Foo Fighters Vinyl

legin

Hi
Has anybody had a problem with the Foo Fighters vinyl Wasting Light as the vocals sound off while the instrumentation is perfect

If the CD has vocal where you find it missing in the LP, then it could be a pressing problem. Please compare first and if you can confirm it, ask for replacement. Hopefully the replacement should be fine. I was also tempted to pick up this on record.

On a connected note, my LP copy of John Mayer's Battle Studies sounds really bad (bought new). A friend's (who also bought new) is perfectly fine.

Hi
Has anybody had a problem with the Foo Fighters vinyl Wasting Light as the vocals sound off while the instrumentation is perfect

I think he means the vocals sound off pitch when compared to the instruments, not missing vocal tracks.

Are you sure you have the TT in correct pitch? sometimes instruments can be misleading if you use it as a yardstick to set the right pitch

So figured out the problem
The Vinyl plays at a 45 RPM speed and it is not mentioned on the Sleeve as the size is a 33 1/3 RPM.

its a pressing problem

So figured out the problem
The Vinyl plays at a 45 RPM speed and it is not mentioned on the Sleeve as the size is a 33 1/3 RPM.

its a pressing problem

When played at 45 rpm is it sounding normal?

Hi Legin,

It won't affect your vinyl or cartridge but a 45 RPM record played at 33 should have sounded slower to you, instruments, voices, everything! It was a childhood fun trick of many to play 33 discs occasionally for a few seconds at 45 for the squeaky voices hehe.

Regards

That album is pressed at 45 rpm. There are several 12" records that play at 45 rpm. It is not unusual to have these. The fact that they did not print on the label that it is a 45rpm is misleading, but could also be the Foo Fighters way of confusing the fans :p

Don't worry, this is a normal record. I have several 12"s that are 45 rpm, and I also have a few 7"s that are at 33 1/3. I even have one 7" that can be played at BOTH 33 1/3 and 45 rpm!

Hi Stevieboy
the 331/3 is pressed at a 45 speed

If it sounds right at 45 rpm, then it may have been mislabelled as 33-1/3 (I am assuming it is labelled as 33-1/3 rpm). Please play at 45 and enjoy the Fighters. By the way, 45 rpm pressings are considered by many to be superior to 33. And much rarer too. And your cartridge will in no way get damaged for playing 45 rpm record. 78 rpms use a cartridge different than 33/45 ones.

Bit surprised to note that you played a 45 rpm disc at 33 1/3 rpm and only found the vocals to be odd. Ideally the vocals would have sounded like the guy was singing in his sleep (if not in his grave) and the instrumentation would have sounded like you're listening to it through a time-warp machine :)

On a more serious note. The size of the disc and the speed need not be always equated. Metallica for example is re-releasing most of its classics on 12inch vinyl, at both speeds. The only thing is, if you buy say, the Black Album (33 rpm version), you'll get the album on a single disc for $20. If you buy the 45rpm version, you'll get the album on 4 discs at around $45.

When you look online and see the same album selling for under $20 and over $40 as well, you can be sure that this is likely to be the case.

Remember, as with Open Reel decks, the higher the speed, the better the fidelity. Hence audiophile pressings are generally on 45rpm. Same microgrooves, hence no impact on the stylus or cartridge. Same is not the case with the old brittle 78rpm discs. They would need a stylus and cartridge suitable to taking the raw stress.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back