Floorstander comparision - Seek views

Sirshendu

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but have been following some threads quite keenly. Surprisingly i did not find any discussions about Quad speakers (non electrostatic ones - the 'L' series).

Would like to ask for some inputs / user feedback / opinions on comparing the following floorstanders - all are 2.5 way and approximately in the same range of price :
Quad 22L2
B&W 684
Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6
Dali Ikon 6

I will run them on a NAD C355BEE steroe amp (80W / channel RMS @ 8 ohms).
LIsten to mostly blues, jazz, classic rock, world music, folk and country.

Would really appreciate your inputs - how do you think each of them stack up against the other.

best,
Sirshendu

i would take the b&w off the list. check out the monitor audio rx6 as well. they're similar to the dalis in sound but better imo. from reviews and user opinions the quads are quite well liked. again i would rate the monitor audios above the mezzos. the monitor audio silver series is one of the speakers to beat in its price range. they also pair very nicely with the nads. sweet highs, full mids. the bass is big though not as tight as i could like and also a little distant. and definitely no listening fatigue

at the end of it its up to your ears and what sound you like. all systems have their own characteristics when it comes to their output. they're all good but only you can decide which one you prefer

i would like to suggest yu a [pair of jamo d 590 /570 they are very mnusical and great for home theatre experience too

audition them and tell me how do u find theem

i am planning to get a pair
u can audition them at cinebels in mgm metropolitan mall

Shirshendu, by the time this thread goes half way, i can wager you would be more confused than when you started :lol:

The only way you can get what you want is by listening to them yourselves while you will get a wealth of suggestions here, no one can decide for you as it has to be your ears.

I would suggest taking your amp with you to listen to as many speakers as you can withing you range. try to make sure you listen to music you are really really aware of and you spend at least 30 mins to 1 hour for each session.

BTW What CDP do you use now ?

Thanks a ton guys. this is actually quite helpful.

Dr Bass - i really cant change the amp. just bought this about 4 months back and this was the one wanted for a long time. so i would rather pair the right speaker with them than change the amp.

afj - thanks. i think i should include the Monitor audios as well. and i guess many have actually said exactly the same thing about the B&Ws. Mezzos i was myself not very convinced about.

So now it is down to the Quads, MA and Dali. hmm getting more interesting... :)

i agree with arj about the 'confusion' creation on a forum like this... but hey i guess its good to take in views and experiences. then you are also more tuned to look for the right stuff.

will come back with my listening experiences with the Quads - have already audioned the bookshelves... but i need the towers.

All selected speakers are very good but all depends which speakers gives u most pleasant listening experience. Listen all available speakers with your favourite speakers then finalize.

hi,

I need some advice to understand this better. Just auditioned the Quad 22L2s today. spent a good 2 hours with all the kind of music that i play and also with my own amp at the shop. Guess what?? they really sounded bright... !!! the highs were almost hurting at the beginning and then sort of mellowed... well i dont know if i got used to listening to this... but thats how it is... not sure what the issue is.
I had heard the Quad 22Ls sometime back and they sounded very good. what could be the issue?
Can running in better the sound that much? also my amps are also relatively new - just about 3 months and not really run in themselves.... but can the sound change that dramatically? any views on this?
the highs wer shrill at times and hurting... while the lows were quite muddy and not compact.
My amp is pretty powerful for a comsumer amp. and these are 6 ohm speaker.
what can i do? shoud i try bi wiring? will that help? or should i let the amp break in and then audition the speakers?
- sirshendu

The speakers must have been new ones with less than 50 hours or so in them to have this much of bright sound as u mentioned.I think the Quads need some 500+ to settle in if i heard it right somewhere.I had heard a used pair of Quad 22L(not L2 i think) sometime back and they were just awesome,and very neutral if not a bit laid back.

hi,

I need some advice to understand this better. Just auditioned the Quad 22L2s today. spent a good 2 hours with all the kind of music that i play and also with my own amp at the shop. Guess what?? they really sounded bright... !!! the highs were almost hurting at the beginning and then sort of mellowed... well i dont know if i got used to listening to this... but thats how it is... not sure what the issue is.
I had heard the Quad 22Ls sometime back and they sounded very good. what could be the issue?
Can running in better the sound that much? also my amps are also relatively new - just about 3 months and not really run in themselves.... but can the sound change that dramatically? any views on this?
the highs wer shrill at times and hurting... while the lows were quite muddy and not compact.
what can i do? shoud i try bi wiring? will that help? or should i let the amp break in and then audition the speakers?
- sirshendu

With which amps did you hear the Quad 22 first time around ?

I had heard the QUads on a NAD the first time around as well. In fact those were a lower power amp - 50 Watts per channel.

Imrahn - yes these were straight out of the box... in fact they opend the packing in front of me for the audition.

hi,

- sirshendu

i havent found that much difference in burn in when it comes to amplifiers. the nad is a warmer sounding amp. its going to sound pretty much like it does even after you play it in. im not saying there wont be a difference - just that it wont be so much. as for speakers the burn in is more for the mids and lows - the cones that move around. generally they have a covering at the back of the cone which needs to expand a bit and loosen up before they play at their best. again from my experience you will find quite a bit of difference after playing it for 10 hours but 10-50 hours doesnt make so much of a difference. perhaps what you can do is ask the guys at the showroom to give you a call after they've played it in for 10 hours or so and then go and give it another listen. if its still bright for your liking then its going to be bright however much you burn it in

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back