Finally a first setup: Amp for Q Acoustics 2020i : Norge 2030 or Audioengine N22 ?

humblebee

Hello,

First the good news : I was finally inspired to have a basic acceptable audio setup and to that end I just acquired Q Acoustics 2020i as my new speakers !!!
This is a bedroom setup.

Now, I have been searching for an amp and have a choice between Norge 2030 and Audioengine N22.

I would be interested in knowing what your experience says about them.
Also, how do they compare on sound quality?

Some other things that I would appreciate in the amp:
1) Low Power consumption
2) Ability to connect a subwoofer at a later date (does Norge have this? It has an out saying Rec/Out. Whats that?)
3) Headphone out
4) Acceptable audio quality to match the speaker - enough to be called entry level hifi maybe..

My sound preference - I was recently on a listening binge and realised that I don't like too much details. The music should be enjoyable and easy on the ears. I also like smooth sound.
These speakers have a bit of a warm sound so I was wondering which amp would suit them better keeping in mind my preference.
But I am not too picky about sound either.

I listen to rock and soft pop and celtic. I plan to listen to indian classical instrumental soon.

Also - there is no way for me to audition them. So, either I buy these now (I have been sitting with these speakers without listening for a month now and I am having an itch that can be termed 'strong' maybe ???) or I wait for a few months and end up with a good AVR so that I have the ability to upgrade to 5.1 later (like Cambridge Audio Azur 551R or maybe a Pioneer VSX-823 so that I also have good audio).

I am leaning towards Norge as it is Made in India !
But the Audioengine weighs just 1.6 kgs but it is a Class A/B amp.
The Norge weighs 4.6 kgs but it must be having a steel chassis thats why I guess its heavy.

Thanks

Last edited:
Finally a first setup: Amp for Q Acoustics 2020i : Norge 2030 or Audioengine ...

If you can go for other brands then Marantz pm 5004 entry level is also fine. I had heard that combo and it was good. The amplifier is warm so it should be to your liking.

It is always good to audition and then decide.

Last edited:
Re: Finally a first setup: Amp for Q Acoustics 2020i : Norge 2030 or Audioengine N22

The Audioengine N22 sounds like it is made for your needs - given the headphone output separately. However with 22w per channel, would it drive your 2020s properly ?

Re: Finally a first setup: Amp for Q Acoustics 2020i : Norge 2030 or Audioengine N22

I suppose you are casual listener & like good presentation of sound irrespective of whether it is a stereo amp/ AVR... If thatz the case, you should think abt an AVR....

Some convenience that you will get with an AVR & not with stereo amplifiers...

- USB Inputs... These allow you the flexibility of playing almost any format like MP3/FLAC/WAV

- DAC... Reasonably good ones... If you get a stereo amp, you might need a USB DAC later to improve the sound quality....Only a trained ear can distinguish a difference between stereo amp/AVR in stereo mode.... Otherwise you are good with an AVR.....

- Connectivity... If you have a LED TV, you can make you use of HDMI input/output in the AVR, which will remove the hassle of too many wires....

Thanks for the responses guys.

@amit11 - Marantz is always the fav, but I am not that picky on sound.
Besides, I personally feel that DAC improvements effect me more.

@preth30 - Maybe this is not a very difficult choice but I have no way to demo and this is my first entry into this level of sound. That's why I was thinking of having some opinions from those who have listened to Audioengine and Norge. Otherwise my guess is Audioengine would be better.

@grunthos - How much amp power do you think should be enough? At 6ohms & 88db, this amp should give around 30W. I dont listen very loud but sometimes when in a party mood I do push sound levels - but they shouldn't distort.

@elangoas - Yes AVR will have many conveniences. I don't have a very trained ear but I am sensitive to harsh sounds, so I have a reasonably good PC setup with an M-Audio 2496 sound card & a well configured PotPlayer. Do you think the avg AVRs (say upto 40k) will give a better sound? I did listen to a low-end AVR by pioneer (VSX322) and my current setup is much better sound wise.

@elangoas - Yes AVR will have many conveniences. I don't have a very trained ear but I am sensitive to harsh sounds, so I have a reasonably good PC setup with an M-Audio 2496 sound card & a well configured PotPlayer. Do you think the avg AVRs (say upto 40k) will give a better sound? I did listen to a low-end AVR by pioneer (VSX322) and my current setup is much better sound wise.

