Great sounding LP records that don't cost an arm and a leg

It’s not about condition. The modern Beatles remasters I feel just don’t breathe like the originals. For Beatles I like the 70s EMI Box pressings to the originals. They are more open sounding. It’s not necessary the first press always sound the best. At times the second or third presses to my ears sound better. Examples of this are Beatles and Miles Davis KOB
Don’t agree about the condition part. What does it count if you have a great first press or even a greater second pressing or reissue if it’s heavily used ?

I have the original UK pressing of Court of Crimson King. To my ears it sounds nice. Never heard the remastered version though. Maybe it’s better. :)

Actually this is a pointless discussion because one buys what is available and what is affordable.

No not a pointless discussion because lot of us are crazy enough to spend hard earned money on 2-3/4/5 copies of the same album just to reach the finest SQ. :) :p

Don’t agree about the condition part. What does it count if you have a great first press or even a greater second pressing or reissue if it’s heavily used ?
What I meant to say was original pressing to my ears have a breath of life. Even a VG+ copy will have that. At least I can clearly hear it. It may have tics and some surface noise at some points which makes it undesirable. What I was trying to say was the new ones sound a bit dead to me. Mofi I think is the worst of the audiophile labels. Most of the titles are equalised horribly.

I too have a few audiophile pressings like DCC Elvis 24 karat and Elvis is Back. That’s because till date I haven’t found a quiet first press of Elvis.

No not a pointless discussion because lot of us are crazy enough to spend hard earned money on 2-3/4/5 copies of the same album just to reach the finest SQ. :) :p
Well if had limited funds, i would buy the best available copy of the albums I like. Instead of buying 5 average sounding albums in that money, I would just buy 2 of the best sounding albums from my list. That’s the way I have always bought. Be it CD or vinyl.

Well if had limited funds, i would buy the best available copy of the albums I like. Instead of buying 5 average sounding albums in that money, I would just buy 2 of the best sounding albums from my list. That’s the way I have always bought. Be it CD or vinyl.
True. But it isn’t always possible to know beforehand what sounds best. Myself - I have a horrible sounding LP of Fleetwood Mac Rumours and I had no clue beforehand. Had to shell out again to buy a different pressing that sounds better.

True. But it isn’t always possible to know beforehand what sounds best. Myself - I have a horrible sounding LP of Fleetwood Mac Rumours and I had no clue beforehand. Had to shell out again to buy a different pressing that sounds better.
I agree. Most Rumors first pressings sound bad. The Steve Hoffman mastered 2 lp 45 rpm set is a safe bet. I had that till I finally found a first pressing I liked better. :)

What I meant to say was original pressing to my ears have a breath of life. Even a VG+ copy will have that. At least I can clearly hear it. It may have tics and some surface noise at some points which makes it undesirable. What I was trying to say was the new ones sound a bit dead to me. Mofi I think is the worst of the audiophile labels. Most of the titles are equalised horribly.

I too have a few audiophile pressings like DCC Elvis 24 karat and Elvis is Back. That’s because till date I haven’t found a quiet first press of Elvis.
true that. the new ones do sound a bit lifeless.. And i too buy a repress only for 2 reasons: 1. I want a clean, quiet copy and (2) the first press is coming at a price that i don't want to pay.....

If you have the money and want the best sounding version you can always buy from Better Records. The lps are really expensive but the stuff is very good.

I have come across this site before. Honestly I don’t understand what they are doing exactly. They are sourcing NM records of acclaimed pressings and simply cleaning them with some proprietary tools , then selling them at such prices !! Doesn’t make much sense to me.

No two pressings made at the same time will sound the same. So what they do is buy 30-40 copies of the same album, hear them all and keep only those that sound good. They don’t have any proprietary cleaning process. They do the usual standard cleaning. So what they will do is buy 30-40 copies of the first press of say for example Rumors. And sell you only those that sound good. The rest are discarded.

I have to admit their copies sound wonderful. None of the first press NM copies I have sound anywhere near to their copies of the same album. Yes, it’s a huge price you pay for it.

No two pressings made at the same time will sound the same. So what they do is buy 30-40 copies of the same album, hear them all and keep only those that sound good. They don’t have any proprietary cleaning process. They do the usual standard cleaning. So what they will do is buy 30-40 copies of the first press of say for example Rumors. And sell you only those that sound good. The rest are discarded.

I have to admit their copies sound wonderful. None of the first press NM copies I have sound anywhere near to their copies of the same album. Yes, it’s a huge price you pay for it.

This is mind boggling ... the fact that no two copies of same pressing and same batch sound same. Makes this black magic hobby so enticing and frustrating at the same time.

Got hold of a first pressing of The Burning Train yesterday. Not NM though. Pops and clicks are there. But since the music is loud with almost no quiet passages unlike jazz tracks (except the title track ) it’s not creating much of an issue.
The sound is sheer brilliant. Must have got the best of the batch. :D

Nice business model though.
Wonder if any RD Kishore resellers have thought of implementing it here. :p

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back