Harman-Kardon avr 70 - PC configuration

raghav3276

Hi,

I recently purchased Harman-Kardon AVR 70 + JBL Cinema 300 HT system.
I've connected the AVR to the PC using HDMI, brought out from NVIDIA card.

Everything works great as per the current configuration. But, I am facing some issues while playing DTS encoded videos(I've downloaded some demo videos, just to try them out).

I am using Windows 8.1 and using VLC Player to play the video. Now, I have two concerns regarding the setup :

1) First, in the windows sounds and settings, I've configured the output as 5.1 surround. In this case, when I play the video, the AVR shows "PCM", instead of "DTS". But, I am still able to feel the surround effect. In this mode of configuration, I am not able to switch to Neo:6 or ProLogic-II modes.

2) In the second case, I've configures the system as 2.1 in the windows sounds and settings. Here, I am able to switch to Neo:6 and ProLogic-II modes, and still get the 5.1 effect from the DTS file.

Now my questions are as follows :

1) How will I be able to get DTS to show up on my AVR? I've read about software decoders ffdshow, and like wise. Do I need to use those to show DTS on my AVR?
2) Is the DTS quality/effect same as that of PCM?
3) Why is that I am not able to switch to Neo:6 or ProLogic-II modes while configured the system in 5.1 configuration.

Thanks in advance
Raghav

Try pot player. Supports more formats. I use it myself. Aldo another home theater software is xbmc. Try pot player. It is very simple and will let you play DTS, Dolby formats passthrough to avr. Once you download it then post here.

dts NEO 6 & DOLBY PROLOGIC II are used to convert 2 channels in to surround mode,so when u r using the 5.1 channels this cannot be switched on..

PCM is 2 channels... If your AVR shows PCM signal then the settings have to be changed in VLC mediaplayer... Assuming your source file has DTS audio, VLC is down mixing to PCM & sending that to AVR....

Try changing it to bit-stream...

I too have connnected my PC to AVR thru HDMI , play movies thru xbmc.... Pretty simple & straight forward settings...

I've tried with xbmc and it worked..!! The pass through configuration was pretty much simple..
I've also tried potplayer but couldn't get d setup right :(

Is there any difference sound-quality wise if i choose potplayer or MPC-HC over xbmc??
Is there any way to achieve the pass through in vlc??

Thanks

If its bitstream there is no difference BTW xbmc is one of the best software for home theater. Set it right and you will have your mini theater ready

PCM is 2 channels... If your AVR shows PCM signal then the settings have to be changed in VLC mediaplayer... Assuming your source file has DTS audio, VLC is down mixing to PCM & sending that to AVR....

Try changing it to bit-stream...

I too have connnected my PC to AVR thru HDMI , play movies thru xbmc.... Pretty simple & straight forward settings...
PCM can be multi channel also

And in order to get dtsHd/dolby trueHD on display
U have to use ARCSOFT media player
This is the.only player i came across for bitstream passthrough from PC HDMI

@raghav3276

Please put up a review of your HK system. Not many review of the set up is available in this forum (and elsewhere also). In the sub 45k, this is an formidable set up (specially because of unavailability of YHT 299 and overoptimistic pricing of the YHT 2910 ).

This is an excellent setup guide for MPC-HC. Try it out step by step and you will enjoy it.

Thanks for the guide.

I loved the user interface of XBMC very much, bus also wanted to use MPC-HC because of the video quality improvement reasons.

Recently, I've gone through some posts, through which I could use MPC-HC as an external player for XBMC, and configured as such.

Finally, configured madVR from the guide provided by you, and now it feels great.

XBMC + (MPC-HC + madVR) = Awesome combo ;)

Thanks for the guide.

I loved the user interface of XBMC very much, bus also wanted to use MPC-HC because of the video quality improvement reasons.

Recently, I've gone through some posts, through which I could use MPC-HC as an external player for XBMC, and configured as such.

Finally, configured madVR from the guide provided by you, and now it feels great.

XBMC + (MPC-HC + madVR) = Awesome combo ;)

Great enjoy the setup :clapping:

Also, I am trying to stream audio from phone to the AVR. I tried two approaches :

1. Phone---(DLNA)--->PC(XBMC)--HDMI-->AVR

2. Phone---(DLNA)--->TV---(HDMI:ARC)--->AVR

I found a difference in the quality of audio. The second approach gave me a decent quality of sound when compared to the first approach.

Why there is a quality drop, when streamed through XBMC?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back