Midrange AVR's around the cost that you have mentioned, will be better than the low-end VSX 322... Something Like Pioneer VSX 8xx series should sound much better than the 3xx series.... I hope you are aware that the sound also depends on the quality of the material played (MP3/FLAC/WAV)....

Thanks for the responses guys.

@grunthos - How much amp power do you think should be enough? At 6ohms & 88db, this amp should give around 30W. I dont listen very loud but sometimes when in a party mood I do push sound levels - but they shouldn't distort.

I would imagine atleast 40-45w per channel from the amplifier. Otherwise you are restricted to choosing speakers with high sensitivity. And more than distortion, you should worry about clipping

If you have considered Norge then why not consider Sonodyne as well. The Sia 320 is a decent amplifier with enough power in the reserve for the speakers, while not as accomplished as Marantz it is quite decent and will suit your need well.

Hi humblebee,

I am not audiophile but I think before connecting these speakers to any amp, please do lots of R & D on the amp specs, read this Horrible experience with Q Acoustics 2020i | Forum | What Hi-Fi?

I dont want to make you negative about your choice, personally I am fan of Q acoustics, but I think you should be very careful to pair it with any amp.

There is something that I have read about volume levels.

1 watt power produces 85db sound.
After that twice the amount every time is needed to raise the volume by 3 db. So 2 watts raises it by 3 db then 4 watts raises it by 3db & so on...

So overall:

1 watt - 85db
3(1+2) watts - 88db
7(3+4) watts - 91db
15(7+8) watts - 94db
31(15+16) watts - 97db
63(31+32) watts - 100db
127(63+64) watts - 103db

Is this true ?

If yes then going by this we are looking at volume less than 97db assuming 25W @ 6ohms.

Also how does speaker sensitivity affect this equation?

Slight error in the arithmetic: double the watt count to raise the dB by 3.

1 W: 85 dB (this is the basic efficiency of the speakers to convert electrical energy to sound energy, in dB of loudness measured at 1 meter distance when the speakers are fed 1 watt of power).
1+1=2W: 88 dB - double the wattage to get a 3 dB increase in loudness
2+2=4W: 91 dB
etc

Last edited:

Hi bumblebee, I'm having the same Q Acoustics 2020i speakers. I very recently bought the Onkyo TX8020 stereo amp to pair with this and I must say the combination is very sweet sounding.
source is my htpc driven with a FiiO D07 DAC.

Hmm...been doing some study and this is what it looks like :
It seems that the major characteristics are :

1) The class - Tube or AB or D or T
2) Amount of Power - 20W / 45W / 70W / 125W / 200W - matched to listening volumes & Speaker sizes
3) Quality of Power

As of now I am thinking brit amp for brit speakers and so class AB + 45W takes me to Cam Audio Azur 351a.

Thanks to everyone.

Take into account a 20 percent reserve or headroom.

Regards

Take into account a 20 percent reserve or headroom.

Regards

Thanks but I don't understand what you suggest.
Do you mean that speakers should have higher power rating or amp?

Speaker specs say : Recommended Power - 25-75W

Also I am not able to figure out if this amp has a subwoofer out.

I am asking because I thought that it was better to have a higher speaker power.

Because:

1) My 5 year son likes turning knobs and that too with a high frequency :)
2) It won't be possible to raise volumes to levels that speaker can't handle
3) Heavy bass & high frequencies cause power peaks and so power out of amp should not be near max level of speakers.
4) 50W should be enough for moderately high volume.

Let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks

The more powerful the amplifier, the better control it has over the speaker and generally better performance that way. Of course with a higher powered amplifier if you turn the volume beyond tolerable level of the speakers then there will be trouble.

Low frequencies and dynamic performances require more power, and the extra power comes in handy there, I believe that is the '20 percent reserve' mpw is alluding to.

Well, in that case the speakers should have a protection circuit.
Now that I think about it, why isn't it already there in speakers?
Also while we are at it, there should be a protection circuit in amps.

Let's see what we can do about that ...

Are there any external protection circuits available to attach to these devices?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back