Found a sad looking Philips Hi Q International Record Player

Vinod.R

Hello Vinyl friends,

Found a very sad looking Record Player at my local rubbish/raddi wala shop!!!

Look at the pictures! How callous.....

If any one is game for restoring this one, I will buy it off and you can take over from there.

What is the price I should pay for something like this?

Vinod

Last edited:
Phew...that's a murdered TT. By the looks of it, I don't think it is worth restoring. You rather pick up a TT in the range of 3-4k which will be ready to play.

But what one can do is use that for Record cleaning purposes only IMHO.

thats the Philips 242, electronic brain belt drive TT

This looks like it was lying in somebody's store room or loft and was sold to the scrap shop. Take it only if he gives it to you for free. Any idea if the platter spins? Restoration is not impossible but may cost you something. May be practical to just go ahead and buy another TT.

Oh I forgot to mention, I have a AF 834 Philips TT, so this is not for me.

Just felt so sad looking at this TT, that I felt that I just had to post, in case someone thinks it is worth it.

Yes, the platter spins. I had a go at it and also the lowering lever works, the tone arm seems to come down when you push the switch down. No cartridge at all, the unit is there but the needle is broken off!.

Last edited:
Truly sad to see a TT in this battered condition. It's hardly worth any money. Try to score it for free, at the most a couple of hundreds as a consolation...nothing more than that. If you get it, then you may try to go for a restoration job, but will be costly.

Thank you all. Still looking for someone who is a good restorer. This is way beyond me.

I have asked the chap to retain the TT for some more time so that a decision can be made.

I have asked the chap to retain the TT for some more time so that a decision can be made.

You are increasing the expectations (& probably the price) of the TT this way:D. If you like it, pay a couple of hundreds at the max and pick it up. May be the parts of the TT can salvage some other TTs:)

I would have restored it Vinod. But it's not worth trying to restore it. BTW,a well maintained Philips 242 is not a TT to be taken lightly. I have sold several of them and some of them sound really nice

I would have restored it Vinod. But it's not worth trying to restore it. BTW,a well maintained Philips 242 is not a TT to be taken lightly. I have sold several of them and some of them sound really nice

Thank you sir. I am not really sure about the restore bit. :)

I just thought I would post it off and see if someone who is really into TT restoration is interested, so that one more TT can be saved.

Me personally no. As you have seen at my place, it is not conducive to do the resurrection of such a TT. (In fact I am hardly able to play my existing TT at all!).

I can do this one, again but time is a constraint. If I can get this for little or nothing, can pull it off. Personally I hate belt drives of any kind, getting these replacement belts can be a nightmare.

I can do this one, again but time is a constraint. If I can get this for little or nothing, can pull it off. Personally I hate belt drives of any kind, getting these replacement belts can be a nightmare.

Hello Reubensm,

Let me see what I can get it for. Maybe Rs 50-100 or so.

Vinod

Anyway to close the story of this record player, he wanted Rs 1,000 for it as he "claimed" it was a "PURATANA VASTU" (Old things) which I am sure mallus would be able to understand. I had offered him Rs 50/- before and he had refused. :) He later told me that he had sold this player for Rs 5,000!!!!!

ANYWAY THE NEW STORY IS HE HAS ANOTHER RECORD PLAYER, IT IS A GERRAD AT60 AND HE IS ASKING RS 5,000 FOR IT. HE SAYS ONLY THE MOTOR IS THERE. ANY TAKERS?

Anyway to close the story of this record player, he wanted Rs 1,000 for it as he "claimed" it was a "PURATANA VASTU" (Old things) which I am sure mallus would be able to understand. I had offered him Rs 50/- before and he had refused. :) He later told me that he had sold this player for Rs 5,000!!!!!

ANYWAY THE NEW STORY IS HE HAS ANOTHER RECORD PLAYER, IT IS A GERRAD AT60 AND HE IS ASKING RS 5,000 FOR IT. HE SAYS ONLY THE MOTOR IS THERE. ANY TAKERS?

my advise is to stay away from this guy, don't even waste your time speaking with him :)

Avoid the guy like plague and let him keep selling the junk for whatever he gets. That Philips player was something that I won't take even for free. He is into his lovely dreamworld and let us not disturb him by waking him up:D

my advise is to stay away from this guy, don't even waste your time speaking with him :)

Correct. I would like to kick him too, but as said, let us not disturb him.

Avoid the guy like plague and let him keep selling the junk for whatever he gets. That Philips player was something that I won't take even for free. He is into his lovely dreamworld and let us not disturb him by waking him up:D

Correct. I would like to kick him too, but as said, let us not disturb him.

Thanks Saket. I will do just as Reubensm and you have suggested. May be the mod can close this thread off?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back