FullHD or just HD for >50"

HTTV

I'm looking to buy a 50" or bigger TV. Currently price performance ratio does not justify anything bigger than 50" in plasma.

Does it really matter if its 720p or 1080p when size is 50" or bigger or if viewing distance is over 15"?

Isn't plasma as good as LCD for a 50"?

Thanks

In the case of LCD TVs the price gets higher at bigger sizes. At bigger sizes plasma is always cheaper.
HD ready and Full HD will definitely make a difference at such screen sizes. However I think that at these screen sizes most if not all TVs will offer Full HD.
As far as performance between plasma and LCD is concerned I can only ask you to go and take a personal demo yourself and decide between the two. Any answer for or against either technology is sure to start a BIG firefight.

I thought @ 50" the Full HD becomes apparent, especially at 5-8 feet range.
I don't think it will be obvious @ 15.

However, Before thinking of full HD, let me ask you, are you planning to watch Full HD content? Because ur cable tv (unless if it is HD) will look a lot worse on Full HD tv, as compared to HD ready televisions.

Also, Game Consoles like Xbox360 and PS3 normally runs games at 720p (With a few exceptions ofcourse). Only format that takes full advantage of Full HD is Blu Ray (or Blu Ray rips at 1080p).
What came as surprise to me is that, though My PS3 runs at 1080p, when displaying menus, all the games I have tried so far goes down to 720p while the games are running. BluRay on the other hand, will remain at 1080p.

So unless u r a movie buff, with Blu Ray player, and/or someone with lots of 1080p HD rips, Full HD is very hard to be taken advantage of.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back