Got my Wharfedale 9.5's.. First impressions

Kaushik, congrats on your new speakers!
I think the sub would work in all modes except pure direct. With the 9.5 and sw150 you will have no shortage of bass.
How does it sound with movies?

Thanks iAudio, yeah I think there won;t be any problem with bass now ;-).
Haven't played a movie yet. Need to test it tomorrow daytime. I don't want to wakeup the neighbours at night with guns blazing on the Omaha beach ;)

Congrats on your purchase!

I also own a Wharf 9.5 which I had originally paired with an Onkyo AVR and recently upgraded my setup to Marantz CD5001/PM7001. The combination sounds really sweet!

Looking forward to hear more impressions.. :) Of course, there is considerable burning to be done as I found out.

Also would like to know how what speaker postion works best for you as I am trying different configurations myself.. (my room size being about 15 x 20 ft.)

Cheers
Shriram

HI KAUSHK,
Thanks for help. I have zeroed on diamond 9.2 .but delivery will be next week . u wrote excellently about 9.5 . nice review.
keep in touch
sachin:)

BTW, thinking of Bi-amping the speakers, will that be a better option? [/QUOTE]

Sir,
I use 9.5 as fronts . They are excellant entry level towers . Nothing can beat them at entry level. You BI-AMP the speakers .There is definite improvement
in SQ. This is my experiance with my ONKYO AVR and 9.5 . Use equal length of wire. Connect fronts speaker pre outs of AVR to the first banana plugs of the speakers (tweeter / high frequency) and the back speaker preouts of AVR to second banana connections of the speakers ( woofer / lows ) .Observe the remarkable improvement in SQ. Of course not to the quality of dedicated sterio AMP.

Regards

I purchased 9 CS for Rs. 9000/- at Vectors , Hyd ,25 days back .I also got 5 mtrs of DAC SPK 16 gauge AWG speaker cable free of cost from them . Very kind of them.

Regards

I still remember my amazement when I heard my 9.5s for the first time. They've only got better along the way. Probably the best VFM speakers around. Cant go wrong with them.

Hi Suprateep,
I checked all the links and and too my limited knowledge also, Bi-amping means two different wires from two different amplifiers to drive the high and lows differently. And that's what exactly the Denon can do. There is a set of amplifiers for Surround backs which can be used for bi-amping with normal Front A or Front B(zone 2). So basically you have another pair of amps(Surround backs) driving the highs(or lows depending on which one is connected where.) along with the normal front A amps. If it was bi-wiring that would mean that I would be running two different wires from say Front A itself. I think I'm correct in assuming the bi-amping capability and correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always ready to learn.
Regards,
Thanks Shriram, will post my current positioning pictures. Burn in is going on ;)
Thanks SPKRISHNA for the details. I'll do it as I've extra length of wires anyway.
Sachin, nice meeting you there. 9.2 is definitely a good buy.
Thanks Svenkatesh, enjoying my speakers immensly ;-)

Hi Suprateep,
I checked all the links and and too my limited knowledge also, Bi-amping means two different wires from two different amplifiers to drive the high and lows differently. And that's what exactly the Denon can do. There is a set of amplifiers for Surround backs which can be used for bi-amping with normal Front A or Front B(zone 2). So basically you have another pair of amps(Surround backs) driving the highs(or lows depending on which one is connected where.) along with the normal front A amps. If it was bi-wiring that would mean that I would be running two different wires from say Front A itself. I think I'm correct in assuming the bi-amping capability and correct me if I'm wrong. I'm always ready to learn.

:) i like your approach. What you are proposing is actually biwiring - try this there are a lot of mixed reactions to biwiring and its benefits. I have seen some setups (including mine) where biwiring (m35 + onkyo 606) did not yeild any favourable/noticeable results. My Norge blows that combo away.

But two (identical) amps driving the lows and highs is another matter alltogether - you may try that demo somewhere my friend.

