Garrard 40B changer extremely high pickup problem

I have a Garrard 40B changer turntable in extremely good condition. It consists of a EEI Stereo cartridge. It is connected to Sonodyne SCR-2061 Phono CER input. Everything is fine & the music plays well, but the problem is that the pickup is very abnormal. Along with the music, it produces (picks up) the mechanical sound of the pulley & gear spinning inside which is very distracting & disturbing.

What might be the cause & probable solution?

Last edited:
Hi. All classic record changers having an idler pulley drive system and race(?ball bearings around the centre spindle) will have some noise and rumble. You can alleviate the problem but not entirely eliminate it . A a first step remove the platter, which will expose 1. the bearings 2. the rubber idler and 3. the alloy cam. Read the owners manual first and I assume you have some mechanical inclination, if not, then do go to a service engineer in your town. Check the idler for flat spots and clean both the idler and platter inner. Lubricate the shaft on which idler rotates. Clean and lubricate the bearing ensuring correct order of fitment. Also remove and lubricate the cam, remembering that it may be bit fiddly to fit back. Lubricate the motor top and bottom bearing. I am giving the advise based on self maintenance of my three ordinary Garrards including a 2025 ( similar to 40b but with a different arm)which are now in careful storage as age and laziness is cutting in. A point here is that idlers get old and hard which contributes further to the rumble. Another point is that the tiny ‘locking washers’ have to be pried out very carefully, as they fly off into outer space and are never found! Ask me how I know. After doing all of above hear if there is any improvement. Your stylus is in good condition I hope , as sapphire styli coupled with high tracking weights do have to be changed more frequently.

Last edited:
Maintenance of Garrard turntables is generally quite easy, but the key word is routine. Of course, when you use a changer, one cannot really achieve audiophile grade results as one would expect from a 301 or 401 as there are so many moving mechanical parts. However, having made that honest statement, the truth is that you can achieve very listenable results. For Garrard connoisseurs who know their tables, the 40B shares many design elements with the SP25 MK3. To start with, with the platter turning (not while playing a record), rest your ear on the side of side of the top plate near the idler wheel area and listen carefully. You will have to diagnose what is contributing to the noise. In most Garrad changers that I have come across, the noisy elements are:

(1) the motor, either because the mounting rubber grommets have perished, or the motor lube has dried up. If this is the case, the rubber grommets will need to be replaced which is easily available. if the motor is noisy, it will have to be opened up, cleaned and lubed (especially the motor bearings and oil well)
(2) the idler rubber wheels in changers are under greater stress when compared to regular idler driver turntables. This is as the idler has the additional load of having to power the auto mechanism as well. Over years, the rubber hardens causing the idler wheel to become noisy when in contact with the platter's inner ring. If the idler rubber is brittle or powdery, its time to replace it. Also clean the inner rim of the platter
(3) older Garrard turntables were mounted on dampening springs. The transit screws should not be tightened. Tightening the transit screws results in a compressed spring mount and a noisier turntable
(4) the rest is all about lubing and greasing, when doing so always use a simple formula - if anything is rotating on a shaft, use lubricating machine oil, when 2 metal plates are moving over one another, use good quality silicon grease application, after properly clearing the dried-up grease. The platter bearings should always be kept well lubed.
(5) rumble can be reduced further if you mount the deck on a good plinth which is heavy and has vibration absorption characteristics. However, making these multi-layered plinths for record changers is not easy given the mechanicals under the top plate.
(6) if hearing thuds when the turntable is turned on and off, clean the switch contacts and check the existing spark capacitor. Add a capacitor it there isn't one in use.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back