Front and center speakers - for my existing setup

ece2k2

Hi,

I have a Denon AVR-1601 receiver (70W per channel) and am planning to purchase the front & center speakers.

I already have a pair of bookshelf speakers (cambridge soundworks Newton M50), which would be used as rear speakers. I also own an old Yamaha subwoofer.

Though my living room size is pretty small, I would like to opt for Floorstanding speakers to make them future proof.

I am based out of Coimbatore and I don't have an opportunity to do an audition of multiple brands to come to a conclusion. All I have is a ProFx store out here AFAIK. So, the only option is to purchase a good set of speakers from bigger cities and get them shipped to me.

My usage would be 50% movies + 25% music + 25% DTH. I am looking at the following options right now:

1. Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanding speakers + Mercury VC center
2. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 + Sonodyne Sonus C2401 center (a few posts in this forum say that the Sonus C2401 doesn't deliver clear vocals though).
3. Boston Acoustics A 360 (Not sure which center should I go for)

Is the Tannoy Mercury Center speaker much better than Sonodyne Sonus center?

Also, please suggest if there is any other better option in this price range.

Thanks,
KB.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a Denon AVR-1601 receiver (70W per channel) and am planning to purchase the front & center speakers.

I already have a pair of bookshelf speakers (cambridge soundworks Newton M50), which would be used as rear speakers. I also own an old Yamaha subwoofer.

Though my living room size is pretty small, I would like to opt for Floorstanding speakers to make them future proof.

I am based out of Coimbatore and I don't have an opportunity to do an audition of multiple brands to come to a conclusion. All I have is a ProFx store out here AFAIK. So, the only option is to purchase a good set of speakers from bigger cities and get them shipped to me.

My usage would be 50% movies + 25% music + 25% DTH. I am looking at the following options right now:

1. Tannoy Mercury V4 floorstanding speakers + Mercury VC center
2. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 + Sonodyne Sonus C2401 center (a few posts in this forum say that the Sonus C2401 doesn't deliver clear vocals though).
3. Boston Acoustics A 360 (Not sure which center should I go for)

Is the Tannoy Mercury Center speaker much better than Sonodyne Sonus center?

Also, please suggest if there is any other better option in this price range.

Thanks,
KB.

Your amplifier looks under-powered for towers.. Don't risk buying the towers as it may get damaged..

You didn't mention the combined budget for the towers & center speaker....

Sonodyne Sonus C2401 center speaker is good speaker, provided you match it with correct receiver...

I have matched it with Onkyo/Marantz & found that Sonus C2401 is a better match with Onkyo... Nothing wrong with the speaker..Itz good.

I would suggest you look @ Sonodyne Avant 150 Bookshelf & Avant LCR 250 speakers...

I have had the pleasure of using Avant LCR 250 @ home for more than weeks time & it has been really impressive. Such a brilliant & breath taking speaker.......

Moreover, the sensitivity/efficiency of the Avant 150 & Avant LCR 250 are 90db.....So you wouldn't need more power to bring it to life...

Take your time...Don't rush.....

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back