Some more links
http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/3152-how-bi-amp-denon-2309-a.html
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=975832
Bi-Amping...Yes or No? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Mr.konfused,
Check whether your AVR has Bi-Amping settings. In general all AVRs of 7.1 or more will have Bi-Amping settings. Once again I explain in a simpler manner for Bi Amping the speakers.
1. 7.1 AVRs will have surrounds back speakers .
2. We have four speaker connections plugs -
fronts ( +ve & -ve ) and surround backs (+ve & -ve )
3. Remove the gold connector plates of the speakers which connects
both +ves and another both-ves
3. Connect +ve of front and backs of the AVR to the two +ves of the speakers . The +ve of the
front of AVR to the tweeter +ve i.e high frequency and the +ve of the
back to the woffer +ve ie.low frequency
4. In a similar fashion connect the -ves
5. Set the AVR to the Bi- Amping mode

Regards

Last edited:
Thanks SPKRISHNA, that's exactly what I was trying to say to Suprateep when I said about Bi-amping on Denon 1910. This option is available and the surround backs can be used to drive the 2nd pair of posts. So this is technically Bi-amping and not bi-wiring. If it is Bi-wiring then I would have to use the same amp output (Front A) by just running two pair of wires instead one (and need to remove the jumpers in this case also). But I was talking of running the 2 pairs of wires separately from Front A and Surround Back respectively. Front A and Surround Backs are two different amplifier circuits and technically this is Bi-amping. Denon's Bi-amping will not be any great musically for bi-amping like it can be for two different stereo amplifies( it can't be as it uses the same power source) and I might not feel any difference also. But technically this is Bi-amping, not bi-wiring. Sorry Suprateep, I've to disagree with you as you are wrong in this case . Even all the links posted by you also suggest the same thing that I'm trying to say. But anyway these are just some technicalities which are just in the way of music ;) ..

Re: Got my Wharfedale 9.2's.. First impressions

Namaste ,
Around 5.30 pm wharfdale diamond 9.2 unloaded from auto. struggled to set up with denon 1908 for about 45 min to 1 hr as it was first experience to set avr & speakers . Auto set up reduced my burden AND stored all setting.
played Don Williams GYPSY WOMAN and experienced wonderful feelings. Then played nonstop roja hits .Believe me tu hi re tu hi re was such a pleasure can't describe it . Only thing it emits very plain sound for hindi old songs.I was confused between 9.5 and 9.2 diamond.Finally I am convinced with 9.2 diamond.(saved RS 11500)

SPECIAL THANKS TO- MR RAJAN BABU (HAL)
MR RAMESH BABU,KONFUSED (KAUSHIK)-HIFI MEMBER
LOKESH & TEAM OF VECTOR SYSTEM,BANGALOORE
&
ALL HIFIVISION MEMBERS

Congrats Sachin and it's nice to see that you are enjoying the speakers to fullest. And even for me, music listening have increased by leaps and bounds after a long time. Gonna give Roja/Bombay a listen today. AR Rahman gonna rock today ;)

Congrats on your purchase!
I also own a Wharf 9.5 which I had originally paired with an Onkyo AVR and recently upgraded my setup to Marantz CD5001/PM7001. The combination sounds really sweet!
Looking forward to hear more impressions.. :) Of course, there is considerable burning to be done as I found out.
Also would like to know how what speaker postion works best for you as I am trying different configurations myself.. (my room size being about 15 x 20 ft.)

Cheers
Shriram

Hi Shriram

Now that you have moved on to Marantz, i just thought i had ask - how did the Onkyo AVR pair up with the Wharfies? as in were you satisfied then with the music quality per se?

Hi Anirvan,

As far as the sound is concerned, the warm sounding Wharfedales paired pretty well with the Onkyo receiver, which happen to be on the brighter side. The amp's 65 w/ch was sufficient enough to drive the Wharfies effortlessly. Having heard the speakers with the marantz, I must say there was a fair amount of detail lacking in the soundstage and the lows were also not as tightly controlled with the Onkyo. It may not be fair to compare with a dedicted stereo amp like the marantz or even the relatively musical AVRs like Denon, and as such still a good speaker option that match well with the Onkyo.

Shriram

HI KAUSHIK,
Thanks for compliment.
file:///F:/01_-_Don_Williams_-_I_Recall_A_Gypsy_Woman_www.softarchive.net.mp3 link for song.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back