Greetings from a test equipment fanatic in Bangalore

Dr_Ram

Hi:
It was quite a while ago that I registered on this website but never did get down to making a post. I am an OR and ex-IT professional with electronics as a hobby, trying to build it up into something more serious. I have a passion for old HP and Tektronix test equipment - oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers etc. and have managed to restore a few and also build replacement parts for hybrid-ICs that are no longer available. In my collection are beauties like a Genrad 1650, HP 334A, HP 141T, Tek 7854, Tek 2465 and then some. If there are any test equipment fanatics here it would be nice to touch base.
Cheers - Ramkumar

is this test equipment purely with the signal or do you test in anechoic chambers with a mic etc ? Always been interested in testing frequency responses

Dr_Ram super happy to meet likes of you; do you also work on DIY amplifiers and use your CROs for signal testing and verification? I ask because I was contemplating an Amplifier build (mostly for learning) and I think most of us lack good testing equipment (Multi meters are still accessible).

Thank you all for the responses.

@bluestar - I primarily use my equipment for electrical signal testing. As far as anechoic chambers go, their need has been reduced somewhat by the invention of MLS (impulse response techniques). A good discussion appears here:https://www.acoustics.org.nz/sites/www.acoustics.org.nz/files/journal/pdfs/Dodd,_G_NZA2012.pdf.

@yogibear - No, I don't have tube-based 'scopes. I restored an AM tube radio and sold it recently on olx since I really was not able to put it to use at home. I prefer to keep things I can use and tube scopes are not in that category :p. So I'm shopping for a valve radio that can play FM on :). The only working item which despite being "useless" I keep at home is a 1939 HRO WWII shortwave receiver which has a UK Air Ministry power supply for company.

@powerslave - Very much. I have done quite a bit of DIYing, and nowadays am fortunate to play the role of the principal EE of a US-based audio firm that makes multichannel OEM amps so that gives me lots of excuses to buy equipment:p. I did do some work for audiophiles but I decided to moved away from the "audiophile" world per se as I could not handle the snake oil.

Thank you all for the responses.

@bluestar - I primarily use my equipment for electrical signal testing. As far as anechoic chambers go, their need has been reduced somewhat by the invention of MLS (impulse response techniques). A good discussion appears here:https://www.acoustics.org.nz/sites/www.acoustics.org.nz/files/journal/pdfs/Dodd,_G_NZA2012.pdf.

@yogibear - No, I don't have tube-based 'scopes. I restored an AM tube radio and sold it recently on olx since I really was not able to put it to use at home. I prefer to keep things I can use and tube scopes are not in that category :p. So I'm shopping for a valve radio that can play FM on :). The only working item which despite being "useless" I keep at home is a 1939 HRO WWII shortwave receiver which has a UK Air Ministry power supply for company.

@powerslave - Very much. I have done quite a bit of DIYing, and nowadays am fortunate to play the role of the principal EE of a US-based audio firm that makes multichannel OEM amps so that gives me lots of excuses to buy equipment:p. I did do some work for audiophiles but I decided to moved away from the "audiophile" world per se as I could not handle the snake oil.
Thanks dr Ram, will go through. I guess the anachoic chamber frequency response testing is only required for speaker/end stage driver Testing, all other interim signal testing can be done electronically.

Thanks dr Ram, will go through. I guess the anachoic chamber frequency response testing is only required for speaker/end stage driver Testing, all other interim signal testing can be done electronically.
Not quite - you may be surprised to know that with a capable measurement mic, a speaker can also be tested with MLS and no anechoic chamber.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back