GARRARD 401 / SME 3009 Series II / SME 2000 plinth possible refurbishing and set up help sought in Mumbai

ronniemarker

Hi Guys (and, Gals - hope there ARE a few !):

one of these days (weeks, months), I'd like to embark on a long planned (since the past 2 to 3 years) "project" to revive (I last used it about 4 years ago), possibly refurbish a little (only if called for and required, of course) and properly (correctly) "set-up" my lovely GARRARD 401 tt with SME 3009 Series II arm and place it INTO the lovely (looking) SME 2000 teak plinth from the 1960s that I managed to obtain from England a few years ago. The cartridge that I presently have is a modest but adequate Shure M-55E but at a later stage, I will also re-tip a Shure V-15 Type III that I have in storage when the funds permit.

I am based in South Mumbai (Cumballa Hill area) and will GREATLY appreciate any help / guidance / support from ANYONE who has, in particular, some experience and/or knowledge with the venerable Garrard 401 tt as well as the highly-acclaimed vintage SME 3009 Series II tonearm. I have the constant support of a good audiophile friend and together (the 3 or more ! of us), we could meet up a few weekends and have this superb 1960s tt rig up and running and spinning sweet vinyl sounds soon.

IF you feel able or inclined to help and "assist" in the foreseeable future, PLEASE connect and communicate smoothly and regularly thereafter - I'll be most grateful for that !

As a parting shot - if anyone has the contact info for a music lover / audiophile by the name of Eddie Tauro (resident in North Mumbai) - he had purchased my beloved Thorens TD-160 Super almost 30 years ago and we had kept in touch thereafter somewhat infrequently. A few years ago, I became aware that he himself owns / owned a few vintage Garrards (301, 401) and was technically quite experienced and competent with their set-up, etc. If Eddie himself reads this; or, if anyone of you know him or have his contact, will you please forward the same to me - with his prior consent, of course.

Meanwhile, I apologize for this long "listing" - thank you for your patience while reading it - and, should any of you care to reply / respond AND be willing to "lend a hand" and assist with my endeavour and journey to revive and set up my Garrard 401 / SME 3000 Series II combo, you already have a BIG Thank You from me !

Please stay safe and take care and always, always enjoy the music !

Best wishes,

Ronnie K. Marker
Mumbai, INDIA

Wow ! who listens to vinyls these days. We have all switched to High resolution digital Downloads. Besides these, old mechanical machines called Garrards are too much hastle.
As I am very much kind hearted, environmentally conscious person let me dispose these old electronics safely....... in my home.
just kidding. :)

Is the idler wheel rubber soft ? basic first steps would be Just clean the bearing and oil it. Which should be easy. one or two drops of oil in idler wheel bushings and probably motor. Then spin it. This will give you basic idea which needs to be taken care of. No long duration plays during this. Next steps would be by pros (I hope they will join in soon). That would be probably be cleaning the motor and lubricate it. Probably new spindle bearing and idler wheel (The two most important part in idler wheel turntable). I would not touch the tonearm bearing as it would be delicate. Next would be aesthetics.
All the best. :)
Regards.

Hi Guys (and, Gals - hope there ARE a few !):

one of these days (weeks, months), I'd like to embark on a long planned (since the past 2 to 3 years) "project" to revive (I last used it about 4 years ago), possibly refurbish a little (only if called for and required, of course) and properly (correctly) "set-up" my lovely GARRARD 401 tt with SME 3009 Series II arm and place it INTO the lovely (looking) SME 2000 teak plinth from the 1960s that I managed to obtain from England a few years ago. The cartridge that I presently have is a modest but adequate Shure M-55E but at a later stage, I will also re-tip a Shure V-15 Type III that I have in storage when the funds permit.

I am based in South Mumbai (Cumballa Hill area) and will GREATLY appreciate any help / guidance / support from ANYONE who has, in particular, some experience and/or knowledge with the venerable Garrard 401 tt as well as the highly-acclaimed vintage SME 3009 Series II tonearm. I have the constant support of a good audiophile friend and together (the 3 or more ! of us), we could meet up a few weekends and have this superb 1960s tt rig up and running and spinning sweet vinyl sounds soon.

