Geek Out - DAC review

matbhuvi

Last year, i came across a campaign in kickstarter for an USB audio DAC from the makers of Da Vinci DAC. The light harmonic's Da Vinci is a $10K dac and they promised to bring the best practices from that to the tiny little fellow. It created quite a buzz. As i was in market for a better affordable + portable DAC, this looked like a juicy fruit to me. I was eyeing to get the DragonFly for quite sometime. I believe the dragonfly was upper of $250 at that time. It is a well received, reviewed and trusted DAC among many. Geek did get position against Dragon fly with much better spec. Especially promised a much better headphone amp section with Class A amplification.

Dragonfly_vs_Explorer_vs_GEEK.jpg

I decided to back the Geek with the base 450mW. I wasn't sure how they can implement .01%THD with 720mW or 1KmW within such a tiny space. It did look like snake oil spec, didn't it?. The project got funded by several times their original goal of $28K. That prompted them to start additional projects like Geek Pulse, Geek Wave etc. In fact, it created a sour taste as they started new projects before delivering the Geek Out. The juicy fruit looked like sour grapes to me now as the project got delayed by several months. Geek Pulse was funded for more than a million dollars. Geek Wave is also over funded. Coming back to the Geek, it was funded on Sept 2013 with the promise of delivery by Jan 2014. But all i got was updates on progress of development..faulty batches..issues with development etc etc. One fine day in May 2014, i got an email stating they have 720mW Geek available for immediate delivery and they offered it as a free upgrade. I accepted it purely out of anxiety (i waited for 7 months..remember?). Finally i got the product within a week from that email.

pro_view_img2.jpg

As exited as ever on getting a new audiophool product, i plugged in, installed the driver and connected my Fisher Audio FA-011 headphones. My initial expression is :indifferent14:. I am using Asus Xonar STX soundcard for my PC. I have tried so many opamps and finally settled on lme49990. From what i read, Geek also uses the same opamp and the sq is strikingly similar. Quite disappointed that there is no improvement in SQ. It is always difficult to digest when you spend money and effort to get better SQ and you don't get it. The feature that they called "3D awesomifier" sucked big time. It increased the space with apparent drop in mids. It didn't surprise me though. But, people in headfi suggested to wait and try it out after burn in. I think on the first day i listened to music for 5hrs and slept in my computer chair hoping for some miracle.

pro_view_img1.jpg

^^ The image from the product campaign page shows that it has a capacitor. So, i was sure that it requires some burn in and i decided to wait it out. I started to use Geek for all my needs for movies, music, youtube etc etc for the next couple of weeks. No idea how much burn in done by me or by my daughter's cartoon watching spree from youtube.

One fine day, i decided to compare the SQ back again with Xonar STX. I was in for total shock :eek:. The STX sounded muddy and veiled. How the hell?? I did A-B comparison multiple times. Where the Geek shines is in its ability to place different instruments in different positions. It is not just about the staging. The instruments stand distinct from each other. They don't bleed over each other. There is sharp distinction in isolation and placement. The STX managed the placement, but not that isolation. The instruments did bleed over each other causing them comparatively muddy. Besides that, the bass of Geek is full, deep and fast when compared to STX. Granted, my FA-011 is not the best tool to judge on bass. But, it is definitely a better tool than my Shure SE530 to judge bass. Shure can go bit deeper. But, being an iem, it is kind of a bloated bass created under closed area begging for space. The open FA-011 fares far better here. But, it can no where get close to a 12" sub woofer that can go deep and accurate. I am pretty sure, under the laws of physics, none of the headphones can take that place. So, i am yet to judge the limitation of the wonderful bass from the Geek. But, I really really enjoyed Jennifer Warnes - Way down deep..what a sexy bass

Ok..the bass is good. How is the mids. How does it compares to my mid-centric HM-601. I have been ridiculed by many for carrying the brick sized and shaped HM-601 music player. But, i don't care about them just because i love the mids of HM-601. The butterworth filter used there makes the music so so so smooth and adorable. It does have big drop in in frequency response after 10K. In fact, many ridicule the player for not being neutral and extremely mid centric. So be it. I don't care. I just love the vocals coming out of HM-601. To me, vocals are the soul of music. And i get it from my player. I luv listening in that player for hours and hours. Even when i had the complete active setup in my car with Alpine CDA-9887 as the player, i always prefer using HM-601 through aux input. I am so madly in luv with the smooth mids from the player. After using Geek for 3 weeks, i got so used to its signature. But, mind it..i am using HM-601 for 3 - 4 years as my go to source to listen to music. Now, how does it compare. I can just say with a big smile in my face that Geek is better. In what way? Geek's mids is also equally smooth. Might not be as much emphasized as HM-601. But, its ability to portray better instrument separation makes the vocals float on top of the instruments in a magical manner. My headphones does have a V shaped frequency response curve. It sounds quite neutral to me with that. For someone with better setup, it can sound warmer..may be..

