Finally setting foot in Home Audio

Mi_10

Hi I am Praveen from Chennai, after spending prime of my years in running behind cars and car audio,i finally hit upon another nice yet expensive hobby to overcome my mid life crisis.

Frankly speaking this is the first time i ve ever been seriously thinking of having a setup at Home. Of course, i still have a Bose Companion Series II that i use for Computer (occasional music / games / movies), but nothing even remotely serious. After blowing chunks of $$$ in Car (and i still do), i have finally made up my mind to invest in a audio setup (still not clear if it should be a HT or a ST).

Looking forward for nice enlightening traction with fellow HFV members

Cheers
Mi10

Hello. Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for this. Hope it helps you get the information you want.

welcome aboard Praveen - Mi10 ! nice to see you here !
how is your 1.6 scross treating you!?

just in case if you are wondering - this is bhpistorqintorpm
-Som

Welcome to this awesome forum Praveen. :)
If you came here to overcome your mid life crisis, then get ready to widen your crisis by burning your $$$ on audio gears as well.
Just kidding.. :D
This is Dinesh from Chennai as well. ;)

Welcome Praveen, with your music background and exotic endeavors in car audio and more importantly, your listening and tuning skills will come in handy here.

Frankly for your listening precision, a combo of HT and ST in the same chain will not work as the focus is different between HT and ST.

Depending on budget, you can look at building an active setup as well since you have good experience with DSP tuning features.

At the same time a passive setup will be a good place to start.

My suggested approach is always to identify the speaker and then build the rest of the chain around it.
This is the route I took when I did both my active 3-way and the current passive setups for home ST.

welcome aboard Praveen - Mi10 ! nice to see you here !
how is your 1.6 scross treating you!?

just in case if you are wondering - this is bhpistorqintorpm
-Som
Nice to see you here som :) 1.6 is going good.

If you came here to overcome your mid life crisis, then get ready to widen your crisis by burning your $$$ on audio gears as well.
Just kidding.. :D

Ha ha! such crisis stricken life these audio aficionados suffer from :)

Welcome Praveen, with your music background and exotic endeavors in car audio and more importantly, your listening and tuning skills will come in handy here.

Frankly for your listening precision, a combo of HT and ST in the same chain will not work as the focus is different between HT and ST.

Depending on budget, you can look at building an active setup as well since you have good experience with DSP tuning features.

At the same time a passive setup will be a good place to start.

My suggested approach is always to identify the speaker and then build the rest of the chain around it.
This is the route I took when I did both my active 3-way and the current passive setups for home ST.

Thanks Kannan, for the warm welcome. I am still learning the lingo of Home Audio, esp the HT part. looking forward for all your suggestions

Welcome onboard Praveen. Good youve to come the other horizon to explore the wild turfs in Home Audio.

Go for HIFI only if your serious about Music.

You probably don't know about this Crazy Guy. His handle is Mi10 in other car forums. Just google around with his handle to read a bit about his experiments in car Audio :)

You can start with auditions.
For great 2-channel experience try AV Lounge in Kilpauk, You will get a good feel of a full analogue setup with turntables and tube gear and also a full digital setup.
He has four dedicated listening rooms for 2-channel with different flavors n budgets and one for HT.
Just call and fix a suitable time with him. His name is Mr. Venkat. You can get his number from the website avlounge.in

Other hifi showrooms around include Decibels, Volumate, Audio People, Cinebels, Audire, Cinema Focus, Cressida, Pro-FX as I remember.

You can start with auditions.
For great 2-channel experience try AV Lounge in Kilpauk, You will get a good feel of a full analogue setup with turntables and tube gear and also a full digital setup.
He has four dedicated listening rooms for 2-channel with different flavors n budgets and one for HT.
Just call and fix a suitable time with him. His name is Mr. Venkat. You can get his number from the website avlounge.in

Other hifi showrooms around include Decibels, Volumate, Audio People, Cinebels, Audire, Cinema Focus, Cressida, Pro-FX as I remember.
Any idea , what could be the starting budget for the entry level stereo setup(Amp + Speakers) in avlounge.in

Any idea , what could be the starting budget for the entry level stereo setup(Amp + Speakers) in avlounge.in
They have speakers I think starting from around 50k.
Amps you need to find.
The showroom is running some offers aswell on Spendour speakers, stock clearance I guess.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.

Like FM Kannan said, select the speakers first and gradually start selecting other components. But first and most important thing - Take the AUDITIONS FIRST!

Hi I am Praveen from Chennai, after spending prime of my years in running behind cars and car audio,i finally hit upon another nice yet expensive hobby to overcome my mid life crisis.

Frankly speaking this is the first time i ve ever been seriously thinking of having a setup at Home. Of course, i still have a Bose Companion Series II that i use for Computer (occasional music / games / movies), but nothing even remotely serious. After blowing chunks of $$$ in Car (and i still do), i have finally made up my mind to invest in a audio setup (still not clear if it should be a HT or a ST).

Looking forward for nice enlightening traction with fellow HFV members

Cheers
Mi10

Hi,

Welcome to HFV.

This is indeed a good platform where you have many Fellow Members (FMs) who come from different backgrounds but with one common goal...to have the best cost effective AV in their homes and other places.....some of us are certified / qualified in AV ...while the rest (like myself) are regular users who have experienced multiple systems with time (radio & cassette days).

I am sure you will find all the required information to your queries / issues....all you need is to browse the threads which are posted and use the Search feature which is very effective!

All the best, happy browsing!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back