Few DIY Phono Pre amps which I built

Selvin

Dear All

Here are few phono Preamps which I built. (Pictures Below)

I used the circuit of Rod Elliott ESP phono circuit with National Semiconductors LM4562 op amps. A Sub Sonic Filter also added in the output of the phono stage. All resistors used are low tolerance metal film type and electrolytic capacitors are Keltron make.

The power supply is 15V dual type and constructed with regulator chips LM337 and 317 instead of conventional 78xx, 79xx series. Supply filters are 2 nos 2200f and 4nos 1000f electrolytic capacitors. External 1A 16VAC wall adaptor used for feeding supply.

The cabinet is a small commercially available FM stereo metal box. For the front face plate I used two layer commercially available silver color sheet which is commonly using for vehicle nameplates / stickers. The unwanted holes in the cabinets are so hidden.

In other aspects high quality solder led and gold plated RCA sockets used. PCBs are Common Purpose type and resin coat done on layout side of PCB after completion soldering and testing. Shielded cables are used for all signal connection. Mirror image layout used for L&R channels for better sound balance and image.
Please note after burn in period the LM4562 ICs performance are not up to my satisfaction and after few trials with different op amps finally settled with Texas make NE5532.

Completed Final view

Front View while working

Rear View

Inside View

The right side board is power supply board and left one is subsonic filter. The phono stage board is bottom of subsonic board.

Side open view

In the same way I constructed another phono stage for our FM Vijayan. In addition to the phono stage he asked Bass / Treble control also. I used a commercial bass/treble board for his purpose. A DIRECT switch provided for bypass the bass/ treble stage. The cost went up almost double due to the bass/treble board and dual control pots. Here the picture of that one.

When assembling... The green board is the one for bass/treble. Power supply board mounted in vertical orientation. Phono amp and subsonic filter assembled as a single PCB.

The completed final view

Your views and comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Hi Selvin

Superb job, specially the black one is a stunner.

btw how's the sound ?

regards

Ashish

For me it is good. Others it may subjective.

For my ears it is better than NAD PP1. More or less its sound is similar to Cambridge Audio 640. I done this for my earlier setup with Denon AVR-1907. Because AVR 1907 doesn't have phono input. When comparing with my present amplifier Marantz PM KI Pearl Lite's inbuilt phono stage, Marantz is little more transparent and detailed. The Marantz inbuilt phono stage is complete discrete transistor type and suppose not to compare. I checked with Vijayan and his feed back is better than his Denon stereo amps inbuilt phono stage.

In general I must say better than most inbuilt phono stages of stereo amps costing up to 40k and suit any AVR's which doesn't have phono input.

Dear All

Here are few phono Preamps which I built. (Pictures Below)

I used the circuit of Rod Elliott ESP phono circuit with National Semiconductors LM4562 op amps. A Sub Sonic Filter also added in the output of the phono stage. All resistors used are low tolerance metal film type and electrolytic capacitors are Keltron make.

The power supply is 15V dual type and constructed with regulator chips LM337 and 317 instead of conventional 78xx, 79xx series. Supply filters are 2 nos 2200f and 4nos 1000f electrolytic capacitors. External 1A 16VAC wall adaptor used for feeding supply.

The cabinet is a small commercially available FM stereo metal box. For the front face plate I used two layer commercially available silver color sheet which is commonly using for vehicle nameplates / stickers. The unwanted holes in the cabinets are so hidden.

In other aspects high quality solder led and gold plated RCA sockets used. PCBs are Common Purpose type and resin coat done on layout side of PCB after completion soldering and testing. Shielded cables are used for all signal connection. Mirror image layout used for L&R channels for better sound balance and image.
Please note after burn in period the LM4562 ICs performance are not up to my satisfaction and after few trials with different op amps finally settled with Texas make NE5532.

Completed Final view

Front View while working

Rear View

Inside View

The right side board is power supply board and left one is subsonic filter. The phono stage board is bottom of subsonic board.

Side open view

In the same way I constructed another phono stage for our FM Vijayan. In addition to the phono stage he asked Bass / Treble control also. I used a commercial bass/treble board for his purpose. A DIRECT switch provided for bypass the bass/ treble stage. The cost went up almost double due to the bass/treble board and dual control pots. Here the picture of that one.

When assembling... The green board is the one for bass/treble. Power supply board mounted in vertical orientation. Phono amp and subsonic filter assembled as a single PCB.

The completed final view

Your views and comments are welcome.

It looks like a commercial phono stage. Good Job!!!

This is an old thread, my apologies for lighting it up after 6 years, but would you have the schematics of these phonostages featured here? Would be great to try these.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back