Got my Squeezebox Touch - Initial impressions

Vijay_s

Got my Squeezebox touch Yesterday. As my Squeezebox server was ready on the day I ordered SB touch, it was matter of minutes to connect it and running.

It took only about 5-10 minutes to configure network and make it up and running.

Initial Impressions.

1. Player is very quick in selecting songs and playing over network. In fact faster than my 1.4Ghz mobile phone with local storage.

2. Reasonably Good built in DAC, I read somewhere in forum people saying SBT built-in DAC is a kind of equal to external DAC like musical fidility V-DAC. From my personal experience SBT not a replacement for external DAC like MF V-DAC.

3. Wireless streamer is as good or better than the wired streamer inside my Denon 3312.

4. Cross fade or fade out kind of option is not working for me, may need to look into to it again.

5. Even to play internet radio computer with SB server should be up and running. In my denon 3312 a connection to router is sufficient. If it is not the case expert can advise me here.

6. Yet to try local storage option like USB drive or USB flash.

7. Able to observe significant quality difference over FLAC and MP3.

8. Touch interface is not of much use as you always sit away from equipments for listening music.

9. SBT android app is a kind of buggy, so not 100% reliable to operate it.

10. A 30 degree backward angle force you to place it on lowest part of equipment rack for better visibility from a distance.

more..... may be later......

You don't need computer with SB server on to play Internet Radio. I have never setup my computer for SBT and was playing FLAC through 1 TB HDD directly connected to SBT and Internet radio from Wifi. Remember, every Squeezebox is also a Server. If you connect a HDD with music through USB on this SBT it can serve music to other SBs also.

Logitech's own app is very reliable and work smoothly for me.

You don't need computer with SB server on to play Internet Radio. I have never setup my computer for SBT and was playing FLAC through 1 TB HDD directly connected to SBT and Internet radio from Wifi. Remember, every Squeezebox is also a Server. If you connect a HDD with music through USB on this SBT it can serve music to other SBs also.

Logitech's own app is very reliable and work smoothly for me.

Can you share the hard disk model you are using? Does it have an external power? How much time it takes to restart after a power failure if number of songs are around 8K?

Yes, the HDD with external power is better. I have used portable also, but that used to have server disruptions. Then I installed a Seagate Free Agent External HDD with its own DC power adapter. Worked like a charm.

Also, please note, as I learned the hard way, Squeezebox is sensitive to Album Art files. They need to be small to medium size photos otherwise the server hangs! Not generally a problem as most ID3 tags have small files only. But if you have manually stored heavy jpegs in folders (>2 MB) then you might get an error.

I though I'd order the Transporter... but since then like a little boy in the candy store, I am confused again about which network device to go for!

Yes, the HDD with external power is better. I have used portable also, but that used to have server disruptions. Then I installed a Seagate Free Agent External HDD with its own DC power adapter. Worked like a charm.

Also, please note, as I learned the hard way, Squeezebox is sensitive to Album Art files. They need to be small to medium size photos otherwise the server hangs! Not generally a problem as most ID3 tags have small files only. But if you have manually stored heavy jpegs in folders (>2 MB) then you might get an error.

Thanks to Aashish351 for the imp tip on Album Art files,will now take necessary action on my ext WD 1 TB HD and see if I can connect to SBT without the HD hanging up.cheers

When you get a message "Local Server has stopped"... that is the actual reason for this problem... I had a very high res png file 5 mb in one Linn Records album that was causing the problem... I removed it and it worked...

Glad to be of help...

Seeker.... man! I understand your problem! I have an undelivered, lost in customs, TP90 amp from hlly audio too... Even that was around 12K!! Loss is a loss!

sorry to read about your amp aashish. even i had almost given up on my package when it was lying with customs, but somehow it saw the light of the day after a couple of months. happy with this, i didn't know what else was in store, until i opened the package. but that feeling of despair would also fade away, and infact, has already started to :)
can't do much except better than forgetting it and moving on.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back