What better song than Hotel California to test the overall dynamics. The dominating bass guitar, slamming drums and the sparkling cymbal..everything seems to be perfect for me. The DAC is not shy of airiness. If it can achieve excellent staging means it needs to have the ability showcase the highs accurately. It did exactly that. Hotel California is one of my small collection of high resolution songs. It did portray the very high dynamics present in the 96KHz song flawlessly.

Good representation of Highs does have a drawback. I am a big fan of Ilayaraja and my source of Raja's songs are not of high quality. And this DAC is ruthless in exposing it. Again, my FA-011 also has aggressive high. So, i have to rely on my HiFiMan HM-601 for my Ilayaraja collection.Not a big deal i would say. Because, now the movie watching experience is also super awesome. With the opening of mids after the burn in, the 3D option is also working really nice. Just completed watching Lone Survivor with 3D awesomifier enabled (kiddish naming i would say). With all those bullets fired from all directions, the thundering sounds of the explosions, majestic deep rumbles of the choppers..damn good. I wouldn't mind using this DAC when i don't want to engage my Pioneer elite receiver for movie watching...not at all.

Overall it is quite good for a budget conscious users like me. I don't know how dragonfly or iFi dac. From what i have read, Geek out seems to be better than Dragonfly. iFi with its musical signature, holds on its own it seems. You have to listen to them to decide between them. Especially, DragonFly prices have gone down southwards towards $150 now. But, i would prefer Geek out just because of better and higher amplification stage. Geek does have plenty of clean power to drive the headphones. Many have confirmed that Geek 1000 has no problem in driving LCD-X, LCD-2, HD600 etc. I might add a preamp when i buy my active speakers..the journey continues :)

Nice detailed review.Surely DAC need some time to open.What is the DAC chip in it?I thing PCM1795.

Last edited:
Congrats and a nice review :clapping:

@IndianEars...I hope his Geek is also delivered as I remember he had also went ahead with the same DAC.

What better song than Hotel California ...

:eek:

It was all good up to that point.

:)lol: people who know me know that repeated exposure to this song, which I used to like, has caused me to now scream and run away whenever I hear it! :lol:)

But seriously...

I think this is the first review I have read from someone who actually received something from the Geek guys. As you say, there was a lot of bitterness, and WTF-Just-Deliver-Something-ok? to be found on the net. Some hope of a good product had turned into a lot of bad feeling. So, now they are delivering? It will be interesting to see the reactions.

It is always difficult to digest when you spend money and effort to get better SQ and you don't get it.

It's often happened to me. Sometimes it was actually that I wasted my money, or, at least, spent unnecessarily. Sometimes, at times varying between hours and weeks, I too ended up satisfied or even happy. I think that expectation bias can sometimes be negative. Trust the ears, yes... but brains should be handled with deep suspicion :lol:. Capacitors, cables, speaker cones, etc may or may not burn in, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that brain cells most certainly do.

Good representation of Highs does have a drawback. I am a big fan of Ilayaraja and my source of Raja's songs are not of high quality. And this DAC is ruthless in exposing it.

I have made my desk system as transparent as it is ever, probably, going to get. Yes, even the Blue Jeans re-cabling has added to that. But is transparency what we really want? When listening to some superb recordings, or high-quality digitisation, it is. Detail is wonderful, not only in the highs, which most people associate with detail, but in the deep lows as well, and there is some wonderful stuff, whether it is electric bass in rock or low strings and percussion in classical, way down there, when our systems let us hear it.

But, when we really, really need to hear some song, and all we have is a bad MP3, or even a very worn LP or its digitisation, then transparency can turn musical pleasure into nerve-end sandpapering. There should be a transparency switch!

3D awesomifier... Oh dear, let's rid the world of marketing departments and their language! The ifi guys are just as bad with their Xbass and 3D Holographic switches on my iCAN. But never mind the marketing, the functions are good! Never mind transparent, it is great to be able to boost the bass if the headphones need it, or a particular piece just sounds good that way. The 3D thingy, too, can cut or boost the highs, depending on settings. I'd have been just as happy with tone controls, but hey, I'm not grumbling at what I've got :)

Is the awsome-thingy, like the 3D, another crossfeed implementation? ie a technology that attempts to put the headphone image outside and in front of your head by simulating something of the speaker-listening experience?
... the 3D option is also working really nice. Just completed watching Lone Survivor with 3D awesomifier enabled (kiddish naming i would say). With all those bullets fired from all directions, the thundering sounds of the explosions, majestic deep rumbles of the choppers..damn good. I wouldn't mind using this DAC when i don't want to engage my Pioneer elite receiver for movie watching...not at all.

Wow, I guess that's a yes, then! Not being a movie watcher, I had never thought about how such a facility would work for films. Sounds good.