IF you feel able or inclined to help and "assist" in the foreseeable future, PLEASE connect and communicate smoothly and regularly thereafter - I'll be most grateful for that !

As a parting shot - if anyone has the contact info for a music lover / audiophile by the name of Eddie Tauro (resident in North Mumbai) - he had purchased my beloved Thorens TD-160 Super almost 30 years ago and we had kept in touch thereafter somewhat infrequently. A few years ago, I became aware that he himself owns / owned a few vintage Garrards (301, 401) and was technically quite experienced and competent with their set-up, etc. If Eddie himself reads this; or, if anyone of you know him or have his contact, will you please forward the same to me - with his prior consent, of course.

Meanwhile, I apologize for this long "listing" - thank you for your patience while reading it - and, should any of you care to reply / respond AND be willing to "lend a hand" and assist with my endeavour and journey to revive and set up my Garrard 401 / SME 3000 Series II combo, you already have a BIG Thank You from me !

Please stay safe and take care and always, always enjoy the music !

Best wishes,

Ronnie K. Marker
Mumbai, INDIA

Reach out to FM "Shafic".....he is quite experienced and knowledgeable around TTs.

Wow, I am going to be a keen watcher, I am going to spend some time with my Garrards. After having used direct drives for a longish period of time, have come to the conclusion that its these 2 Garrards, the 301 and 401, that play my music, the way I want to hear it :) All the very best for the restoration. Please share info as much as possible, with photographs. Regards.

Hello, I also have Garrard 301.
As Mr. Hiten mentioned, some of item required restoration/checking/maintenance such as spindle, idler and motor.
Especially, most of Garrard spindle need to replace. Please open and check.
I recently discussed with Mr. ali at Sound foundation, and he said he may make a new base housing of spindle with ceramic ball.
If some of people interest, I will try do discuss with him. Regards,

Mr. Ronnie also do give us updates, the restoration process and pictures if possible. This will help many members.
Regards.

I recently discussed with Mr. ali at Sound foundation, and he said he may make a new base housing of spindle with ceramic ball.
Ali does excellent job of everything. As seen from his work in the past.
-x-x-x-
I dont own a garrard so cant not tell very convincingly. Also dont know what type of bearing it has. And you all may probably know strict requirement of spindle and bearing. But am posting nonetheless. The bearing should be of tight tolerance. The sintered bronze sleeve should not be machined because machining plugs the holes in it. We want as much long life lubrication as possible. Ready made high quality cast sleeve/bushing may be a good idea. The spindle shaft should be extremely tight tolerance the perfect round shape doesn't matter but it will help. The experienced lathe operator will make adjustment for lapping. So after lapping the OD and ID comes to the requirement. (There is very very very small difference in OD and ID. I had read some figures about Thorens TD24 somewhere but now I cant recall). Lapping is very very important for good spindle noise figures. Choose the proper oil. It should not harden after use.
Also as an afterthought I am advising to keep the original bearing if it is not worn. Garrards had kept high standard for radio stations where this machines were kept running for days. That tells us about the durability of 'original' bearing. Also the motor was overbuilt for voltage fluctuation. So I would recommend to first visually check the bearing surface.
Regards.

The most significant improvement to a Garrard 301 and 401 I have experienced is to get its motor completely overhauled. To be dismantled relubed and used. It needs some expertise and caution. The metal used I believe is cadmium and carcigenous. Gloves may be needed to do this. But properly done makes the motor very silent. After all, these machines were made in the 60's and you can't expect a motor to perform consistently after almost 50 years

The op also has a pair of tannoy monitor gold for sale for close to 5 lacs if anyone is interested

Would have been nice of the updates. Lots of threads with loose ends. Though I am not experienced feels like being 'ignored'.
Any way... life goes on. Will listen to some ZZ Top music. :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back