Final Can Shoot-out - M50 Vs D1100

TheSeeker

Hello everyone !

not much time has passed since i had bothered you all with my 'JVC HA-RX900 Vs M50' thread. that subject was duly resolved, but finally when i was going to place my order a few days back, another thread on a different forum (TDF) caught my attention and left me wondering again (i remember there one person was particularly critical of the M50s and was all praises for the D1100). reading through that thread, my mind has come to hover over these two HPs after contemplating over and then discarding some other options like ultrasone hifi 580, grado sr80i, beyerdynamic dt770/880/990 pro, sony mdr-xb500/700, etc.

as much as i've read since then, i have seen people repeatedly recommending denon D1100 over the M50 for its powerful bass, but at the same time, some have also revealed that the M50 being studio-monitors, can be easily Eq'ed according to one's music-taste, while its difficult to cut-down on the bass of the D1100 even with an equaliser, and that could become an issue with songs/genres where a powerful bass could mean a bit spoiling of the sound. i dont know to how much extent is it true.

some points of competition between them :

1. M50 can be Eq'ed pretty well, but same doesnt stand true for D1100

2. D1100 has more amounts of 'tight & punchy' bass, all the while maintaining a decent grip on SQ and soundstage

3. M50 is 'slightly' cheaper (at 7450/-; denon for 8990/- on flipkart)

4. build-quality of M50 is much better than D1100, plus you have the coiled cable too with the M50

i listen to all types of music, but mostly folk metal/metal, electronica, classics, classical instrumental, trance, world music, etc, EXCEPT hip-hop, black metal & soft romantic songs.

please suggest which one of the two should i opt for. i need to make a quick decision as i think there's no surety of till how much time M50's stocks would last, but at the same time dont want to feel or curse myself at the end of it "why didnt i buy THAT one instead ?!" :p

thanks in advance !

P.S. - waiting for some suggestion from 'theironhorse', 'blasto', 'bluu' as well :)

Last edited:
for mcomparison in terms of SQ ..m50 is considered comparing with d2000 and the ultrasone 580's and so on....

d1100 will have a better soundstage but the bass sometimes will be over whelming for you would not be able to listen all kind of genre on the same.. maybe EQ might help...

m50 is an all round headphone...and as stated can be EQ'ed well.

m50's can be checked out at prinstine note mumbai.. try to demo the d1100 if poss.. and you'd be able to figure out.. but for the music you happen to listen m50 will still do the trick... for you stated that pc is equipped with a xonar...

look out for the ultrasone 580's as well and the audio technica pro-700 mkII

nice to see your reply !

yes i understand about the comparison, but D2000 is currently quite higher than my budget, and am not much inclined towards the ultrasones due to the build-quality and the surround sound gimmickry involved.

i guess i would go with the M50, and may be get the D1100 a while later, and then sell off the one which i feel wont be used much then ;)

Havent really heard the D1100, but the M50's are a great pair of earphones (for the money!).

Cheers!

If you can handle the pressure it applies on the head for sealing outside noise, these are the bes out there.
Also, A hot place like mumbai will make you sweat like hell during the summers if you are wearing them.
From sound perspective, no complaints.

If you can handle the pressure it applies on the head for sealing outside noise, these are the bes out there.
Also, A hot place like mumbai will make you sweat like hell during the summers if you are wearing them.
From sound perspective, no complaints.

i can understand. now my choices have changed a bit (though still closed cans, and probably one open one ;))

am going to audition a denon AH-D2000 at a [TE] member's place. if i like it, i would get it from him itself, otherwise i would get an ATH-A900 :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back