Good looking BOOMBOXES (tape recorders) of 80's

Wow that's a really nice looking tape deck. Did it have auto reverse? Any other special features?

@ SHINE

This one did not have auto reverse but had auto stop.

The great feature of this model was "AUTOMATIC MUSIC SENSING SYSTEM"
With this feature you could program up to 3 songs. So if do not want to play song no-2,3,4 and want to play song no -5 after first song you could easily do it with the help of single button. This was possible because the deck would detect the 4 seconds of blank space between each song.

You need not do trail and error to locate your favorite song just like ordinary tape recorder. THIS IS AMAZING considering this is made in 1982. Hats off to Japanese brains.

If the gap between songs is very less say 1 second, then deck was not detecting the songs.

This was working perfectly till recently. This is MADE IN JAPAN tape recorder bought from Singapore by my dad in 1982. I was listening BoneyM, Yazoo, MJ on this one when I was kid.

"Situation" by Yazoo is still my favourite song.

Hi,

Here's another SHARP made GF-9191, I had this for a while after restoration and sounded very good, had Phono input and have converted many vinyls to Tape.:licklips:

N.Murali

Last edited:
Please please check following..
Pocket Calculator's Vintage Boombox and Ghetto Blaster Museum

Boombox lovers will cry with Joy!

From the same site
Precisely when the term was coined we're not sure. Department stores such as Sears and K-Mart began used it in their marketing as early as 1983. Merriam-Webster pins it at 1981, and defines the boom box as "a large portable radio and often tape player with two attached speakers". Initially, it became identified with a certain group of society, hence adopting epithetic nicknames, like ghetto blaster, and jam box. But as the masses began to embrace this assemblage of electronics gadgets as an indespensible form of portable entertainment, it became an icon of popular culture, and we've yet to let go. Your hosts of Pocket Calculator Show endeavor here to provide a retrospective, including as many photos, facts and accounts as we can provide, during your tour of the Vintage Boombox Museum.

I simply ogle at this!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Boombox playing vinyl!

@ SHINE

With this feature you could program up to 3 songs. So if do not want to play song no-2,3,4 and want to play song no -5 after first song you could easily do it with the help of single button. This was possible because the deck would detect the 4 seconds of blank space between each song.

You need not do trail and error to locate your favorite song just like ordinary tape recorder. THIS IS AMAZING considering this is made in 1982. Hats off to Japanese brains.

Yeah. This is a great feature. I am still using this & more facility in my sony car tape.:clapping: Its 10 years old and still working on every cassette. thats why do not feel to upgrade. not to mention its also japan made.

My uncle owned this unique SHARP tape recorder with built in music synthesizer!
That was brilliant. I still remember playing with the synthesizer when I used to visit his home on holidays. The cord for synthesizer was short so we could not take it much away from the main unit.

It had fast dubbing feature where you could copy full cassettes in less time.

Attachments

• au1.jpg
    au1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 135
  • au2.jpg
    au2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 133
  • au3.jpg
    au3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 133
  • au4.jpg
    au4.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 133
@ SHINE

This one did not have auto reverse but had auto stop.

If the gap between songs is very less say 1 second, then deck was not detecting the songs.

This was working perfectly till recently. This is MADE IN JAPAN tape recorder bought from Singapore by my dad in 1982. I was listening BoneyM, Yazoo, MJ on this one when I was kid.

"Situation" by Yazoo is still my favourite song.

Wow, amazing days they were. I have never liked the later generation Boomboxes. The earlier vintage models were just so classy and macho. I have spent my whole of childhood with this amazing machine:

AKAI AJ-520 Boomboxes |

This one had the same feature as mentioned above by Bobby, but it could sense upto 10 tracks. So you could listen to Track 1 and then straight away jump to track 10 (if the cassette had that many songs on one side). It was amazing at recording as well as playback. Those akai tweeters had such an analog treble:licklips:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back