For local files: Media PC vs Streaming device vs (well, not) Streaming services

Absolutely, and I really don't mind the initial set up time.

Didn't know this! that's a huge positive.

currently running plex the PC as the server and the plex app on tv for playback over wifi.
What are the advantages of adding the Shield Pro in the chain?

Thanks a lot, Sumanth.
Plex sever is built into Shield pro. This is a huge advantage.

You can install FreeNAS on a PC with good storage.

Ya, even on the browser.
The real bummer was when I noticed both YT and Lionsgate cropping it the same way.
(For others who might wonder what the bruhaha is all about:
In the second Sicario movie, there is a fleeting shot inside a helicopter.
The cockpit looks truly three-dimensional and places the viewer inside it in widescreen.
On both YT and Lionsgate, it looks like a flat two-dimensional thing and there is no sense of immersion whatsoever)

From what I have read, it's got to do with standardisation of home media, where every service provider just auto-crops it to fit-fill 16:9 screens.
Apparently, even physical disc releases suffer from the same problem.

If the physical disc also has the same version, where did you see the other version?

If the physical disc also has the same version, where did you see the other version?
In a hall at the time of its release.

And even among physical discs, the readily available versions are 16:9.
Most companies release a 'wide-screen' disc separately, though of late, they have started accommodating different aspect ratios and audio formats, etc in the same disc, like you mentioned.

In a hall at the time of its release.

And even among physical discs, the readily available versions are 16:9.
Most companies release a 'wide-screen' disc separately, though of late, they have started accommodating different aspect ratios and audio formats, etc in the same disc, like you mentioned.

What aspect ratio was the other version? What is the time stamp of this scene?

Edit: Are you sure it is just the aspect ratio you wish to fix? You mention a hall so the image size was much larger so I wonder if this issue could not be solved by a larger screen? Image size is very important for immersion.

What aspect ratio was the other version? What is the time stamp of this scene?
Try some 10 seconds from 01:34 (the cockpit issue i mentioned in an earlier post)
And maybe another 10 seconds from 03:45 onwards (a panning nightvision camera shot)
In YT and Lionsgate, the first shot is robbed of its dimensions, and the second loses the effect of a huge swathe of land being scanned.

Edit: Are you sure it is just the aspect ratio you wish to fix? You mention a hall so the image size was much larger so I wonder if this issue could not be solved by a larger screen? Image size is very important for immersion.
No, no. This is a specific instance of mindless cropping by the streamer taking away the intended effect :(

Try some 10 seconds from 01:34 (the cockpit issue i mentioned in an earlier post)
And maybe another 10 seconds from 03:45 onwards (a panning nightvision camera shot)
In YT and Lionsgate, the first shot is robbed of its dimensions, and the second loses the effect of a huge swathe of land being scanned.

No, no. This is a specific instance of mindless cropping by the streamer taking away the intended effect :(

Do you have a screenshot comparing the 2 versions? What are the aspect ratios?

Do you have a screenshot comparing the 2 versions? What are the aspect ratios?
Here goes:
Streamer pic quality may be poor cos i had to take a photo of the screen, as [rime doesn't allow screenshots

Attachments

• streamer.jpg
    streamer.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 23
To the opening thread , I’m completely biased towards local files as opposed to streaming. None of the OTT platforms available in India offer a good selection of films beyond the usual contemporary commercial type. MUBI is the only exception but still isn’t as good as Criterion Channel which hasn’t launched in the country. 90% of my viewing choices lie with classic American & foreign cinema from the 1940s - 1980s (apart from classic Indian films of course ) - and I had to rely on both private and public trackers to get the stuff I wanted , now scattered randomly across 7 TB of storage. In two decades 2 hdds have died on me though.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Recently set up noob here, and I got a jolt when a subscribed service just wouldn't play the full screen.
Deets here:

As the above thread shows, it is quite a common thing, apparently...

Otherwise, so far, I have been very happy with streaming services, without a device, when it comes to their new content and the reproduction. So, mostly, will keep the subscriptions going for a while.

But, I do have a lot of local files that are more valuable than the day-to-day content. For these, which will be a totally immersive watch, will a separate media PC work better or a streaming device like the Shield?

More details:
1. Plex as server,
2. Will soon hardwire the internet connection to the TV,
3. Current Comp specs: 16B RAM, i7-8550U, W10, and
4. No gaming requirement.
You could try even a cheaper option. Raspberry pi4 with 2/4 gb ram and plex(ubuntu version) directly installed on it. Just connect a hard drive to it and you are good to go.

You could try even a cheaper option. Raspberry pi4 with 2/4 gb ram and plex(ubuntu version) directly installed on it. Just connect a hard drive to it and you are good to go.
This is exactly what I've in my setup now (RPI4B 8GB +1TB SSD) + Libreelec/Kodi. Runs all kind of local files.
But, I believe @k-pad already has a better configuration PC. He can just make that PC quiet and use it as HTPC. He can add Kodi / Plex. Given the flexibility Kodi offers, I'm inclined towards kodi. It can act as a DLNA/upnp renderer or media server or both.
You can also use the same as streamer! Kore(KodiRemote ) on smart phone completes the setup.

This is exactly what I've in my setup now (RPI4B 8GB +1TB SSD) + Libreelec/Kodi. Runs all kind of local files.
But, I believe @k-pad already has a better configuration PC. He can just make that PC quiet and use it as HTPC. He can add Kodi / Plex. Given the flexibility Kodi offers, I'm inclined towards kodi. It can act as a DLNA/upnp renderer or media server or both.
You can also use the same as streamer! Kore(KodiRemote ) on smart phone completes the setup.
Dunno better, but still working really well for me, barring the noise when Plex is playing on TV.
Which I have now mitigated using a cloth cover <hides face>

Back