Front Glass recommendation for Component rack

mittal_v2002

I am getting a custom rack build by a carpenter, that will hold my AVR (Onkyo S3300), BluRay (BDP Sony S370), Tata Sky box and front channel of HTS. A media player to be added later. The top of the rack will be used to put the LCD TV.

I need to put the glass panel on the front of the cabinet to avoid dust into the components and it has to be black (as dark as possible) to go with the room decor.. and it must pass IR rays so that remote of all these devices can work..

I don't have any idea about the specifications of such glass and where should I find that in Pune.. Do such glasses have any ratings wrt to capacity of transmission of IR Rays and other quality parameters ? or any glass would do.. and I am just getting worried for nothing ?

Cheers

Though IR could be affected by certain extent of darkness in the glass, it should work quite well.

Don't use black glass that is near opaque. Other than that anything will work well.

Cheers

Last edited:
AFAIK only sunfilm has the capacity to block IR in the range of 80%+. Never heard about glass treated to do so - if that was the case, automobiles would use them.

cheers

Never heard about glass treated to do so - if that was the case, automobiles would use them.

Automotive Glasses to filter out some amount of IR. Thats why if you buy 60% rejection film, it would show up at 65% or more on meter once its applied on windows.

That gives me an Idea, check if Car remote works from outside (If windows are rolled up). if it does, then OP can use similar glass (with film) for AV rack.

AFAIK only sunfilm has the capacity to block IR in the range of 80%+. Never heard about glass treated to do so - if that was the case, automobiles would use them.

You could be right. Sunfilm is used also to block sunlight and heat. Since IR is infrared, I am guessing a black opaque glass would create some level of obstruction.

Cheers

Seen the dark acrylic covers which comes over the IR LED's on Remotes and before the IR sensors? They are quite dark..dark enough to obscure the IR LED's and sensors and still allows the IR signal to easily pass through...So I guess IR is quite immune to dark shades.

i would not recommend not to put the glass.
1. You should show off your possessions
2. Heat becomes an important factor. Keep it open as far as possible. Provide proper ventilation to your AV components.

it has to be black (as dark as possible) to go with the room decor.
The more dark glass you use more trouble IR Remote will have operating. You can experiment with tinted sunglasses to measure the strength of your remote. Or If you still insist on using dark glass you can incorporate a design element in the glass which will be transparent so IR from remote can reach your AV Gear.

My apologies, but I could not resist a Gobble type statement here.

Frankly all of us seem to be in the dark as to what will really happen behind a dark glass. Hope someone can bring some (infra) light to the OP. :)

Cheers

room can be named as 'fear of the dark ' .. how odd HT rack will look with black front covering all performers inside,it will be like a shoe rack ,with front doors made of dark glass
sr2.jpg

all ordinary tv trollies come with a black glass 'box' for the desired no dust concept

room can be named as 'fear of the dark ' .. how odd HT rack will look with black front covering all performers inside,it will be like a shoe rack ,with front doors made of dark glass
sr2.jpg

all ordinary tv trollies come with a black glass 'box' for the desired no dust concept

hehehe -

the first intelligent post on this thread!:)

IMG_1567.JPG

Thats my wall unit with 6mm dark glass(grey). Behind the "dark" resides Onkyo 606, PS3 Slim and a Phillips DVD player. I have never faced any remote issues so far ranging between 4 to 12 feet distance. I used Philips, Onkyo and Harmony 520 remotes...lets not talk about PS3 contoller..the thing can control my PS3 through walls..bluetooth u see....so go ahead with dark glass..:licklips::eek:hyeah:

you have a point :) .. hehehee...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back