Gool digital coaxial cable.

sanjivg

This seems to be an obvious topic and may have been discussed earlier, but my search on this forum did not yield answers to my questions.

Why do we need expensive digital coaxial cable? IMO, any 75 ohm cable should do. Even we could use the RCA video cable (yellow one). I feel that even the red and white RCA cables would again be 75 ohms.

If people differ, what is the best digital coaxial cable within 1000 Rs.?
I need to connect the digital coax of my DVDP to AVR.

This seems to be an obvious topic and may have been discussed earlier, but my search on this forum did not yield answers to my questions.

I had looked at it, but the thread doesn't answer to why not any 75 ohm cable?

Sanjiv, members here give advice based on their own experience. You are welcome to disagree. The best for you to do is to get the most inexpensive 75 ohms cable and try it for yourself. Maybe we could all gain from your experimentation.

Cheers

Thank you Mr. Venkat. I currently use the analog RCA cables that were supplied with my DVDP and they work just fine for me. I was wondering if people had tried that and found it really poor.

Thank you Mr. Venkat. I currently use the analog RCA cables that were supplied with my DVDP and they work just fine for me. I was wondering if people had tried that and found it really poor.

It depends.
A digital coaxial cable carries all data from one point to another including the clock signal. In a home theater set-up (like you have) between DVDP and AVR, it carries the 5.1 audio which itself is compressed and it does not matter much whether you use a Rs1000 cable or Rs100,000 cable unless your processor/preamplifier/receiver/power amplifier/speakers are at a high resolution level. In good HT systems, a good cable can indeed give better sound in all channels closer to cinema theater experience. In budget systems, expensive cables are waste of money.
However, in stereo for music, it is a different ball game, especially when you use the cable between a digital transport and DAC. A cable with better metallurgy, geometry, shielding and bandwidth makes a world of difference in a good system. An additional aspect to consider here is the so-called jitter.

Trust this helps.

murali

Thanks. It does help.

Mine is a low-end setup with Onkyo SR-508 setup with 2 Polk Tsi 200 speakers. I mainly use it for music. I spent 38K on it. I guess it deserves a better digital cable and spending another 1K should make sense.

My experience ---
I use digital coaxial cable between DVDP and HT processor (only for movies). Initially I was using a VdH cable but later changed to Stereovox which cost less than the VdH. There is no doubt in my mind that the Stereovox is better despite it looking much thinner.

As I said, what matters is inside the cable - the quality of copper, insulation, shielding, geometry etc etc.

To complete the story, I bought an HDMI cable of Monster in by "budget" set-up here which, in spite of costing more, makes no difference to picture or sound quality relative to stock cable.

I am totally against evaluating something based on price. It is value and performance that count. I wonder on what basis someone decides "I want the best cable for Rs1000". If it is Rs1001, what happens? Do you go bankrupt? When one looks for a better item, have a ceiling on your budget by all means but look for what is a better performer and value for money you spend, and most important, you should be able to perceive the improvement yourself, not what someone tells or writes.

Good luck.
murali

Why do we need expensive digital coaxial cable? IMO, any 75 ohm cable should do. Even we could use the RCA video cable (yellow one). I feel that even the red and white RCA cables would again be 75 ohms.

Actualy I didnt find much difference in sound quality by using the expensive cables. Only difference is build quality of cables. And in cheap cables there's more chances of connectors being broken ..and sometimes screwing up the amps connector if you frequently remove and connect them. And Some cheaper cables will not have a proper shielding , insulation ,so there will be more interfeirence.

And If you want to use the longer cables then cheaper cables easily loose the signal in few feets. Where as these quality cables doesnt loose signal even at longer lengths.

Expensive cables will have a good shielding and will be gold plated and they look Good ..who bothered about look :) . Maintanance will be easier and it works longer even more than 4 or 5 years. And chance of interfeierance is very less.

I got my coaxial digital cable for Rs.250 and it worked fine for past 2 years. Now my connectors getting loose..so sound gets interrupted. I need to change my cable.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back