HD Sound through hdmi cable - Airtel DTH

sukhas19

Hi Guys,

any one has connected the dth set up box directly to an AVR? do you get HD audio(5.1) in the hdmi cable directly?

regards,
sukhas

Hi

I tried that with my AVR using hathway HD box and I get Dolby Digital on display of my Marantz avr....since this is risky as set top boxes can send electrical currents which can fry the HDMI board of the AVR, I hooked the same to the TV and took the TV's digital out to the AVR (optical).

Regardless a digital signal is recd by the avr....

Last edited:
Having Tata Sky. Right now not getting Maa HD in Dolby. Only stereo. Still showinng DD in AVR. Anyone else facing the same problem?

Connected the AVR thorough Audio Return Channel of my tv for my Airtel box. But the avr shows DTS neo cinema. I don't think this is giving full Dolby digital.

You need to set DD+ (not DD) in your Airtel DTH setup for HDMI output.

Audio return channel of TV will always give stereo.

My Airtel HD bo has been connected to a Marantz receiver for over a year now. It correctly switches to the source signal, Stereo, DD, DD+. When Stereo is set in the STB menu, then all channels are in Stereo.

MaSh

I have connected my Airtel HD box directly to AVR through HDMI. AVR out connected to TV's ARC supported HDMI. Works well. DD or DD+ depending on channel displayed and sound played through surround speakers.

since this is risky as set top boxes can send electrical currents which can fry the HDMI board of the AVR

Is it really risky business to connect DTH box's HDMI out to AVR HDMI in? So I wonder the same should also be the case for the LED TV's when connecting the DTH box's HDMI out to TV's HDMI in...right?

Finally connected the spdif out from the set top box to the AVR. Now getting DD without any issues.

Hi

I tried that with my AVR using hathway HD box and I get Dolby Digital on display of my Marantz avr....since this is risky as set top boxes can send electrical currents which can fry the HDMI board of the AVR, I hooked the same to the TV and took the TV's digital out to the AVR (optical).

Regardless a digital signal is recd by the avr....

This is non-sense. There's no such "Danger". The set-top boxes are manufactured according to industry standard specs, which includes HDMI spec.

btw: Every cable out there send "electrical currents" - that's how a wire works.

This is non-sense. There's no such "Danger". The set-top boxes are manufactured according to industry standard specs, which includes HDMI spec.

btw: Every cable out there send "electrical currents" - that's how a wire works.
If you have followed forum,you will know some known issues especially in rainy season.Many have lost HDMI boards in AVR.

what has that, necessarily, got to do with hdmi cables or set top boxes? there are millions who have used and continue to use similar setups in all kinds of weather without any problem.

I think that's more to do with the area one lives in and how prone the dish is at attracting a lightening. These are circumstantial disasters and if destined to happen, will happen with or without hdmi. Some onkyo had a an issue, but that was not a set top box thing in my opinion. All sources are best connected to a receiver with a single hdmi going to the display. This is Not a risky connection, however, accidents do happen. If the area is prone to low lightening then unplug the set top box cable to be safe.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Well it's obvious that it has nothing to do with HDMI per se, as the person was suggesting. It can happen with any cable when there's a large surge. The way to prevent that is to use lightning protector rods as has been done for 100s of years ... albeit we in India don't understand or give importance to it.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back