HD audio and media player

m.a.sara

Hi,

If I have a mkv file having HD audio -> i play thru WD live(only DTS no HD audio)
-> connect via an AVR (that can decode HD audio), can i get 7.1 output?

If not, any alternative to get 7.1 but i still use WD live?

HD audio can only be transferred from HDMI. connect with it and if your avr supports decoding, then you are all set.

WDTV Live supports DTS and Dlby Digital and both of these signals can be transmitted to the AVR thru a HDMI Cable only. Nd moreover in the settings-->Audio Video--> go to Audio and select output thru HDMI.. (Not stereo)

HD audio can only be transferred from HDMI. connect with it and if your avr supports decoding, then you are all set.

you mean i can get 7.1 output right?

so if avr(my case yamaha v571) supports DTS HD, then a basic media player (without HD audio or even no DTS) vs advanced media player that supports HD audio.... is it all the same wrt getting 7.1 audio? (provided i have my source mkv having HD audio)

WDTV Live supports DTS and Dlby Digital and both of these signals can be transmitted to the AVR thru a HDMI Cable only. Nd moreover in the settings-->Audio Video--> go to Audio and select output thru HDMI.. (Not stereo)

yes..but DTS and DD is only 5.1

my query is how to get 7.1 output from WD live hub? with yamaha v571(that supports HD master audio), through HDMI connection can i still get 7.1 audio output?

I think WDTV live passes through Dolby TrueHD via HDMI in bitstream format. You need to set HDMI audio to either bitstream or Raw. That way, your receiver will do the decoding of TrueHD.

I dont think WDTV decodes any of the HD audio format. It just decodes DD and DTS which is 5.1. Another thing you should try with 5.1 sources on the receiver is Dolby PL II Movie mode. It mapps 5.1 to 7.1. The effect is quite good and very seamless.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back