Guidance for a hybrid HT cum stereo setup

PuppyDaddy

I use my current system for a mix of home theatre like movies and TV shows played via a Fire stick and also for listening to music by myself and in the background at parties etc. The music plays via a Squeezebox player — I have Spotify and SoundCloud plug-ins installed. I am using a Denon PMA-80 amp and a pair of Dynaudio Audience 62 speakers to complete the setup. The Squeezebox plugs into the amp while the fire stick goes into a splitter which outputs the audio via RCA to the amp and the video via HDMI to a projector.

I’m thinking about upgrading this setup for a few reasons, first the amp is beginning to show problems — it cuts out sometimes and the right channel occasionally becomes softer than the left. Second, the setup with Squeezebox is cumbersome. The player is old and the server runs on a Raspberry pi which seems to have a problem every 6 months or so. Basically, it’ll randomly not work and I have to debug it for 10-15 minutes but its enough that my wife doesn’t end up using it for music much. I’d really like something as easy as can be to play music. Third, after doing HT on a 2.0 for several years I’m tempted to get a 5.1 or 7.1 surround theatre.

I’ve been thinking about the following options
1. A fully wireless 5.1 setup like Sonos arc+One+Sub or possibly Sony but I’m not sure if this would give a great stereo listening experience
2. Replacing the amp with an AV receiver with built-in streaming and adding centre and rear speakers.
3. Adding a pair of wireless active speakers like KEF LS50 to simplify the music listening bit and leaving the HT setup as is

My room is not too large for HT viewing about 14’x12’. It’s just off the middle of the main living and dining area which is about 30’x20’. It’s a bit like a stubby T. When we have a party I play the music in the TV area and just turn it up a bit to let it flow into the living area.

Would love your suggestions on any of the options above. The main thing is to balance HT with music listening and make it much easier to stream music from Spotify or one of the hires streaming services.

A fully wireless 5.1 setup like Sonos arc+One+Sub or possibly Sony but I’m not sure if this would give a great stereo listening experience
this won't give a "Great stereo listening experience" - great being extremely subjective - but in most cases - it will be "good enough".
2. Replacing the amp with an AV receiver with built-in streaming and adding centre and rear speakers.
This should be fine too, and you can use the AVR function to stereo (just a button click from remote) to get stereo whenever you like.
3. Adding a pair of wireless active speakers like KEF LS50 to simplify the music listening bit and leaving the HT setup as is
If you want to go in that direction - sure - just additional clutter in my opinion if you plan to put it in the same area.

Alternatively - you have a great setup - I would
1 - get an AVR & use the PMA (if it can be fixed) to power the Audience as fronts in a 5.1/7.1 setup
2 - If your integrated can't be fixed - I would still keep the audience as fronts & maybe introduce a good but cheap (like O&B) amp to power them bypassing the AVR.

Thanks a lot Chander and Dr_rocket. A couple of naive questions coming up!

1. Can AVRs manage switching on the second amp? I worry that adding another piece of electronics to the chain makes the system harder to use not easier. But if it’s just one button press and both components spring to life then that’s pretty close to ideal.
2. What am I getting by adding a separate amp to drive the fronts? Put another way are there good AVRs (possibly more expensive) which can drive the Dynaudios by themselves without the need for a separate stereo amp?
3. I am assuming that the AVR will have video out for the projector and the fire stick (4K) can be plugged into one of the HDMI sockets?

Finally, any audition recommendations for center and rears which would match well with the Audience 62? I would love to get a full set of Dynaudios but I think they no longer retail the Audience line.

1 - You absolutely do not need a separate amp - most AVRs are pretty capable.
2 - I run my setup directly through an AVR. No issues. There are some advantages to be had with an additional amp, specially for stereo playback - but in most cases -you should be fine without.
3 - When you say video out - your projector should have an HDMI In right?

Finally, any audition recommendations for center and rears which would match well with the Audience 62?
Personally only you can tell. I would say - go for a similar center - for surrounds you should be fine with most things.

Thanks!

Finally, any audition recommendations for center and rears which would match well with the Audience 62? I would love to get a full set of Dynaudios but I think they no longer retail the Audience line.
Instead of matching the centre while auditioning its better to hear for vocal intelligibility from the same, its the hardest part in a HT to get right as majority of the centre speakers I have heard either have too much heft in the vocals or sound muddy and suppressed. This is the reason I chose to opt for sonos beam 2 and then added the One SL and will add the sub next. My room size is 12x18, I usually watch tv series or formula1 over the weekends and a movie or two in a month so even though a 5.1 will undoubtedly be superior to what I am using its too much of a hassle to setup.

Thanks a lot Chander and Dr_rocket. A couple of naive questions coming up!

1. Can AVRs manage switching on the second amp? I worry that adding another piece of electronics to the chain makes the system harder to use not easier. But if it’s just one button press and both components spring to life then that’s pretty close to ideal.
2. What am I getting by adding a separate amp to drive the fronts? Put another way are there good AVRs (possibly more expensive) which can drive the Dynaudios by themselves without the need for a separate stereo amp?
3. I am assuming that the AVR will have video out for the projector and the fire stick (4K) can be plugged into one of the HDMI sockets?

While you have to switch on the AVR and stereo amp separately, there is no hurry to get the stereo amp now. AVR will drive them fine, stereo amp may add some more musicality, considering that you have pretty good speakers.

AVR has hdmi out for connecting to TV or projector. You can plug any input devices into hdmi in ports in the AVR, including firetv stick.

Thanks for all the helpful guidance everyone! I spent some time thinking through what I really want to get out of the upgrade and keep coming back to enjoying the music more easily. I think I am going to park the 5.1 HT for now and focus on the music end of things.

My thinking is to either replace the Denon with a streaming capable integrated amp or add a simple to use steaming device with a good DAC and an easy to use app. With this I can add wireless active speakers into the living space to bring the music out from the TV area and into the whole home. Later I could add a dedicated sub to the mix to get a 2.1 setup.

For the streaming device I have shortlisted the Yamaha WXA-50 or the Blusound Node as good options. For the wireless speakers the Naim Muso Qb, B&W Zeppelin or KEF LSX II are on my list to try out. I am planning to see if can demo some of these in the coming week. Would any of you know dealerships in Bangalore who might carry any of these products?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back