Group of 60 types of Resistors Kit

for individual, buying small quantity
CCR ( carbon composition resistance,1/4W, 5% tolerance) cost 25 paise (0.25 Rs) each or worst 50 paise each.
CFR/MFR ( carbon film/metal film resistance, 1/4W, 1% tolerance) cost 50 paise - 1 Rs
MFR ( metal film resistance, 1/4W, 0.1% tolerance) cost 1-100 Rs each (e14 or RS prices)

So do math -> 0.25X10x60 = 150 Rs, [600 x 1/4W CCR is not bad.]

BTW: what could be use of these noisy and 5% tolerance resistances?
[PS: I am not affiliated with seller.]

Last edited:
In my case I cannot get good resisters locally from my market I have to travel 3 hr to go to the place where I can get all good stuff.When I compared with time and travel expense( it will come around Rs300).In like that way this worth also I will get it in my hand :lol:

for individual, buying small quantity
CCR ( carbon composition resistance,1/4W, 5% tolerance) cost 25 paise (0.25 Rs) each or worst 50 paise each.
CFR/MFR ( carbon film/metal film resistance, 1/4W, 1% tolerance) cost 50 paise - 1 Rs
MFR ( metal film resistance, 1/4W, 0.1% tolerance) cost 1-100 Rs each (e14 or RS prices)

So do math -> 0.25X10x60 = 150 Rs, [600 x 1/4W CCR is not bad.]

[PS: I am not affiliated with seller.]

Thanks for that point BTW: what could be use of these noisy and 5% tolerance resistances? OM actually I have not noticed that :sad:

Most 5% or better tolerance commodity resistors these days are OK as far as noise is concerned, regardless of whether they're CFR or MFR. The only thing that I check for in most cases is whether the leads are soft and bend easily (indicates that it is copper), or if it is stiff (could be brass or steel). Steel is avoidable since it is magnetic and has EMI and eddy-current issues which are bad for sonics.

Almost all commodity resistors these days also have some steel or magnetic material in the body of the resistor - either steel end caps or Ni-Cr metal film. The only way to avoid these is to look for premium non-magnetic resistors with brass end caps and non-ferrous metal film. They're there, but relatively expensive and hard to find.

Noise is no longer an issue with most resistors in the market - it only shows up on some older carbon-composition resistors as background hiss. Even this hiss is not going to have any audible impact except for some biasing resistors for small-signal pre- stages, including MM/MC phono stages.

Most 5% or better tolerance commodity resistors these days are OK as far as noise is concerned, regardless of whether they're CFR or MFR. The only thing that I check for in most cases is whether the leads are soft and bend easily (indicates that it is copper), or if it is stiff (could be brass or steel). Steel is avoidable since it is magnetic and has EMI and eddy-current issues which are bad for sonics.

Almost all commodity resistors these days also have some steel or magnetic material in the body of the resistor - either steel end caps or Ni-Cr metal film. The only way to avoid these is to look for premium non-magnetic resistors with brass end caps and non-ferrous metal film. They're there, but relatively expensive and hard to find.

Noise is no longer an issue with most resistors in the market - it only shows up on some older carbon-composition resistors as background hiss. Even this hiss is not going to have any audible impact except for some biasing resistors for small-signal pre- stages, including MM/MC phono stages.

How do the smd thin film and thick film fare. Thin film are super expensive and are supposedly better, but how much difference between thick and thin film. is it worth the money, are there audible differences between the two.

How do the smd thin film and thick film fare. Thin film are super expensive and are supposedly better, but how much difference between thick and thin film. is it worth the money, are there audible differences between the two.

Frankly, I couldn't tell much of a difference between a KOA RK73 (SMD thick film) and a Susumu RG (SMD thin film), both in 0603 form-factor. In fact, the KOA sounds better at some locations in spite of it being maybe 1/5 th the price of the Susumu.

Excess noise (lower in a thin film) may make a difference in very small-signal stages like MC/MM phono/pre stages, but at line level or higher the differences would be inaudible.

Perhaps the lesson is that among the better brands (KOA, Susumu, Rohm, Vishay, Panasonic, etc.), the audible differences between the individual series are not that significant, because they're all pretty decent spec already.

Unfortunately, the most common SMD brand available in India is Yageo, which I have mixed feelings about. I have far better confidence about using KOA thick-film over Yageo thick-film, at least in the sugnal path and all critical biasing locations.

From our country how to get very quality product like dale any idea :sad:

EBay (US) or AliExpress would be your best bets. You may get a few odd values of NOS Dale at S.P.Road, Bangalore, but it's pure chance, and almost never a premium series like RLR, PTF, Z-foil, S102K, etc. Some wirewounds like RS-1A or RS-2B in small values may be be available from time to time, as well as CMF55, RN55, RN60 and RN65.

Frankly, I couldn't tell much of a difference between a KOA RK73 (SMD thick film) and a Susumu RG (SMD thin film), both in 0603 form-factor. In fact, the KOA sounds better at some locations in spite of it being maybe 1/5 th the price of the Susumu.

Excess noise (lower in a thin film) may make a difference in very small-signal stages like MC/MM phono/pre stages, but at line level or higher the differences would be inaudible.

Perhaps the lesson is that among the better brands (KOA, Susumu, Rohm, Vishay, Panasonic, etc.), the audible differences between the individual series are not that significant, because they're all pretty decent spec already.

Unfortunately, the most common SMD brand available in India is Yageo, which I have mixed feelings about. I have far better confidence about using KOA thick-film over Yageo thick-film, at least in the sugnal path and all critical biasing locations.

Have you tried the super expensive smd thin films (these cost some 50-100 inr per resistor), the ones that come with 5ppm tc. How much better are these, are these worth the price.

How do the smd thick films compare with thru hole ones metal films, specially in criticial places like feedback loops etc where the smds can get real close but thru holes cant get that close. Who wins in this trade off between noise and distance....:confused:

Have you tried the super expensive smd thin films (these cost some 50-100 inr per resistor), the ones that come with 5ppm tc. How much better are these, are these worth the price.

There are some Tantalum and Tantalum Nitride thin-films, from IRC and a few others. I haven't tried these, because I think they are at a point of diminishing returns for audio, and may only be relevant for measurement and instrumentation applications.

How do the smd thick films compare with thru hole ones metal films, specially in criticial places like feedback loops etc where the smds can get real close but thru holes cant get that close. Who wins in this trade off between noise and distance....:confused:

I still prefer through-hole over SMD at critical locations. There's a lot of choice in good through-hole resistors, they come in various power ratings and the higher wattage resistors tend to have a lot of thermal inertia, there's a fair number of non-magnetic through-hole resistors, and above all - they're available widely and not too pricey. Even the best through-hole resistors like the Vishay Z-foils are less than 10 dollars each, and the next best are less than a dollar, and prices drop quickly to ~10-cents even for very good resistors like NOS non-magnetic Dales.

SMDs in general are much cheaper, but premium SMDs for audio aren't easily available locally or in useful values.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back