Harddisk repair

soulofmusic

I have a 500GB Maxtor harddisk which died on me sometime back....

I am luking for a decent repair shop in Bangalore for that...

Any suggestions?

This illustrates the need to back up your drives. Every hard drive has a birthday, and a date of death. Just like humans we cannot predict when it will die. Companies that can recover data are frightfully expensive, and can run to several lakhs. This is only for people that have lost very precious data.

What most of these firms do is install new electronics on your drive, then attempt to move your platter to a same type drive, but the results are not always good. It requires clean room conditions, and technicians with steady hands and good sense as to what is wrong. In some cases, the Earth's magnetic field has damaged the data, and the only solution is to keep your drives on a planet without a magnetic field.:D

Sympathy.

I have a 1TB at a data-recovery shop just now. A lot of the stuff over the past four months, that I thought was backed up --- wasn't. Confession: I'm a retired sys admin, how could I do that?

I have a Seagate drive where the USB mini-B socket seems to have fallen off during my move to Bangalore. I think that drive was only redundant backup, but I'd still like to make it operational if I can. Does anyone know of a place in Bangalore (preferably near ORR/Sarjapur Rd) where I can have it fixed?

The end of the line for my crashed hard disk.

Took it to two data recovery companies. The first, Micron, said the read head was dead and it could not be fixed. The second company, Stellar, said it was a hardware problem, but the data could be recovered: cost Rs.49,000. A few photos and some music is just not worth that.

Now for a warranty claim on the disk.

@Balu613 - You can find some small time players on SP road. I got mine checked through one last weekend. He confirmed that disk is working... only case needs to be changed...

As you enter SP road, there are few on the right hand side... generally these companies would be 1st/2nd floor...

You can contact following they do repair Hard Disk
Etechies 91, 2ND Floor, J C Road, Bangalore -80-49341602
Disk Doctors - 9886440644

I got this fixed... a DIY job :)

Youtube pitch in with 'know-how' to open the enclosure... local PC shop pitched in to verify disk is working... SP road pitched in with new 3.5 HD enclosure... and my harddisk is back on its toes with < Rs. 500/-

Gr8 feeling to get bck all the 500gb movies, sitcoms collected with so much of patience... at tht too juz in 500/- bucks ;)

That's good!

(and I now have a new 1Tb disk in my machine, for rather more than Rs.500 ;) and am being more careful about backups in future)

thanx to those who gave some real suggestions..... and many thnx to who highlighted the need to taking back.... afterall whr wud v b without prophets!

I didn't loose that much data, but my pride is still hurting, because I was a systems manager. And I'm taking the second of two external copies as I type this.

Hi,

With great embarrassment I have to say my 2 TB HDD has crashed and I have lost important data. Yeah, I know I should have backed up, but then this was my backup location, the main location also had to be formatted for a different reason.

Its a WD 2TB My Book essential. Should I be trying online tools or are there reasonably priced data recovery service providers. The hdd is fairly new so I think its under warranty so wont try and removing the enclosure.

Primary, data is pictures and some files of around 100 GB. I was able to copy around 20 GB of pictures after allowing the power to be removed and 'resting' the hdd. Not sure if it will let me do this many times.

Checkdisk no longer recognizes the drive so cannot recover bad sectors, so did a software called recoverybull that I tried.

Any suggestions welcome.

There is a tool called testdisk that will look much deeper and find much more. It is capable of rebuilding a lost partition table, I think. However, it is not particularly user friendly. If your disk is recognised as a disk, you still have a chance.

What you must be careful about is do nothing that writes to that disk. I think you are safe to use testdisk to see what it can see, but I am not an expert. You may do much better to just give it to someone who is. At least see the link and see what you think

I wish I could be smug about this: my previous posts show that I can't :eek:. Sympathy, and good luck...

The end of the line for my crashed hard disk.

Took it to two data recovery companies. The first, Micron, said the read head was dead and it could not be fixed. The second company, Stellar, said it was a hardware problem, but the data could be recovered: cost Rs.49,000. A few photos and some music is just not worth that.

Now for a warranty claim on the disk.

Sir, which HDD ? Seagate or WD? I'm planning to get a new 2 tb. Your experience will help me.

My experience is too small a sample!

My failed disk was Seagate. I replaced it with a WD :)

(but someone else might say the other way around, which is why you need a bigger sample)

I can say that the Seagate always ran hot. At times, it approached 40C; one of the hottest things in my PC. What I can't say is whether this was a fault of this particular disk, which lasted about three years, or a feature of the model.

Anyway, I replaced it with a 1tb WD Caviar Green, which means I now have a 1Tb and a 500Gb, both Caviar Greens, and they stay in the lower 30s centigrade.

The only people who really know which hard disks to buy are corporate buyers who see the problems over hundreds of disks. And, I suppose, the shops, who see the returns --- but they might not give us unbiased advice.

In the end, the only thing we can do is ... keep backups :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back