Finally got hold of NAD 402 Tuner

sgautam

Dear all,

After atleast two years of search I got hold of the famous NAD 402 Tuner. I am pleased to report that the tuner works perfectly and am just experimenting with it to know how good it is.

First thing I noticed was it was picking up some signal of Vividhbarathi - FM103.4 at Vijayawada without any antenna attached, it was very surprising since none of my tuners (i have seen a fair number till date) were able to do so. I had to attach to my main rig to appreciate how good it sounds.

Since I got hold of this I am rethinking of buying a NAD pre and complete my NAD setup since I have a power amp already. I sold my NAD pre last year - a foolish mistake. The tuner's reputation is well deserved, its airy and the sound is quite natural. However truth be told my Marantz pre processor comes close to the sound quality albeit with a different sound signature.

I paid 6.5K and got from a local AV dealer who brought this from Chennai. He landed today morning only and I was there before he had unpacked and he was surprised to see me travelling 40 km to get it.

Should appreciate NAD for maintaining manuals even for their vintage models in their site. It helps in using the component to the max.

Attached are some pics, as you can see the logo is rubbed off a bit due to close packing but otherwise its OK and seems well built like all NADs.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 213
It was one of the best tuners available at one point and a what-fi award winner in 1994. After owning one for quite some time, I think I can proudly say that I will never part with mine :)

My 7020e's tuner is also extremely good. Must be the case with most of the NAD tuners.

Dear all,

After atleast two years of search I got hold of the famous NAD 402 Tuner. I am pleased to report that the tuner works perfectly and am just experimenting with it to know how good it is.

Congratulations. I too recently picked up my first NAD device and really amazed at its performance considering its age.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back