Somehow, it does affect the tonal balance, and perhaps we have to go to something as horribly expensive as the SPL phonitor (dream, dream :) ) to get something with much more precise control and customisation of the cross-feed effect.
Geek does have plenty of clean power to drive the headphones. Many have confirmed that Geek 1000 has no problem in driving LCD-X, LCD-2, HD600 etc. I might add a preamp when i buy my active speakers..the journey continues

Bear in mind that the active speakers are going to have powerful amplification built in, and will require only a line-level signal. You will not require any pre-amplification. I am using a pre-amp on my desktop, but it is for convenient control of what will become a multi-source desktop hifi system. Actually, it is passive, anyway, and does not provide any gain at all.

Congratulations on the Geek Out. Thank you for your review. Sorry if my reply is a bit here-there-and-everywhere!

Congratulations on the Geek Out. Thank you for your review. Sorry if my reply is a bit here-there-and-everywhere!

Thank you Thad for the detailed response .Hotel California is my go to demo song. I haven't got tired of it yet.

Burn-in is always a controversial topic. As you have put it correctly, it could be more of mental burn in.

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid.

^^ Our mind is sophisticated enough to fill in the gaps. That would require the most burn in time..I agree. But, once it get settled, i am able to see the difference. That's for sure :eek:.

Again, you are right about that i might not need a preamp with an active speaker. But, a good preamp can help in lower volume levels. Also, i am determined to bring in something with tubes into the mix of electronic dungeon :D

Thad said:
I have made my desk system as transparent as it is ever, probably, going to get. Yes, even the Blue Jeans re-cabling has added to that.

GREAT to know that you find cables Do improve sound reproduction. :yahoo:

Again, you are right about that i might not need a preamp with an active speaker. But, a good preamp can help in lower volume levels. Also, i am determined to bring in something with tubes into the mix of electronic dungeon :D

Ahh, you want added flavour!

I'm not against that, I use it myself. My pre-amp has two outputs, one buffered and one straight-through. The straight-through one is very transparent, the buffered one adds a touch of warmth which I find welcome.

Audio flavour is easy to add, and hard to subtract. My theory is that it is best to start without it, then, like seasoning, add it if required.

IndianEars said:
GREAT to know that you find cables Do improve sound reproduction.

:lol:

I have never argued against the idea that not-so-good cables can diminish sound reproduction --- so I went for transparent, and yes, there is a subtle difference. It is not always for the best! Harsh music is harsher.

What did I do? I picked a company whose sales and marketing appears to me to be straightforward, honest, based in simple electrical principles and engineering quality at reasonable cost, rather than pseudo-science, weird claims and exotic ingredients at high cost, and I bought into that. If I was wrong (which I don't believe, of course) then I'm just another person to be had by cable marketing! I put my money where, previously, only my [big] mouth was. ;)

On topic to DACs, any time I am buying a DAC, or cables, I will try for transparency and lack of any flavour. If wanted, that can always be added later in the chain, but, repeating myself, it is much harder to get rid of.

Last edited:
A quick hello to everybody! It's been awhile :)

Good to see HifiVision focusing on off the mainstream DACs like this one. Back to the point, am currently enjoying music off the Geek Out 450 onto the Hifiman HE-400. Two words - Aural pleasure.

Pros:

1) Value for Money
2) Portability
3) An almost liquid soundstage and non-fatiguing signature (although that is probably because of the headphones being used)
4) Some 3D gizmo feature if you are into that (Awesomifier - would you believe that? No, they are not talking to audiophiles :))
5) 2 no's of 3.5 mm outs if you want to share your aural pleasure!

Cons:

1) Very amateurish volume control options. Amateurish can cross over into the realms of absolutely dangerous in case you are using sensitive IEM's.
2) Very insubstantial documentation and user manual.

Thad - will call you soon :) Sorry, it's been long overdue!

Provided an upgrade to the DAC by including Shiity wyrd - USB power isolator. The biggest difference is the noise floor. It is pitch dark now. And boy, i never thought cleaner noise floor adds so much to the music pleasure.

Wyrd-front-1000(1).jpg

I would heartily recommend Shiit wyrd for anyone using USB DAC.

There is hardly much difference between this combo when compared with my Audio-GD NFB10ES DAC. The Sabre DAC chip signature is very well same in both. Audio-GD does have a slightly better stage width and some marginal improvement in instrument separation. But, at several times the cost of Geek out. This Geek out punches well above its weight now.

A new firmware released by LH labs turned of the fancy 3D audio feature and made the buttons to choose between different digital filter. It does have marginal improvement in SQ. The music does sound bit more smooth now.

Here is the quote from LH labs on the improved firmware.

Now with the new 1V5 firmware, your Geek Out has a feature that could change the mode of digital filter and related PLL/ Frequency domain - time domain optimization. One mode we call it "Time Coherent Mode" (TCM), the other mode we call it "Frequency Response Mode" (FRM).... And we assigned the original "Volume up" buttons for TCM and "Volume Down" for FRM. The sound characters demonstrated are quite amazing. In TCM, we involved the new developed Minimum phase digital filter which creates no "pre-ring". In FRM, we involved slow roll-off linear digital filter with other frequency domain optimization so you could even see a nice THD+N improvement there.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back