venkat..The newer models Xtreamers- the one with built-in Sidewinder and Xtreamer Pro has HD audio (dolby DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD).

I can utilize the Xtreamer as it has Multi-output audio like Dolby Digital and DTS which surely the Marantz can read via HDMI or optical. Both Xtreamer and Marantz have the optical options which I could certainly use! Pls correct me if I am wrong.

What is the source of movies in hard disk?

One way is to ensure that

Original Source (E.g. DVD) --> Media File on HDD --> Xtreamer --> Amp

All these stages use the SAME codec and that has to be a codec that is supported by everything.

E.g. AC3 Codec can be used while creating Media file on HDD, AC3 (Dolby) is supported by both:

1. Xtreamer
2. Marantz SR5001

This way you can feed Sound to Marantz by HDMI or Optical and you should get 5.1 sound.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back