Getting AVR from US - worth it?

sgajjala

Hi,
I am planning to get AVR from US. The below models are available in costco
Denon AVR-S760H
Onkyo TX-NR6050

Both the models are in the same price range approx. 400$

The only catch in this is both the models are with power source AC 120V. Will need step up a transformer to connect in india.
Is it worth buying a 120V power source AVRs and using them here in India. I remember couple of issues reported in the forum while using the 120V appliances

Let me know so I can take a decision on the same?

My cousin bought Denon AVR-X2700H sometime back from USA and is using it with a Maxine transformer. There is no distortion in the sound and works good. You can also check and see if they have dual voltage AVR's in Denon and Yamaha.

I had carried a Pioneer AVR from the US years ago and had picked up a local step down transformer from SP road to pair. Used for years; no issues. Just ensure that the power handling capacity of the step down transformer is higher (I picked up 2X) than the max power consumption of the AVR. There may be no international warranty for the AVR, though.

Hi,
Denon AVR-S760H
Onkyo TX-NR6050

The only catch in this is both the models are with power source AC 120V. Will need step up a transformer to connect in india.
Is it worth buying a 120V power source AVRs and using them here in India. I remember couple of issues reported in the forum while using the 120V appliances

I am using 2 step down transformers of 1000 watts each of Maxcon (MX) brand. No issues at all

There are plenty of threads on the same..please refer that

Regarding the models go for the Onkyo one ..for 400 ur looking at total cost of below 40K INR incl step down...nothing comes even close.

My pioneer from US is still going strong after 12 years

Hi,
Denon AVR-S760H
Onkyo TX-NR6050

Denon S760 retails at around 70K in India, considering that $400 is a great buy. Go for it if you're ready to take a chance on the warranty and any potential customs clearance complications

Hi,
Denon AVR-S760H
Onkyo TX-NR6050

In my opinion it is the same as buying from the Grey Market in India. No warranty no support. Worse, you need add another component in the power chain to adjust the voltage. I would rather pay a bit more and get one India with the correct voltage.

However, if the deal is really good, then please get one which supports the voltage requirements in India.

MaSh

Thanks for all the suggestions and inputs. Few questions though
1. Will there be any issues in the customs if I decide to bring from US
2. @MaSh , Do you have the contact details of the grey market. Would like to explore the option of buying it if it really worth !

Usually there isn't much issues with customs when bringing in stuff from US. However do carry the invoice. You have a 50k free allowance (assuming u r not getting other stuff). in case u r pulled up u will have to pay customs for the value in excess of 50k.
Expect grey market prices to still be high compared to the deal u r getting.

Usually there isn't much issues with customs when bringing in stuff from US. However do carry the invoice. You have a 50k free allowance (assuming u r not getting other stuff). in case u r pulled up u will have to pay customs for the value in excess of 50k.
Thanks neelay for the info.
What about the reviews of these two models? Are they good
My usage will be 90% for movies and 10% rest. Please suggest the better one out of these two models

I got Denon 760h from Canada and using it with Aulten Step down transformer 1kva. Absolutely no issues. Just make sure the AVR is well protected inside the bag you are getting it in.

Hi, you sure about this? for example i get something with a retail invoice of 80k, if the customs ask me for the invoice & if shown, i have to pay the custom duty of 30k value instead of 80k? Just curious..

Thanks.

Hi, you sure about this? for example i get something with a retail invoice of 80k, if the customs ask me for the invoice & if shown, i have to pay the custom duty of 30k value instead of 80k? Just curious..

Thanks.
You have to pay on 30K (after consuming the exemption amount)
Note that such exemption is not applicable to TVs. They are charged for full value

D
I got Denon 760h from Canada and using it with Aulten Step down transformer 1kva. Absolutely no issues. Just make sure the AVR is well protected inside the bag you are getting it in.
Do you have the Aulten Model? Bit confusion, whether to go with Aulten or Maxine.

Anyone facing below issue? I need help.
I have got an Aulten Step Down Transformer to connect my AVR (which I got from Canada). This transformer switches off whenever there is high voltage (260V). I have been having 260V+ quite often in my house and the AVR switches off way too often (happens mostly at night post 8PM).

What should I do? Is there any device which can be used to keep the voltage below 260V? Is there any other work around?

I have got an Aulten Step Down Transformer to connect my AVR (which I got from Canada). This transformer switches off whenever there is high voltage (260V). I have been having 260V+ quite often in my house and the AVR switches off way too often (happens mostly at night post 8PM).

What should I do? Is there any device which can be used to keep the voltage below 260V? Is there any other work around?
This step-down transformer has high and low cut-off feature, which act as safety mechanisms for the appliances connected to it. It is not possible to bypass it. 260V is high for other household equipment as well. To correct the voltage to about 230V for the entire household, you can either install a 5KVA stabilizer in the mains or put a smaller one before this step-down transformer. However, ensure that the stabilizer you choose has a high cut-off of about 280-300V

This step-down transformer has high and low cut-off feature, which act as safety mechanisms for the appliances connected to it. It is not possible to bypass it. 260V is high for other household equipment as well. To correct the voltage to about 230V for the entire household, you can either install a 5KVA stabilizer in the mains or put a smaller one before this step-down transformer. However, ensure that the stabilizer you choose has a high cut-off of about 280-300V

I think this makes sense @Onri I am sure those who stay in locations where there are fluctuations in power supply can share their experiences and guidance.

I bought below cheap voltage stabiliser which solved my issue for good.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back