Floorstanders as Surrounds ?

I must admit that I haven't read the replies completely. So here goes my stream of thought.

Ideally surround speakers need to be one foot above listening position. Not at ear level..So that rules out floor standers in my opinion. Thought one could theoretically use stands to elivate the floor standers.

If one goes for atmos, then all 5 or 7 speakers as per ones configuration need to be at ear level, so that over head atmos effects are more pronounced. Floor standers as surrounds work best here.

In my room with a 5.1.4 atmos setup, I would anyway prefer floor standers as surrounds if i had the room. Only because they are almost always more effecient than book shelf speakers.

P.s
There's a guy on the forum.selling q acoustic bookshelves with their brackets

I would.consider them as surrounds
If they float your boat

Small matching surrounds suffice for the amount of sound that comes out of them on an atmos track/movie scene. Floorstanders are usually an overkill for surrounds unless you already have a pair lying around in which case you can use them with lowered volume levels in speaker config. Just my two cents :)

I recently purchased a wharfdale dipole for surround. Tiny speakers compared to floorstanders. But the illusion of impact that it creates with my 15 inch sub in the mix is extraordinary. My take on the matter, get a good sub and a decent surround. It will not be found lacking.

Single PB3000 would be ideal for a 200sqft room but that earthquake box is expensive af. More than raw wattage, it is the placement of the SW that matters most. Try to get a demo the PB or SB 2000 and above in a similar sized room, and then decide over it.

Yeah i know PB 3000 is very expensive.
Also, i dont know if a 18*12 room is enough for dual subs but right now im just looking for a single sub. PB 2000 is around a lakh i think and budget is, hmm stretchable. If its costly enough i dont have problem waiting but is the performance difference between PB 2000 and 3000 much ? Coz the price difference is huge.

Yeah i know PB 3000 is very expensive.
Also, i dont know if a 18*12 room is enough for dual subs but right now im just looking for a single sub. PB 2000 is around a lakh i think and budget is, hmm stretchable. If its costly enough i dont have problem waiting but is the performance difference between PB 2000 and 3000 much ? Coz the price difference is huge.
18*12 is more then enough for a dual sub. You will get an even, tight and smooth bass response. In my experience dual sub is the way to go if you want tight and clean bass. And since you said 1L and stretchable I am guessing you are planning for 1-1.3 lakh. Dual xtz10.17 or the dual pb1000. Economic route will be the dual bic pl200-II. If space is not an issue I would strongly advise that you consider dual subs. If only single sub for a budget of 1L you have a lot of options. Xtz edge, pb2000, rythmik etc

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back